Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by jonnyo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I've got a Twilight Zone. Everyone says it's really easy to do bangbacks on TZ. I've got to be doing something wrong though - How do you get the ball to jump that high? I can get the ball to move maybe 1/4th of an inch up from what it's rolling against - at best! It would seem that in order to apply enough force to make it jump back above the flippers, I'd be in the hospital with broken bones in my wrist. So, there must be something i'm doing wrong.

What's the trick? I've seen a few videos, but it seems that they're all able to make the ball move much further with much less force than I can.

Also, I understand the concept of a death save, but I'm not really sure how you implement it. Which direction do you want to apply the force in, as the ball hits the left side of the guide that directs the ball to the trough? Is that all there is to the technique? I hear people talking about kicking the right leg to add more force, but that sounds like it would push the game in the wrong direction, so it bounced less when it hit, instead of more.

Thanks

#2 12 years ago

I don't think you're doing anything wrong other than not hitting the machine hard enough, and by hard enough, I mean as if you hated it. I just don't see any other way to transfer that much force thru the front of the machine to the apron, and then the ball.

Bangbacks and death saves are violent, which is why pretty much everyone forbids you to try it on their home machines.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who had success with this manuever that didn't require them to go seriously Bruce Lee on the machine in question.

#3 12 years ago

You're probably just too nervous to shove the machine hard enough to be necessary to accomplish a bangback. Especially because its yours. My advice, just don't do it. Its a bad habit to have and will lead to many disapproving stares from people seeing you attempt it.

#4 12 years ago

Pinball 101 stated that the position of the apron will affect the amount of force transfer. I think it was the gap between the apron and the metal clamps which hold up the front of the playfield. The tighter the gap the more transfer. Newton effect.

#5 12 years ago

Hmm. I've seen videos of bangbacks that looked... nowhere near as violent as would seem to be required...

#6 12 years ago

Maybe someone had all the apron gaps dialed out like Sealclubber noted. That would transfer the force more effectively.

#7 12 years ago

On my TZ, you can bangback on the right easily, but on on the left. I put a small piece of wood between the gap in the clip and the wood, and its easy to do on both sides now. Don't have to hit it that hard at all, just has to be in the right spot at the right time. Timing is everything on bangbacks.

#8 12 years ago

Could someone describe what gap we're referring to? I'm not grasping which gap this is...

Also, when exactly do you want to apply the force, to get the bangback to be successful?

#9 12 years ago

Hmmm....DrAzzy you are practicing these moves on your own machine right?

#10 12 years ago

Yes, of course.
I havn't really pushed it with the amount of force involved anyway - it's clear that what i'm doing now, if I simply scaled up the amount of force I used, i'd damage myself and the machine before getting the ball above the flippers. So I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, instead of just using ever greater amounts of force until i break my wrist or break off the lock bar...

Lockbar has apparently been repaired btw, too, probably from a past owner taking the "ever greater amount of force" tack - It's got 6 screws going through it - and I was thinking "no biggie, just get a new one" when i bought it..... Yeah... widebody machine, lockbars are 3x the price of narrowbody ones, but it doesn't matter, because they're out of stock everywhere anyway.

#11 12 years ago

Death saves are one thing but bang backs on your own machine is crazy. Plus they can really do some damage to your wrist. Not worth in IMO.

#12 12 years ago

I never try them, especially on freeplay. maybe some day....

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

Hmm. I've seen videos of bangbacks that looked... nowhere near as violent as would seem to be required...

I don't know, if you watch Bowen do it on his TZ tutorial it looks pretty rough and he even warns against practicing them because it "really hurts your wrist, don't do it kids". Sometimes in league play out in the wild I see some players performing bangbacks and it has never looked anything but fast and violent.

#14 12 years ago

Huh. So are deathsaves less violent? I was always under the impression that deathsaves were easier and less violent than bangbacks.

I've never actually seen either in person, because nobody I know knows how to do them. I'd like to at least come close enough that I feel like i understand the technique (and maybe even demonstrate it to others)

2 months later
#15 12 years ago

Hmmm am I wrong or should death saves only be done by pushing the right leg with your foot??? I have never done a death save using just my wrists, which is the sole reason why I have never been able to death save from the left outlane.. Saw Bowen Kerins do this but hell you must have to hit the machine hard...

#16 12 years ago

Is a bang back when a players smacks the flipper button quickly and with much more force than a button tap?? I have seen some guys do this in my league games just before the ball is going to drain down the middle....it works sometimes but I don't understand the concept?? It's like by doing this they think the flipper is going to stretch that extra quarter inch to perform a save?!

#17 12 years ago

Such abuse. I don't even let people nudge my machines. I realise this means I can never own a Wheel Of Fortune.

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Is a bang back when a players smacks the flipper button quickly and with much more force than a button tap??

No. That is refered to as slap save or double slap save.

Quoted from system11:

Such abuse. I don't even let people nudge my machines. I realise this means I can never own a Wheel of Fortune.

