Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images_(resized).jpg
20160522_151004_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Very close to finishing an afm play field swap. Got everything plugged back in (except for back glass lights). Everything seems to be running fine. However, one flasher isn't working. I swapped led's, checked all fuses and confirmed continuity from the lamp socket through the wires to the board connectors (red/white and blue/orange) but no joy. Any help troubleshooting appreciated

20160522_171011_(resized).jpg20160522_171011_(resized).jpg

20160522_151004_(resized).jpg20160522_151004_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Bulb good ? Metal clips inside the socket that grab the bulb good ? Power at the socket ?

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Nothing at the socket. Swapped with led from working flasher. Checked continuity from each lead in the socket all the way to the connector at the board. Upon further inspection, mothership cockpit flasher also out, although I haven't had a chance to swap that led to rule out whether it's just a bad led.

#4 7 years ago

Hey Ninja
One way to isolate a board problem from a wiring/connector/socket problem/playfield problem is to put an alligator clip w/lead on the metal tab of TIP 102 Transistor Q 14 (associated with Blu-Org). (Sol/Flasher Table P 2-46 in the AFM manual)
With power on, momentarily touch the wire to ground (side rail, .....) Don't get shocked by touching any bare wires or ground.
If the flasher lights, then wiring, power to flasher, connectors, even the trace on the driver board to Q 14 is OK. This would further indicate a problem with the TIP 102 or it's pre-driver or other board problems.
If the flasher does not light, there is a wiring, connector, socket, lamp, power to flasher, or other playfield ........ problem.
Do not run this test on the high power TIP36C transistors.
Wally

#5 7 years ago

Did I miss it somewhere that you tested the socket for voltage? I see testing for continuity. Led flashers are very , very finicky. Start with the socket before delving into anything else. If you have voltage, play with the led bulb. Rotate it 180 degrees and reinstall it.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. It'll be a few days before I'm able to try those suggestions. I'll post results then.Thanks

#7 7 years ago

images_(resized).jpgimages_(resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

nice! I get it.

#9 7 years ago

Every time my flashers have gone out it turned out to be the socket. I took the sockets from old ramps I had laying around . I would remove the rivets and install the socket to the ramp inside the machine giving me the issue. The sockets seem very temperamental. Actually this happened on my AFM but the socket location I replaced was on the right ramp.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

The sockets seem very temperamental.

Pinball Life sells new ones. No problems for 20 years again.

LTG : )

#11 7 years ago

Thanks for the input.. I have some time this weekend to do some more troubleshooting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Wanted
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-afm-flasher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.