2D755FED-4A61-423F-A1C4-BA3D4D4246EC (resized).jpeg
Lamp Socket (resized).JPG
Transistor (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
20180222_203549 (resized).jpg
20170630_215043 (resized).jpg
IMG_8051 (resized).JPG
IMG_8050 (resized).JPG
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

+1 for the links Rondogg provided.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I reseated the cables on the lamp driver board and now some that didn’t work before are working and some that worked before aren’t working. Hummmm.
Connectors or solder joints on the header pins would be the next place to go I guess?

Yep, start by reflowing the solder joints. Connectors go bad much less frequently than the solder. usually there's at least 5-10 bad joints on any lamp board

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

PM if you want local help.

A big shout out to Dave for inviting me into his family's home and working on my boards for me. He replaced all the header pins on the lamp driver board and taught me how to do it so I can handle things like this in the future.

I just wanted to give him a big public Thank You for taking the time to help a stranger. All my lamps work correctly now.

On to the next problem. Does anyone know anything about these cables? There seems to be two extra pins that don't fit in the cables, so I'm thinking the cables might be the wrong ones? If I touch the cable on the right (not the connectors), I can get the game to make sounds.

I also noticed that when I first put them back on, the center display (credits / match), was blank and not working. Messing around with the cables brought the display back.

Since I bought the game there has been a very unusual noise following some of the sounds. A sound that doesn't seem like it should be there. I tried watching some YouTube videos to compare sounds, and couldn't hear it in the videos. I'm thinking there might be an issue with the cables or something on the sound board.

IMG_8189 (resized).JPGIMG_8189 (resized).JPG

#54 4 years ago

Just a follow-up. I'm thinking this might be the best bet? Perhaps just purchase a replacement board and correct cable? It looks like mine has the wrong cables. I'm counting 32 pins in the picture and it looks like it's supposed to have 34 pins.

It looks like barakandl sells the board and cable for $127. I could grab NVRAM for it while I'm at it I suppose.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-stern-sb-300-sound-boards-and-mpu-to-sb300-wiring-harness

#55 4 years ago

You just need the new cable from Andrew. Don't buy a sound board until you know it's bad, but even then, new capacitors can fix alot of sound board issues. The original ribbon cables get brittle and stop functioning properly, so start with the new sound cable. The 2 extra pins that don't fit into the cable is normal.

#56 4 years ago

I'll get one ordered. As for NVRAM, do I need the one labeled "1pc 5101 DUAL CE"

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1055-nvramweeblycom/00584-nvram-5101-6116-amp-6264

#57 4 years ago

NVRam for the mpu200 board in your machine is specifically the one at https://nvram.weebly.com/ that says "mpu200 nvram" - the other 5101 nvram will work, but you'd need 2 since there are 2 5101 chips on your board.

Also, the switch you posted several posts ago looks compromised in the plating, you should replace it it won't be reliable once the plating is gone.

The 2 pins on the sound board aren't used, it only needs the first 32. The cable that Andrew sells I believe only has 32 positions in it as well.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

NVRam for the mpu200 board in your machine is specifically the one at https://nvram.weebly.com/ that says "mpu200 nvram" - the other 5101 nvram will work, but you'd need 2 since there are 2 5101 chips on your board.
Also, the switch you posted several posts ago looks compromised in the plating, you should replace it it won't be reliable once the plating is gone.
The 2 pins on the sound board aren't used, it only needs the first 32. The cable that Andrew sells I believe only has 32 positions in it as well.

Thanks. I was confused because the one at the top says "Stern M200"

I'll order the one towards the bottom of the page.

#59 4 years ago

A big shout out to Dave for inviting me into his family's home and working on my boards for me. He replaced all the header pins on the lamp driver board and taught me how to do it so I can handle things like this in the future.
I just wanted to give him a big public Thank You for taking the time to help a stranger.

Yes, I have a new friend Happy to help.

I took a look at the sound card schematic just now; needed a brain break from work. Order the cable and we should order caps. Then we can troubleshoot more if needed.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Yes, I have a new friend Happy to help.
I took a look at the sound card schematic just now; needed a brain break from work. Order the cable and we should order caps. Then we can troubleshoot more if needed.

