You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

big brave add player unit (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_9586 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi guys, I'm helping a friend clean up a Big Brave he bought, and the other day in the middle of a game he said the score motor started spinning.

I can get it to reset if I manually actuate the bar on the big reset bank, but am wondering where I should begin diagnosis to get it fixed.

If I check all of the switches on the row shown below next to the score motor, am I correct that is HAS to be one of those switches? Any suggestions where to begin?

Thanks!

IMG_9586 (resized).jpgIMG_9586 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

If I check all of the switches on the row shown below next to the score motor, am I correct that is HAS to be one of those switches? Any suggestions where to begin?

By checking all of those switches? JK!! Is there anything else going on, like scores getting rung up? Seems like a sticky RO or other sw. would be the main things that would cause that during a game. It could also be that one of those sw. leading into the score motor is gapped a bit too tight and touching.

#3 3 years ago

I can get it to reset if I manually actuate the bar on the big reset bank, but am wondering where I should begin diagnosis to get it fixed.

Does it happen again after you do this?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Does it happen again after you do this?

So here's the behavior:

IF the drop target bank is not reset the score motor begins spinning on POWER UP and never stops. Resetting the reset bank manually doesn't help.

IF the target bank is reset on power up, the motor starts spinning when I press start and never stops. If I move the reset arm on the reset bank, then it will stop spinning.

The score reels seem to reset ok.

Incidentally, and I posted about this elsewhere in case this is part of the issue, before this motor spinning issue started, the game would not advance to Player Two and also never goes to Game Over. It just plays and endless Player One game.

These are likely unrelated, but I share that here for the board in case related.

Regardless --> am I correct in that one of those N.O. switches on that line of the schematic must be stuck closed causing the spinning issue?

#5 3 years ago

am I correct in that one of those N.O. switches on that line of the schematic must be stuck closed causing the spinning issue?

Yes

#6 3 years ago

Thanks for confirming Howard. Will report back tonight.

#7 3 years ago

IF the target bank is reset on power up, the motor starts spinning when I press start and never stops. If I move the reset arm on the reset bank, then it will stop spinning.

I would check U and SB1 switches. And is that slo-blo fuse for the bank good?

#8 3 years ago

I'll check that too. Thought I'd go over there tonight, but he had a conflict so will try again tomorrow.

#9 3 years ago

Ok the issue above is solved (P5A (maybe)? can't recall which one without looking again at schematic) was gapped too wide, preventing U from firing and thus the reset bank.

Now on to the next issue. Please see video below. I appreciate your collective help:

#10 3 years ago

I wonder if you have something stuck which contributes to your bonus (drop target etc)? If this was the case I'd expect your score COULD increase while this happens....

#11 3 years ago

Does it do this whenever the motor runs, or only when the ball drains?

#12 3 years ago

Do you have the motor switch card from the cabinet? If so, check it to see which switch(es) control add bonus and see if they're gapped correctly.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Does it do this whenever the motor runs, or only when the ball drains?

Howard I believe it’s only when the ball drains. I’ll move the motor today CC is another switch to be sure but I’m pretty sure it’s only when it drains.

#14 3 years ago

On a maximum vari-target hit a relay pulls in. I’ll call it the 5000 points & 5 bonus advances relay. It’s on this relay a normally open switch, that when closed in conjunction with a switch on the A cam will pulse the bonus advance 5 times. Regap switch

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

On a maximum vari-target hit a relay pulls in. I’ll call it the 5000 points & 5 bonus advances relay. It’s on this relay a normally open switch, that when closed in conjunction with a switch on the A cam will pulse the bonus advance 5 times. Regap switch

Thanks pinballdaveh, that seems to have solved that last problem.

Ok now on to the next problem which is one I posted about in another post (trying to merge those together here):

I posted:

The game starts and ejects ball 1, but never advances to balls 2-5, and if a two-player game is selected, even though it lights up for 2-players, it never advances to player 2 either.

It's just an endless game on Ball 1, Player 1. I am awaiting a schematic and wondering where to begin to get the player-unit to work properly.

Mark G then posted:

Assuming your P/Add Player Unit relay is firing when the ball drains, check the first four switches (XB, ZB, Motor 2C, P) in the red path to the Add Player Unit solenoid in the upper right corner.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I am going to try to diagnose this circuit next. Am I correct in that the wire color for the four switches recommended to me is Yellow and Black all the way through? Or is there another color for the ZB? (SORRY NOT SURE WHY THE PHOTO IS HERE TWICE)

big brave add player unit (resized).jpgbig brave add player unit (resized).jpg

#16 3 years ago

Am I correct in that the wire color for the four switches recommended to me is Yellow and Black all the way through? Or is there another color for the ZB?

YEL+BL is a wire with roughly equal parts of yellow and blue and is only used to connect the Motor 2C switch to the switch on the P relay in the schematic above. Each time you pass through a switch or coil or other device the wire color will usually change. All of the colors you need are shown on the schematic above except for the wire running vertically along the right side which is probably red and white.

/Mark

#17 3 years ago

The problem might be that the 1st ball latch in relay is not tripping when points are scored during 1st ball play. This will allow endless 1st ball play. Check circuit of 1st ball relay and repair.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-big-brave-score-motor-spinning?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.