Big Hit U relay 2 (resized).jpg
Big Hit U relay (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Hit (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
BA0383BC-F913-48E6-B741-2C1BE57985B1 (resized).jpeg
Big Hit H relay (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I’m putting my 1977 Gottlieb big hit back together today, and when the game goes through start up, the score motor spins, the score wheels reset, and the score motor stops. But I only have play field lights for a moment. If I manually actuator the Tilt Hold relay the lights come on. But it does not look like that relay is pulled in on its own.

If I’m reading the schematic right, the only things in the Tilt Hold delay’s path are a normally closed switch on the T relay and then a make-brake switch on the AX relay. I have checked and adjusted both of those. Anything obvious I missing?

I should point out that the game is in “tilt“ and “game over“ in terms of what’s illuminated on the back glass, even though the tilt relay is not pulled in.

#2 3 years ago

Once the game has reset the H/Tilt Hold relay holds itself on through the T/Tilt relay switch and it's own lock in switch
Big Hit H relay (resized).jpgBig Hit H relay (resized).jpg

assuming that the R relay switch is working.

/Mark

#3 3 years ago

Figured it out — the anti-cheat switch in the head wasn’t clean and it caused the Hold relay to release and, thus, the tilt hold relay.

First problem solved.

#4 3 years ago

OK next question. When I first start up a game, whichever bases were illuminated from the previous game before power up, stay on. So those three interlock relays are not resetting. In reading the schematic, I am unable to tell what should cause those reset relays to activate - it’s a pretty complicated circuit. Not sure what the “Hit Unit” in that path is indicating for sure.

There is a motor 1Anormally open switch with a black-white wire in that path. Here’s a photo.

Thoughts?

BA0383BC-F913-48E6-B741-2C1BE57985B1 (resized).jpegBA0383BC-F913-48E6-B741-2C1BE57985B1 (resized).jpeg
#5 3 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Not sure what the “Hit Unit” in that path is indicating

It's probably the stepper by the chimes.

#6 3 years ago

Here’s a link to a video of the inconsistent resetting/clearing of the bases.

It seems to follow this pattern too, which is weird:

Reset,
doesn’t reset,
reset,
reset,
doesn’t reset,
doesn’t reset.

And then it repeats that entire cycle again.

Also, if the disc on the Hit Unit is misaligned (the shoes are touching the rivets, but maybe it's disoriented?), would that cause this to sporadically happen, given that the Hit Unit is in the rest path for the three relays we're talking about? Since that stepper doesn't ever reset, I'm not sure what a "Home" position would be, though.

#7 3 years ago

The Man on 1st (CX). Man on 2nd (DX) and Man on 3rd (EX) reset relay coils are reset by this circuit, which involve the Hit Unit wiper and a score motor switch.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8 3 years ago

To clarify, all three base relays either reset or don't reset as a group, right? You don't get some bases to reset and others not reset?

Assuming that's the case what your video tells me is that the resetting capability is dependent on which wipers on the Hit Unit wiper disc are being used at the moment. You might notice that the Hit Unit it does not reset. It always travels forward like a score reel or a 10-90 unit. So each time the bases reset they're using a different set of wipers on the wiper disk to wipe across the contacts. If you can identify the contacts that reset the bases (by their wire colors) then you can watch which groups of wipers work and which don't. It might be as simple as a broken wire or dirty wiper sleeve on the wiper disc. Keep in mind that it might be intermittent so one group of wipers might be reliable while another group is intermittent.

/Mark

#9 3 years ago

Thanks guys. Mark, occasionally 1 or 2 would reset but not the third.

However, I have adjusted that stepper unit some more (took it apart again, re-tightened the set screws in the camshaft, cleaned and lubed the rivets again (third time), and tightened down the rotator plate with the shoes. The game seems to be working 99% correctly now in terms of baseball logic / scoring (fingers crossed).

We can revisit this one if it starts to act up again.

OK next two issues:

The two bulbs that light the “special when lit“ inserts, are extremely bright and keep burning out now and then. I am wondering if this has something to do with the two resistors that are in that path. I have never worked with resistors before and know nothing about them.

Also, when I get a drop target bank down, even though the special will light, I cannot get the knocker to go off. The knocker does work, because I’ve heard it go off for the score thresholds.

Second issue: This just seemEd to start happening as the day went on and I was playing it more and more and trying to troubleshoot that special issue above. I can be playing a game – does not matter which ball is in play — and seemingly randomly the game will just lose power to the flippers. Playfield lights stay on, but after the ball drains I have no flipper power and the game does NOT go to game over, nor does it go to tilt. It still shows the ball I was playing on the backglass.

I THINK it’s going out after sending five pulses to the hit unit. It definitely happens more frequently when I hit a drop target. But not always. Other things can cause it. Sometimes I can hit the drop targets and they are fine. Instead, maybe going over a homerun roll over up at the top of the playfield will cause it, etc.

The CRAZYest thing that I’ve experienced with this issue is sometimes in the middle of playing a game it will reset the score reels during the middle of a ball. Sometimes the game goes to Tilt and ends. Sometimes it does what I’ve described above.

Thoughts?

#10 3 years ago

Are the bright bulbs 44s or 47s? The they're probably not interchangeable in that circuit since the voltage across the bulb will change with the resistance of the bulb you choose.
Big Hit (resized).jpgBig Hit (resized).jpg
The U relay switch in the red box would be unique to the knocker's Special circuit. Have you checked that?

When the game cuts power to the flippers and starts resetting score reels, has the AX relay tripped? It's used to do both.

Trivia question for other circuit geeks: what's the capacitor for (red ???)? I don't see it yet.

/Mark

#11 3 years ago

Hi Mark, I put new 47’s in those sockets. Should I put 44s in instead? Let me do some sleuthing and see if the x-ray they looks like it’s gaps normally. I’ll report back.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

what's the capacitor for (red ???)?

I'm no Electrical Engineer, but it must be to prevent arcing and protect the 6 unit disks between 8E and 11H on the schematic, by absorbing the back EMF when the Add Replay Unit solenoid is de-energized.

#13 3 years ago

Mark / Howard, I'm taking two steps forward and three back - still a student-driver here, haha.

Ok, let's just start where we are now:

1. Backbox lighting. Shows Game Over and Tilt. Score reels are at zero.
2. Start button does nothing (no motor, no playfield lights).
3. Manually actuating the AX Relay (which I've cleaned and gapped and am almost positive is moving/gapped correctly) does turn the score motor but nothing else happens.
4. My first thought is: Maybe the game is stuck in Tilt. The switch inside the door is mashed together as tight as can be and clean. Same with the ball-roll switch (on this game the schematic says it's a NC switch). Same with the switch on the bottom board. Same with the switch in the head. The one under the playfield is bent wide open. The tilt-bob, interestingly, has never worked -- not sure if that's related.

I was making progress, I thought, on the bigger issues and now I'm back further than I was.

Earlier I was adjusting the 2C Motor Switch that causes AX to reset (as I was trying to fix problems in earlier posts I was having trouble getting the AX to reset and the startup sequence indicated that switch as the most likely culprit.

Mark

#14 3 years ago

Start button does nothing

If the Replay Button doesn't activate the Start relay (S), Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

#15 3 years ago

Thanks Howard, my (very slow) brain finally landed on the start relay path about the same time you must’ve typed this.

I have been wasting time looking at the tilt, hold, and tilt-hold relay paths, but then realized that the start path has to be working for some of those to do their jobs. Looks like my anti-cheat switch and the door was the culprit. Damn those things – even when I clean and mash them shut they still give me problems.

OK please stay tuned. I’m going to try to get this game from 90% to 100%, and I’m sure I’m going to have one or two remaining questions. Thank you guys so very much.

#16 3 years ago

Duplicate to post below.

#17 3 years ago

Looks like the FS relay only triggers while the score reels are resetting. Do you see it moving during reset?

#18 3 years ago

So it looks like it moves whenever a run is scored. Maybe it’s triggered by the “runs“ score reels.

Basically here are the 4 remaining issues with the game as I see them, and I’m going to try to list all 4 because they may all be related:

1. MATCH LIGHTS -- Although the FS relay does move and change the match number sometimes, it doesn’t seem to do it as consistently as it should. (One question related to that mini stepper itself is how tight that spring should be. It seems very good and tight, yet the actuator plate seems like it’s having trouble “rebounding“ after being pulled in by the coil.)

2. MATCH KNOCKER -- The match works inconsistently. Every now and then I’ve gotten a match and I believe the knocker fires. But several other times when I’ve gotten the match, it does not knock.

3. SPECIAL LIGHTS -- The special lights do not light at all when I knock down the drop targets. Mark I checked the U Relay and it looks perfect. (Note that I was able to get these lights to turn on and alternate when I manually knocked down the drop targets and manually moved the FS relay plate up and down. Also remember, per a previous post, that these are the two bulbs that seem to be burning very brightly. I did swap them out again for 44 bulbs, but they do seem to be a little bit bright still. Not sure if that has anything to do with this whatsoever but wanted to point it out.)

4. SPECIAL SCORING / TARGET RESET -- Rolling over the target with the special lit does not make the knocker go off (even though the knocker works), nor does it reset the drop target banks.