Next time we are going to play some pinball though!! I ordered the cables and the NVRAM about an hour ago.

Looks like I can just get this and it has everything I need?

https://ksarcade.net/stn-sb300-capkit.html

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Original metal was brushed stainless. Could have just been repainted. I don't think any other manufacturers (including modern stern) are compatible.

Data East standard body lockdown bars are black and will fit any standard body Stern from Ali to Dragonfist. I own both brands; This is not idle talk.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Data East standard body lockdown bars are black and will fit any standard body Stern from Ali to Dragonfist. I own both brands; This is not idle talk.

Are DE style compatible with modern stern? or did they switch at some point?

#63 4 years ago

Next time we are going to play some pinball though!!
Looks like I can just get this and it has everything I need?
https://ksarcade.net/stn-sb300-capkit.html

Yes and Yes

#64 4 years ago

Holy crap. $9.03 to ship a few caps? I might have to see if I can order these somewhere else. That's a little excessive if you ask me.

Anyone know of a big old box of caps I can buy from Amazon that would have everything I need? No sense spending $20 for a few caps if I can get a big ass box of them for the same price.

#65 4 years ago

You might have a tough time due to all the values and voltages possible.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Are DE style compatible with modern stern? or did they switch at some point?

The modern Sterns I know of all have the double latch release mechanics. I doubt DE would fit.

#67 4 years ago

You could order all the caps individually from Great Plains Electronics. They used to make kits, but they don't anymore. Ed still has the list up here for convenience: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=STERN-S3E-KIT

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

You could order all the caps individually from Great Plains Electronics. They used to make kits, but they don't anymore. Ed still has the list up here for convenience: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=STERN-S3E-KIT

This is correct. He doesn't offer the kits but you can just buy the caps individually from his site. I just did this for cap kits for my system 11 games.

#69 4 years ago

Holy crap. $9.03 to ship a few caps? I might have to see if I can order these somewhere else. That's a little excessive if you ask me.
Anyone know of a big old box of caps I can buy from Amazon that would have everything I need? No sense spending $20 for a few caps if I can get a big ass box of them for the same price.

Not a thing unless you like counterfeit caps from China.

ONLY buy caps from reputable, US sources (typically with expensive shipping).

Turns out that pinball -REPAIR- can be an expensive and tedious hobby too!

#70 4 years ago

You are also paying for the convenience of a kit with instructions or a cap location map, etc. Someone has to pull the stock and put the kit together. You can certainly save money buying in bulk online.

#71 4 years ago

I put my NVRAM in and now it’s acting a little weird. The game seems to play just fine but the displays are showing unusual numbers in attract mode.

When it isn’t showing the previous score to date, I get this on all 4 of the score displays when it switches to “High score to date”.

586 7

Anyone know what that might be? It also shows that I have 81 credits for some reason but won’t let me add any more. The coin slot switch is completely unresponsive.

#72 4 years ago

You need to go into the audits and reset all of them to 0. Nvram had bad data

#73 4 years ago

Thanks. I’ll look around for how to reset them. I’m thinking Marco has the flipper bushing parts wrong. I bought new bushings, but they aren’t the same size. I’m pretty sure they are supposed to reach through the playfield slightly. The ones I got don’t buy are listed as compatible with Ali.

I bought these:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4A-111-W-1

Old on the left, new on the right.

282394F0-22FB-4565-9A6D-27AC9F416F16 (resized).jpeg282394F0-22FB-4565-9A6D-27AC9F416F16 (resized).jpeg
#74 4 years ago

Those are type 1 Stern bushings, used up until meteor/big game, I think?

Type 2 is taller, they must have miscategorized

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You need to go into the audits and reset all of them to 0. Nvram had bad data

Agreed. Residue data from testing. I would do a factory reset and then check to make sure all audits are back to 0.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Agreed. Residue data from testing. I would do a factory reset and then check to make sure all audits are back to 0.

How do I reset it? I don’t see anything in the manual.

Any way I got bad NVRAM? I was cleaning the game in attract mode when all of a sudden one of the pop bumpers fired and the game rebooted.

