(Topic ID: 223361)

Help with dropping 12V to 9V from WPC Driver Board J116, J117 or J118?

By Walamab

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by kbliznick
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

untitled (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Walamab.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I'm working on a homemade mod for my Demolition Man. I found a set of 12V LED angle eye rings made for going around car headlights. At 12V they draw about 600mA and are INCREDIBLY bright. Using my bench power supply and dropping the supplied voltage to 9V produces a better brightness and subsequently lower current draw.

My question is...Can I simply connect 4 diodes in series to drop the 12V from J116, J117, or J118 on the driver board to ~9V (4X0.7V=2.8V; 12V-2.8V=9.2V)?

Is there a better (and simple) way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

#6 1 year ago

I did some testing last night with the Diode idea with both LED rings connected. Current draw, as indicated by my bench power supply, was 10mA @ 12VDC. Voltage measured at positive connection to LED rings was right at 9.2VDC. I left it connected for several minutes and could not detect a temperature rise in the diodes.

#8 1 year ago

This is looking like an easy/elegant option too. I think I'll order one to tinker with.

found these 6 for $12 @ amazon.com link »

Thanks!

#10 1 year ago

Does the service outlet stay on when the main switch is turned off? If not this is also a good option.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Stafford Township, NJ
$ 269.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 50.00
Boards
PinSound

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Walamab.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside