(Topic ID: 93256)

Help with DIY LED mod: FIXED! Pics posted.

By Dommer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Dommer
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-432.jpg
image-451.jpg
image-307.jpg
image-212.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dommer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I'm making a gumball mod for TZ since I pretty much have all the parts laying around. I ordered some color changing LEDs (ebay.com link: itm)
When I hook them up to a 9 volt battery to test them, they worked great. When I tested hooking them up to a GI light on my Earthshaker (My TZ is dismantled and not working) they just stayed on red. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the colors to change. Do I need to add some extra components?

#3 9 years ago

That's what I was thinking it was. Does anyone know of any safe DC power points on a TZ?

I was also thinking about installing a battery pack so I could add a TV Mod with the slide show and the color changing door mod. Maybe not the most professional way to rig them up, but it's within my ability and knowledge.

#5 9 years ago

I'll try making a bridge rectifier. Does it matter what type of diodes I use?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I'm all for DIY and learning, but you might be re-inventing the wheel with this. There are color changing LEDs already packaged with the right supporting parts to use in pinball machines' GI.
http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1838.htm

I have a couple of those, but am worried they might now fit well in the top of the gumball machine. might do it if this doesn't work. reason i'm doing this DIY style is, well, it's WAY cheaper, and i had all the parts except for color changing LEDs, which I wanted to try instead of the ones i have laying around. also have some diodes so gonna give the bridge rectifier a shot. if that doesn't work, i'll either see if the color changing 555s i have will fit and look right or just do a mish-mash of different colored LEDs i have laying around. hoping the bridge rectifier works so i can also wire red/blue flashing LEDs to the 'load gumball' light!

I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes when i get around to trying the bridge rectifier.

#12 9 years ago

It worked! made a simple bridge rectifier with 1N4001 diodes (like this one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/4_diodes_bridge_rectifier.jpg) and now the LEDs change color. red/blue flashing LED works as well. need to complete the resistor next work (can only do two LEDs in series per resistor) but would work out great. ill have 4 sets of LEDs total, anyone know if one bridge rectifier will do it for all 4 of them?
EDIT: finished resistors, looks like one bridge rectifier will do it.

3 weeks later
#15 9 years ago

Got it installed. Its got a little flicker, but not too bad. The color changing strips from comet pinball are going to make this a lot easier for everyone else!
Some pics.
image-212.jpgimage-212.jpgimage-451.jpgimage-451.jpgimage-432.jpgimage-432.jpgimage-307.jpgimage-307.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.50
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 12.95
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dommer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-diy-led-mod-colors-not-changing?tu=Dommer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.