Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by n1teowl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I've been having a very frustrating intermittent problem with my World Cup Soccer '94. At times, balls will randomly pop into the shooter lane. I'll be playing and then I can feel the solenoid for the ball eject half-firing and then finally it fully fires, ejecting a ball. Sometimes two or three balls will get kicked out. It's very random timing, sometimes half-way through my first game, sometimes not until the second or third. Other games it plays fine and no extra balls are kicked out. I've tested the opto trough boards and even replaced the emitter board, but the problem persists. No random switches fire during the switch test, and the balls don't seem to be getting stuck in the trough. I've kind of eliminated the trough optos as the problem as they seem to work fine. This leaves the opto board that the emitter and receiever connect to. I tried reflowing the board without success. I hear that the chips can go bad on this board - could that cause this type of behavior? Should I just replace the board? Any other ideas of what could be causing this? The intermittent nature of this issue makes it very hard to troubleshoot. Thanks for any input anyone has.

#2 4 years ago

'Half-firing' sounds more like the coil gets powered while it shouldn't. Maybe a pinched wire touching ground

#3 4 years ago

Those troughs are notorious for divots. The divots come from the balls crashing into them. They can also be problems in games with magnets, and while the magnet in WCS isn't super useful, it does have a magnet!

Try one of these:

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=51&products_id=449

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

'Half-firing' sounds more like the coil gets powered while it shouldn't. Maybe a pinched wire touching ground

I've heard that it can be an issue with the trough stack opto where it will attempt to clear a blockage by half-firing. When it still can't clear the blockage it fires fully.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Those troughs are notorious for divots. The divots come from the balls crashing into them. They can also be problems in games with magnets, and while the magnet in WCS isn't super useful, it does have a magnet!
Try one of these:
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=51&products_id=449

Unfortunately, I've tried one of those with no effect. The balls don't seem to be getting stuck or having any problems in the trough.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 11.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside