• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7014_(resized).JPG
IMG_7015_(resized).JPG

#1 7 years ago

Can anyone suggest how to attach the light dome and the sign to my new plastics in the same way as originally done?
The photos are of the originals.

I thought bifurucated rivets might work, but they are not as neat as the originals.

IMG_7014_(resized).JPGIMG_7014_(resized).JPG IMG_7015_(resized).JPGIMG_7015_(resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

get regular rivets, vid tells how to do it in I think the Playfield thread, or search rivets.

#3 7 years ago

both pics looks like standard nickel rivets were used (smooth side to the front and bottom of the plastic based on the 2nd image. given the shape of the 2 pieces, I would rivet the brackets on the clear standing piece first. but again, a photo of bottom sides would be helpful

when riveting the stand-up clear sign piece on the blue screened plastic, you'll probably have to reverse the dies in your press first

#4 7 years ago

Those are called semi-tubular rivets

#5 7 years ago

Pinbits sells a rivit kit that works perfectly for this application !

#6 7 years ago

The same rivets have been used, yes they have rivetted them the other way for the stand-up sign. The smooth face of the rivet is underneath.

Thanks all - pinbits are out of stock! Bah!!!

#7 7 years ago

Search online for hand riveter. I am sure other retailers sell the same tool. I cannot speak for how well they work as I have a rivet press. Search here on pinside for rivet tool and you should find some helpful info.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from galaga50:

Thanks all - pinbits are out of stock! Bah!!!

no, they're not

#9 7 years ago

Look on eBay for a manual (hand) "rivet squeezer"; used ones run about $90 (USD); not sure how many might show up local to Oz. The decent ones weigh a fair bit which would make shipping from the US expensive.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from sixpakmopar:

Search online for hand riveter. I am sure other retailers sell the same tool. I cannot speak for how well they work as I have a rivet press. Search here on pinside for rivet tool and you should find some helpful info.

those "hand riveters" work ok for the tin rivets (which are really soft) for things like toys, but not for the nickel/brass rivets used on pinball machines. I purchased one before taking the plunge and building a nice press (using the kit from scot bogart's site, pinrestore.com) and broke it trying to use it with a nickel rivet. if you have access to a drill press, building one from the kit and a HF arbor press is pretty easy

1/2 ton arbor press
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-arbor-press-3551.html

1 ton arbor press
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html

I'm sure that there is some local hardware site "down under" that sells something similar that can work with scot's kit, but I would email him to be sure

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

those "hand riveters" work ok for the tin rivets (which are really soft) for things like toys, but not for the nickel/brass rivets used on pinball machines.

Not in my experience - I use the hand riveters in many cases where a press won't reach. Are you talking about the "Hurky" c-clamp tool? I'm referring to the aircraft style tools (not the pneumatic ones).

#12 7 years ago

ah. I was referring to the c-clamp tool

#13 7 years ago

Here is something that may work for people. Search online for "Indestro rivet 824"

#14 7 years ago

Pinrestore.com!

#15 7 years ago

Vid says you can use a transfer punch set to attach the rivets if you don't have a press.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J
Other
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-attaching-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.