I believe (fingers crossed) these are the only remaining issues with the game. I’ve played about 30 games on it this evening and all of the scoring and baseball functionality seem to work correctly.

Let me know which schematic paths would be helpful and I'll post them ASAP. Thanks team

#19 3 years ago

Yes, you're right, it gets a bunch of pulses during reset and then pulses for every 9 out of 10 runs (through the runout switch) during the game.

You can turn the match lights on during the game (with a jumper) to monitor what the FS relay is doing....

#20 3 years ago

The FS relay could explain all of these issues. Have you cleaned it or taken it apart? Have you checked all of its connections at the relay and at the jones plugs?

1. MATCH LIGHTS -- Although the FS relay does move and change the match number sometimes, it doesn’t seem to do it as consistently as it should.

The FS relay should behave the same as any other stepper. You should be able to push the armature all the way in, let it go and it should take one clean step to the next position every time. If it doesn't you have mechanical issues. There is a fair bit of drag created by the two wipers so having everything clean is important. I don't advise taking it apart unless you're in for a bigger project.

2. MATCH KNOCKER -- The match works inconsistently. Every now and then I’ve gotten a match and I believe the knocker fires. But several other times when I’ve gotten the match, it does not knock.

If your knocker doesn't fire on a match, you're probably not getting a credit either. One of the FS relay boards is a big part of that circuit. If you jumper from the white-slate wire on the FS relay to the yellow-green wire on the 10s score reel you should match every time. If the knocker and credit unit work in that case then the problem is either in the FS relay or the 10s score reel.

3. SPECIAL LIGHTS -- The special lights do not light at all when I knock down the drop targets. Mark I checked the U Relay and it looks perfect. (Note that I was able to get these lights to turn on and alternate when I manually knocked down the drop targets and manually moved the FS relay plate up and down.

I don't see how the U relay affects the Special lights. Do the lights work if you jumper around the Make/Break switch on the FS relay? It could be a problem with the switch or with the connections through the jones plug for the FS relay.

4. SPECIAL SCORING / TARGET RESET -- Rolling over the target with the special lit does not make the knocker go off (even though the knocker works), nor does it reset the drop target banks.

Sounds like your U/Special and Target Bank Reset relay isn't firing. It goes through the same FS relay Make/Break switch as the Special lights. Does it work if you remove the two Special lights? If not, the problem is likely in the FS relay switch.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The FS relay could explain all of these issues. Have you cleaned it or taken it apart? Have you checked all of its connections at the relay and at the jones plugs?

The FS relay should behave the same as any other stepper. You should be able to push the armature all the way in, let it go and it should take one clean step to the next position every time. If it doesn't you have mechanical issues. There is a fair bit of drag created by the two wipers so having everything clean is important. I don't advise taking it apart unless you're in for a bigger project.

If your knocker doesn't fire on a match, you're probably not getting a credit either. One of the FS relay boards is a big part of that circuit. If you jumper from the white-slate wire on the FS relay to the yellow-green wire on the 10s score reel you should match every time. If the knocker and credit unit work in that case then the problem is either in the FS relay or the 10s score reel.

I don't see how the U relay affects the Special lights. Do the lights work if you jumper around the Make/Break switch on the FS relay? It could be a problem with the switch or with the connections through the jones plug for the FS relay.

Sounds like your U/Special and Target Bank Reset relay isn't firing. It goes through the same FS relay Make/Break switch as the Special lights. Does it work if you remove the two Special lights? If not, the problem is likely in the FS relay switch.

Mark thank you very much. I'll try to track down each of these and report back. To answer your first question, I do always disassemble the FS Relay and clean it, polish the boards, apply a small amount of Super Lube, etc. The connections and Jones Plugs appear ok but will double check closely.

Will report back.

#22 3 years ago

Mark / Howard / DaMoib, I resolved items 1-3 above. The Match lights move consistently now after servicing the FS Relay for a third time, and the knocker and credit unit coil consistently fire now whenever I match. The Special Lights also work and seem to alternate pretty much correctly.

So #4 is the last remaining issue on the game. The U Relay does NOT pull in when I roll across the lit Special switch, so of course the target banks don't reset and I'm not getting the knock or credit. I would appreciate help diagnosing that circuit to identify the switches unique to that path. I know there's a second path to U for when the targets reset for a new ball that is working.

What's confusing to me is that if the Special Lights are getting power, that seems to me like the path to the U Relay is working all the way from the NC Switch at Motor 1C to the sequence completed switches on the target banks (including THROUGH the make-break on the FS relay), which would seem to indicate the culprits are BOTH (since neither side works) side-rollover switches (the last remaining switches in the path). That seems odd that both wouldn't work, especially since both appear to be clean and gapped well. But perhaps it's as simple as that?

