• Latest reply 7 years ago by Playdium
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160911_171057 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello, so i have owned other EMs before however ive never really had to work on them much..lucky me

I just picked up this Buccaneer the other day and its having issues with its start sequence? I have a local collector/member coming by tonight to give me a hand. I figured i would post this quick video showing what the game is doing right now in hopes of getting some advice on where to start.

Thanks

20160911_171057 (resized).jpg20160911_171057 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Hey all, I'm the guy swinging by WB's place to lend a hand. We'll be actively able to check this thread, so if people want to chime in and help pseudo-live from 5pm EST onward (or anytime) please feel free to join us in troubleshooting the pin. Too bad we can't stream it, would be interesting to have a live-repair session.

For reference, the previous owner was able to get the pin to reset and GI to light up, but the outhole kicker never fired and playfield stayed dead. In his efforts to repair it, things seem to have gotten a little more messed up. It's not resetting, the GI is staying off aside from backbox, and the outhole kicker fires constantly even when the ball isn't in the outhole. Guessing the score motor is running based on the sound in the video. I'm going to check the basics, outhole switch, etc when I get there in a bit.

Advice welcome, looking forward to getting this one running!

#3 7 years ago

Do you have the schematic?

I guess I'd check if/why the ball return relay (O) is stuck on. With the power off, make sure that the normally-open lock-in switch on the O relay (with the blu-white-red & blu-yel wires) can toggle between closed and open when you actuate it by hand. (Also ensure that switch pair isn't shorted closed due to bent/touching solder tabs or a solder splash, stray wire, etc). If that switch can't open, the O relay will stay engaged and the periodically closing motor 4C switch will complete the path to repeatedly pulse the ball return coil.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

. . . Too bad we can't stream it, would be interesting to have a live-repair session. . .

That sounds kinda fun to me. Maybe that will become a thing.

#5 7 years ago

Found the ball return relay "O" switches.
Here is a quick video of where we are.

#6 7 years ago

The ball return mechanism could have bent Cam. The part that kicks the ball. Remove the apron, manually see how it lines up when a ball is placed there. Check that there is nothing causing a jam in the ball trough.

#7 7 years ago

Dirtflipper gave this advice to a Buccaneer owner with no startup:

Manually reset the sequence bank under the playfield.
Manually reset the score reels to 0.
Unlatch the AX, BX, JX interlock relays in the backbox.
Manually reset the Ball Count unit to zero (it's also in the backbox).
At this point you can trip the Start relay (on the bottom cab board) and see if it fires up. Score motor should run briefly and kick the ball out to the plunger, and doing that should step the ball count unit to Ball 1. Playfield lights should then be on, and flippers active. Then can test the game.

And also, here is the startup sequence for 1P Atlantis (1977). Should be similar to your 1P 1976.

1. Inserting a coin or pressing the replay button actuates the 'S' (start) relay.
2. This relay will lock in through its own switch and a motor 2B switch.
3. The following sequence takes place through the closed switches on 'S' relay.
3a. 'R' relay is actuated.
3b. The motor starts running.
3c. A motor 2C switch actuates the total play meter and the 'AX' relay, resets the ball count unit and subtracts the replay unit.
3d. Switches on motor 1A and motor 1D adds the hit unit once, the run off switch then runs hit unit to zero position.
4. When 'AX' relay is actuated, it is locked in by the armature of 'AX' relay reset coil. Through closed switches on 'AX' relay and the score unit runout switches the units are reset to zero through switches on motor 1A and motor 4A. When all units are reset and motor 2B makes, 'AX' relay reset coil is actuated. This releases the armature on 'AX' relay and opens the switches. The reset cycle is now complete.
5. Place the ball in the out hole. When the ball makes the ball return switch, 'Q' relay is actuated. When 'Q' closes 'P' actuates through normally closed switches on 'O', motor 1C and 'S'. 'P' runs the motor nd actuates 'O' through motor 4C and 'S'. 'O' locks in through normally closed switches on 'N', 'M', 'L', 'S' relays. The game is now set to play.
6. Press the right flipper button and the motor starts running through closed switches on 'Q' and 'O' relays. When motor 2C closes the ball shooter activates through a closed switch on 'O' and shoots the ball onto the playfield. When the ball return switch opens 'Q' relay de-energizes and completes the circuit from the flipper switches to the flipper coils. If the ball fails to hit a scoring contact 'O' relay remains locked in there by keeping the circuit to 'P' open, therefore the ball count unit will not add another ball.

#8 7 years ago

Progress update: Found that the 6th position on the ball count unit was bent out of alignment. It's supposed to be closed until the final ball drains, which advances the ball count unit from 5th position to 6th, opening that switch. Because it was constantly open, no power was getting to the playfield, outhole kicker, etc. This has been corrected, so now we have:

Add credit, press start/reset, game resets and outhole kicker fires ball into shooting lane.

Current problem: The switch in the trough between the outhole kicker and the shooting lane is supposed to trigger the ball count unit to advance from "0" position to "1" and light Ball 1 in play. It's not working. We manually triggered it, no luck there.

If we manually advance the Ball Count Unit coil, Ball in Play 1 lights, and the game works! Flippers, scoring (mostly) works, etc. So the major issue now is figuring out why the trough switch does not cause the Ball Count unit to function at all.

Thoughts?

#9 7 years ago

Wanted to follow up one more time tonight to let everyone know where this was at when I left WB's place. I did some additional cleaning/adjustment on the Ball Return Relay and I think perhaps we may have solved the trough switch/ball count not advancing issue. It's hard to tell because there is a broken piece in the outhole kicker area we discovered. There is a plastic white piece that the ball rests on when it drains into the outhole, and that plastic piece presses the switch down to make contact. The plastic piece is broken and detached, so it won't press the outhole switch properly.

By manually pressing the switch when the ball drains, the kicker now fires. Unfortunately, the broken piece blocks it from firing with enough force to send the ball up the trough into the shooting lane, but if we push the ball through manually (or simply put the ball in the shooting lane and manually trigger the trough switch, the Ball Count Unit advances and Ball in play goes up as it should. More testing is needed, but it looks like we're almost there.

Some items/issues of note:

- Only the 10pt chime seems to be working, but all scoring on targets functions from a score reel perspective.
- The 10's score reel or relay appears to be getting locked on at times. We tested this by repeatedly hitting the right kicker, which scores 10 pts (one of the few targets that scores 10). Eventually, the score reel and/or 10 pt relay in the back back lock on, buzzing loudly, and other scoring/target issues begin to occur due to the locked reel. I've suggested WB clean the reel(s) and check the switches, looks like a simple fix I hope

I think if we can fix that plastic piece on the outhole area, we'll be mostly in business and just tracking down the little things. More to come, thanks all. I'm off to bed.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

I think if we can fix that plastic piece on the outhole area, we'll be mostly in business and just tracking down the little things.

Pinball Resource might have that part. It may not be on their web page, as not all of their parts are on line.

#11 7 years ago

Common piece that is usually broken. I just got one from PBR. Check the cam on the ball kicker. Mine was badly worn as well and PBR supplied that too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-buccaneer-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.