Change policy. Hard machines, where you must master extended means of ball control to save your ass, is the thrill.

#19 12 years ago

Just take the tilt out and lift the game until the ball rolls up into the PF ! Bang backs Psst..

Jim

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from system11:

I don't even let people nudge my machines.

Haha that's ridiculous, that's one of the main ways to play pinball.

#21 12 years ago

When you do a slap save you also usually nudge the machine a bit sideways, it then catches the very tip of one flipper, then the other flipper...thus saving it...works VERY well...

I don't ever do bangbacks or death saves so I can't help you there...

#22 12 years ago

Death saves are only possible when the ball has rolled down the right outlane. As it drops of the right slope it should hit the left slope. At that exact moment it hits the left slope you would quickly push the machine up and to the right (whilst holding the left flipper up). The momentum should cause enough of a bounce to throw the ball back onto the right flipper. Some machines are easier than others. On my Batman Forever (and when the ball is moving with enough pace) death saves are actually quite easy.

I would say a Bangback is essentially the same, though done by banging the machine (as opposed to pushing). With enough force a bangback could save a drain down the left outlane. I have heard (but thankfully never seen or tried) kicking the left leg sharply is one way of banging the machine.

Slap saves work by pushing the machine in the same direction as the flipper you're hitting. So if you think the ball will miss your left flipper by a tiny amount, hit the left flipper hard enough to also jolt the machine slightly, and you might just reach that ball. Like Tom says, can be very effective when done with judicious timing.

Bangbacks/deathsaves are banned from tournament play, and I would absolutely never try either on someone elses home machine.

#23 12 years ago

Just hump the machine like in the backglass image from Silverball Mania

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Just take the tilt out and lift the game until the ball rolls up into the PF ! Bang backs Psst..

+1

...or go ahead and take the glass off, and just grab any ball that drains.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

honda350r said:

+1

...or go ahead and take the glass off, and just grab any ball that drains.

Hahaa you guys are cracking me up!!!!

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Change policy. Hard machines, where you must master extended means of ball control to save your ass, is the thrill.

Nah, can't do it. Mostly my machines get the full treatment stripdown, clean and repair before I even play them. Then once they're all shiny and as perfect as they can be made, I worry about even playing them let alone abusing them.

Here are the last three I restored (Breakshot, was a total mess), and shopped (BoP - HUO but never properly cleaned), Scared Stiff (playfield repair & shopped):
http://www.system11.org/temp/Pinball/Breakshot/breakshot_pf_full.jpg
http://www.system11.org/temp/Pinball/BOP/bop_pf_full.jpg
http://www.system11.org/temp/Pinball/Scared%20Stiff/ss5.jpg

Then what tends to happen is I can't bear to play them and start to undo all that work even in any tiny way, and they end up being sold. I guess that's good for other people at least.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Then once they're all shiny and as perfect as they can be made, I worry about even playing them let alone abusing them.

I used to feel this way too - but have since mellowed enough to enjoy playing, and even nudging my machines. I did buy 'em to play 'em afterall - and I don't really think the occasional nudge qualifies as 'abuse'. ...though I do still cringe sometimes hearing my pristine Paragon backglass rattle around.

#28 12 years ago

I love a pretty game as much as the next guy, but they are meant to be played. It's like having some fancy restored car and letting it sit in your garage collecting dust. What's the point? Go drive the damn thing

I know the feeling putting so much work into a pin that you don't even want to play it though...I do get where your coming from...

#29 12 years ago

Yea, I love my machine to be in impeccable shape but I do not hesitate to play it and that will include some nudging. Not out of hand nudging by any means but to me a little is just a part of playing pinball.

#30 12 years ago

If you came over and played my pins and you did not nudge and bump my machines around , I would kick you out for not playing pinball correctly

Jim

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

If you came over and played my pins and you did not nudge and bump my machines around , I would kick you out for not playing pinball correctly

Exactly, even my old boot mother in law nudges my machines, she might even smack it when she loses a ball haha....

#32 12 years ago

I'm too cheap to buy a really pristine machine, and not talented or patient enough to restore one. Therefore all of my machines are players' pins and subject to some nudging now and then. The amount of nudging is proportional to how good of a game I'm having. If I'm closing in on a GC score you better believe I'll do anything within my power to keep the ball in play!

Plus now I gotta learn how to do death saves because I hear TFTC actually rewards you for doing this.

#33 12 years ago

For death saves, they're much easier to do on newer Sterns. They don't require much force at all. Certainly not enough to damage the machine. If done correctly you can do them with only a single tilt warning.

The way I do them is when the ball just starts going down the outlane, I quickly shift to the left side of the machine for max leverage. I then pull the machine to the left (imagine flexing the legs toward you and to the left), when the ball hits the left wall I "pop" it to the right and upward.

The key to death saves is you're not "pushing" the machine. You really have to apply a quick, sharp force at the right moment. If you have to slide the machine more than an inch to do it, your timing is a bit off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-bangbacksdeath-saves and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.