Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by knee1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hello, I recently purchased my first pinball machine, it's a 1974 Chicago Coin EM pinball machine. It's worked great for months until last weekend and all the lighting behind the back glass stopped working. All the playing field lighting is working just fine and the rest of the machine seems fine.

I checked all of the fuses and they're fine. I don't have any schematics so it's been a challenge tracing the connection.

Any insight solving this problem would be greatly appreciated!

#2 8 years ago

Since it just started and the fuses are fine, start simple. Reseat the Jones plugs. They are the connectors that are between the cabinet and the head. A little corrosion could make them work intermittently. Then, check to insure the Jones plugs are visually connected (each pin) and no wires broken.

#3 8 years ago

Did you pull the fuses out to check them? If not, do so and check for continuity. May look good by eye, but not when 'buzzed' out.

#4 8 years ago

Make sure the fuse holders are not cracked. You'll notice the fuses are fed with 1 maroon/white wire on one side of the fuses and leaves the fuses as 2 separate wires. 1 for the playfield, 1 for the back box ,both via the
LOCK RELAY which I think is the second relay from the coin door on the bottom. The colors FROM the fuse holder to the lock relay vary, could be blue/red, blue/white, blue/red etc., but you should see these connected (thru contacts on the lock relay)
to a solid Blue for the playfield, and a blue/white for the backbox, down on the lock relay. Check for good connections on this relay, clean and or bend contacts as needed. If that's not it, you can follow the blue/white wire from the lock relay thru the jones plugs to the backbox to see if you can find where your loosing power.

#5 8 years ago

Thank you everyone for the prompt feedback. I found a loose wire and we're back in business!

2 weeks later
#6 8 years ago

Glad to hear you got the light back working.

Just got the same machine.. having trouble with start up.... relay switch contacts may not be set right.
Anyone have a good functioning machine and willing to take pictures under the hood?
Does anyone have or can upload pictures of all relay switches so I can duplicate and hopefully get a proper start up/game ready?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-chicago-coin-jukebox-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.