Thoughts?

Mark

#24 3 years ago

if the Special Lights are getting power, that seems to me like the path to the U Relay is working all the way from the NC Switch at Motor 1C to the sequence completed switches on the target banks (including THROUGH the make-break on the FS relay)

Big Hit U relay (resized).jpgBig Hit U relay (resized).jpg
It seems less likely that both rollover switches don't work and more likely that there's a disconnect somewhere else in the circuit. Unplug your game and clip one end of your meter to the U relay coil solder lug with the maroon-green wire. Set the meter to the lowest resistance setting and start probing the circuit with the other probe in various places along the black/unproven portions. You should be able to measure an ohm or less of resistance at any point along that path back towards the 1C switch, possibly closing other switches if necessary. I suspect that the maroon-green wire isn't getting from the coil to the rollover switches. There might be a broken wire, a bad jones plug connection, cold solder joint, etc.

I know there's a second path to U for when the targets reset for a new ball that is working.

The 2nd path is into the big bank reset coils through a switch on the P relay. There's no other path into the U relay.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

[quoted image]
It seems less likely that both rollover switches don't work and more likely that there's a disconnect somewhere else in the circuit. Unplug your game and clip one end of your meter to the U relay coil solder lug with the maroon-green wire. Set the meter to the lowest resistance setting and start probing the circuit with the other probe in various places along the black/unproven portions. You should be able to measure an ohm or less of resistance at any point along that path back towards the 1C switch, possibly closing other switches if necessary. I suspect that the maroon-green wire isn't getting from the coil to the rollover switches. There might be a broken wire, a bad jones plug connection, cold solder joint, etc.

The 2nd path is into the big bank reset coils through a switch on the P relay. There's no other path into the U relay.

Thanks Mark. I may have to find some help locally for this last part. Using a meter is still baffling to me (not so much the concept, but the actual setting and use of the device) since I've never used one prior to trying to in this hobby. I might be able to figure it out with jumpers if you can give me some pretty specific ways to check it that way (?).

Update: if I jumper from the maroon green wire at motor position 1C all the way to the maroon green wire on the U relay, and power the game up, the target bank reset coils fire repeatedly. I’m not sure if that helps us any or not, because I guess it could be going through the “other“ path to U.

Second Update: from what I can tell, I can jumper every point along that circuit and the knocker does go off in awards a credit at every point. So I’m guessing, per your instruction above, you are correct: it’s not any of the switches in the path, there must instead be something wrong with one of the wires itself? I don’t know if there’s anything else I can check with the jumpers. Would love some very very very specific instructions on what to do with the meter I guess.

Third update: Just trying to provide any clues I can here: it appears that when I do the jumpering, with one end clipped to the maroon-green wire on the U relay, when I touch the circuit at any other point, it causes the bank to reset and the knocker to go off and award a credit as described above. However, the one place this doesn’t happen is if I touch the maroon-green wire on the rollover switch itself. The other two wires on the rollover switch cause the “fire immediately” behavior. But the maroon-green one does not until I roll over that switch, with it clipper there, then the circuit works correctly. So the jumper in that case would be functioning exactly like the wire in the game should be. In other words, I could leave the jumper clipped there in the game would function correctly. So that tells me, I think, that the failure is in the maroon-green wire somewhere between the U relay and the rollover switches themselves.

#26 3 years ago

Big Hit U relay 2 (resized).jpgBig Hit U relay 2 (resized).jpg
If you clip one end of a jumper to the U relay coil solder lug with the maroon-green wire (left arrow) and the other end to the solder lug on one of the switches with the maroon-green wire (right arrows) does the switch you jumped to start working (firing the U relay)? That might prove that the maroon-green wire doesn't connect the two.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

[quoted image]
If you clip one end of a jumper to the U relay coil solder lug with the maroon-green wire (left arrow) and the other end to the solder lug on one of the switches with the maroon-green wire (right arrows) does the switch you jumped to start working (firing the U relay)? That might prove that the maroon-green wire doesn't connect the two.

Yes, that’s what I think I’m describing in update number three above. That makes the switch start working correctly. It doesn’t fire it immediately, but when I roll over the switch then it works correctly.

#28 3 years ago

Holy crap, I found it! I started trying to find the maroon-green wire throughout the game, and I stumbled across this.

This is in the main harness going from one of the big Jones plugs in the bottom that connects up to the playfield.

It’s the maroon-green wire, broken. That has to be it. I will solder that back together and wrap it and should be on my way. I’ll report back.

