Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I've been having a short problem on my Congo for a little while. Short also happens when just playing the game. A whole column of switches go out (all the AMY lane switches and CONGO targets in lower playfield). Pressing any of those switches in the test menu reports a row short across the row of that switch. If I replace the U20 chip, everything will be fine for a few days and then same problem without doing anything to the game. I've done a lot of work to the game in the past but this started happening after most of the work.

I get that there is a short somewhere with metal touching metal. I've tried to following the wires from the switches that go out but cannot find any bare wires or anything suspect. I also just looked over all the wiring trying to find any issues. I found a few things that could of been soldered better but fixing those did not help. Nothing looks hacked or burnt. Where should I look for the short? Would it be something with the wires relating to the switches that go out or could it be somewhere else? I'm still a novice at repairs so not really sure how to address a problem like this.

#2 7 years ago

Anyone have switch shorts happen during gameplay?

#3 7 years ago

You might be SOL on this one. Not much advice other that chase down the short, which is my least favorite thing to do. GI Bulb shorts can fry u20. I guess in theory a bulb could be gradually shorting the ic as the game vibrates. Free bump for you if nothing else

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Anyone have switch shorts happen during gameplay?

If a switch is shorting internally, yes. And can be tough to figure out which one.

LTG : )

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the info. Didn't think about the short being internal to a switch. Could that be any switch or just one on the column of dead switches? I know these can be tough to figure out but hoping to get at least some direction.

Can a pop bumper bulb cause this problem? I have one that is finicky - sometimes goes out and then back on. I thought it was just a contact issue with the bulb but maybe bigger problem? Seems like the gi is on a different circuit than switches but that's the sort of thing I don't know.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Could that be any switch or just one on the column of dead switches?

I'd suspect them. I had one years ago on my AFM. Come and go, drove me nuts. Was cleaning it one day and leaning on the upper left side of playfield a short reported on the DMD. I replaced the closest micro switch to the area and got lucky, it was the one.

LTG : )

#7 7 years ago

A buddy of mine had this problem on a Shrek. There was a wire very close to a flipper bracket that had worn a small spot off of the insulation. When it would touch, it would take out U20 and a whole row of switches would be out.

1 week later
#8 7 years ago

Just to follow up, I think I fixed the short. It's been playing short free for a while so looking good. It looks like the problem was the main bundle of wires that go from the play field to the head. It was resting in front of the speaker and was catching on to the speaker grill or other metal speaker bits when the play field was pushed back into place. I found one thin wire that looked like it had some insulation wear. After fixing the wire, moving the wires behind the speaker, and replacing the U20 chip everything has been good for many games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-congo-short-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.