It’s never done anything like that before.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Those are type 1 Stern bushings, used up until meteor/big game, I think?
Type 2 is taller, they must have miscategorized

Someone probably upgraded your Ali flippers to the offset plate type. From previous research the flipper swap from the flat type 1 to the offset type 2 occurred sometime during Big Game. Unless they are factory - if you pull the plates off you should see previous mounting holes for the type 1. If you don't that means that some Ali's have the offset flippers as well.

The way to clear audits is to go into audit mode and press the clear button in the coin door. It's sort of covered in the manual it says to press S33 to quickly clear an audit to 00.

You won't know until you clear the ram if the spurious reboot was caused by something else. I doubt that the ram is bad, but anything is possible I suppose. MPU200 games make EXTENSIVE use of the ram, so there would be other manifestations if so.

#78 4 years ago

How do I reset it? I don’t see anything in the manual.
Any way I got bad NVRAM? I was cleaning the game in attract mode when all of a sudden one of the pop bumpers fired and the game rebooted.
It’s never done anything like that before.

Been a while so might be wrong about this. I believe it's switch 33 on MPU board. Go to audits and press switch 33. Or is it you have to start audits and on each one press switch 33. I know switch 33 clears it. If you have residue data left in the Nvram it can cause game to act weird. Also post a picture of your underside of the playfield showing your flipper mechs.

#79 4 years ago

Switch 33 is memory clear.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#80 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Switch 33 is memory clear.[quoted image]

It's also duplicated right on the coin door that's what the 2nd switch there is for. Very convenient (if it's working!)

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

It's also duplicated right on the coin door that's what the 2nd switch there is for. Very convenient (if it's working!)

That's correct. But half the time the one on the coin door doesn't work.

#82 4 years ago

I’m missing this “go to audits and then press switch 33”. How do I get into the audits? I can get into lamp test and all that stuff but I don’t know where the audits are?

I have two buttons inside the coin door. One goes to coil test, then lamp test, etc. the other just makes everything go blank and do nothing.

I have to reboot the game to get it to come out again and it still shows 86 credits and 586 7 on the display.

#83 4 years ago

After the tests if you keep pressing the button you'll get the audits. The numbers should all be listed in the manual

#84 4 years ago

Got it. Thanks. I had to go past the display / solenoid tests to get there. I wasn’t going far enough before hitting the reset button.

Put the new leg brackets and legs on last night. Half of the cabinet brackets were stripped or cross threaded.

Last issue to tackle is the sound board and I’ll be all set. I’m loving the game though. It’s absolutely brutal.

1 month later
#85 4 years ago

I'm back.

I'm having two issues that I'm hoping I can get help with resolving.

1. Despite replacing all the caps on the sound board, I'm still getting a weird noise following one of the sounds. Can someone with an Ali listen to this and tell me if it's normal? It's the very last noise that follows each sound. I can't put into words what it sounds like.

https://sharesync.serverdata.net/us3/s/ul99YEI8DF84JAOQwBWefG003d191d

2. My small displays are out again. At first it was the top line that was out. Then they both stopped working all together. Then they came back and worked correctly and are now out again. I'm not sure where to start on that one.

Thanks!

1 week later
#86 4 years ago

I figured out that the sound it's making is normal.

Any idea on where to start with the two small displays?

#87 4 years ago

Have you re-flowed the solder on the header pins of the display?

Have you replaced any connectors on the mpu? Is the mpu original?

#88 4 years ago

I figured out that the sound it's making is normal.
Any idea on where to start with the two small displays?

Not sure what you mean by "small display" they are all the same size. If you are talking about the credits/ball in play? If so, switch it with a known working display. If the problem moves then you have a display problem. Carefully reflow the solder to the receiving pins on the display. If that doesn't work reflow the transistors/resistors related to any missing segments. You can go to the following two places for a lot of good ideas:

http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_disp6r.htm
http://howtopinball.com/files/pinball/paperwork/stern-classic/stern-parts-catalog-1979.pdf (Great stuff pages 21-32)

This will clear up almost all issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-ali/page/2?hl=odenonmyside513 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.