8C271AEB-B2E1-4D0E-90B1-881FE10BEB26 (resized).jpeg8C271AEB-B2E1-4D0E-90B1-881FE10BEB26 (resized).jpeg

#29 3 years ago

Works!

Thanks, Gents! I think the game is now finished. I’ll let you know if I come across anything else but I believe that was the last issue.

Thank you again so much — time and time again this forum has come through for me in restoring nearly 3 dozen games now!

Mark

#30 3 years ago

Did you ever figure out the why the special lights are too bright/burning out? I also have this problem. I put in LEDs and they don't burn out but I would like to correct the problem. IIRC, they had like 20+volts at the sockets.
Good thread, thanks!

#31 3 years ago

No, they are still burning to brightly.

Also, I have now had a NEW issue pop up, and of course it’s in a complicated circuit: sometimes randomly while I’m playing the game, the bell coil will stay energized and will not turn off even after the ball drains.

If I power the game off and turn it back on, then it resets.

So essentially the K (runs) relay suddenly decides it wants to stay energized. Any thoughts or ideas?

#32 3 years ago

the K (runs) relay suddenly decides it wants to stay energized

Check these 5 circuits

#33 3 years ago

Thanks Howard I will. I will likely have follow-up questions. One thing to note, if I manually actuator the K relay, it causes it (the relay and thus the bell coil) to stick on as well. And I can get it to stop by manually moving the “ones runs“ reel one digit.

Also, if I manually depress any of the relays (double, triple, homerun, etc.) that results in a run scoring, it locks in the bell coil.

#34 3 years ago

if I manually actuator the K relay, it causes it (the relay and thus the bell coil) to stick on as well.

Then what do the Add One Runs unit and its end-of-stroke switch do when this happens?

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Then what do the Add One Runs unit and its end-of-stroke switch do when this happens?

I will check and report back tomorrow Howard. Also, conceptually, I understand how to use jumpers to check when a circuit is not working, to identify which switch is not “making”. In this case, we’ve got something that’s firing that we don’t want to. So how would I use jumper wires (or something else) to check those circuits, when I don’t want to jump over open switches? I’m still learning so this is an important concept for me to get. I’m hoping the answer isn’t a multi-meter because I’m a lost cause with those so far.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from BethlehemBill:

Did you ever figure out the why the special lights are too bright/burning out? I also have this problem. I put in LEDs and they don't burn out but I would like to correct the problem. IIRC, they had like 20+volts at the sockets.
Good thread, thanks!

Measure the AC voltage across the bulb when it is active - one meter lead on each side of the bulb, if it is not around 6 volts then check out the resistor.

With the power off, un-solder one end of the resistor (to isolate it from the rest of the circuit) and then measure its resistance.

Those sand resistors are supposed to drop the voltage *across* the bulb to about 6 volts. The resistance of an incandescing (hot) 44 bulb is about 25 ohms and the resistors are supposed to be 75 ohms, so the bulb should have one quarter of the 25 volts across it. The resistor should have 19 (ish) volts *across* it when operating in-circuit with a hot 44.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Howard, when I manually actuate the K relay, the Add One Runs unit (score reel) tries to advance one but the plunger doesn't make a full stroke, and as a result, the EOS switch never opens.

If I block the EOS switch contacts and then manually actuate the K relay, it advances one digit normally and K does not lock in (normal operation).

So guessing the issue is just that the EOS switch isn't opening most of the time? I can adjust that longer blade to ensure it opens with each pulse. Let me know your thoughts.

Mark

#38 3 years ago

Does the Add One Runs unit solenoid make its full stroke if you run a jumper from the 25v fuse and tap its other end on the solenoid power terminal?

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Does the Add One Runs unit solenoid make its full stroke if you run a jumper from the 25v fuse and tap its other end on the solenoid power terminal?

Yes, it does.

Also, one thing to add to my message above: if I completely block the end of stroke switch, the bell seems to fire and release correctly. But only adjusting the blade on the end of stroke switch (And not blocking it), to ensure that it opens fully, still results in the bell sticking on. To me that sounds like there’s power going through that closed end of stroke switch (and also the K relay switch (?) when there shouldn’t be.

#41 3 years ago

when I manually actuate the K relay, the Add One Runs unit (score reel) tries to advance one but the plunger doesn't make a full stroke,

Quoted from HowardR:

Check this activating switch on the K relay.

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

#42 3 years ago

Edit: You May have found it Howard! Stand by...

#43 3 years ago

That fixed it Howard. Was just a switch in K that needed a good filing.

Thank you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Covington, LA
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-big-hit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.