(Topic ID: 137039)

Help With 1978 Gottlieb Sinbad! All guesses accepted. ;)

By PinJer

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by PinJer
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3401.jpg
IMG_3400.jpg
IMG_3306.jpg
Capture.png
IMG_3285.jpg
IMG_3283-2.jpg
IMG_3280.jpg
IMG_3287.jpg
IMG_3282.jpg
IMG_3284.jpg
IMG_3286.jpg
IMG_3273.jpg
IMG_3205.jpg
IMG_3197.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinJer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hey guys! Just picked up a Sinbad this morning and I am having a heck of a time figuring what may be wrong with it. It worked for about an hour, and as I was replacing the bulbs with new LED's and a new rubber kit I noticed that the displays were not flashing any more or that the drop targets will not reset when started. I finished up the rubber kit and LED exchange and now I turn on the game, the Displays do not work, the game will not start, targets do not reset BUT the main lights are on and the chimes work? Any clue?

I replaced all the fuses and no luck. Reconnected all the connectors and no luck. I am out of options at this point and willing to try anything.

Thank you so much!

#3 8 years ago

I replaced about 20 bulbs with the power on... I have checked and changed everything, I am thinking it is a board I may have shorted? I mean, I check the slam bar, tilt, everything and I only played it twice, I was changing bulbs and next thing I know it won't play? Should I start looking at a pascal board now then? ...

#5 8 years ago

All the lights come on and the High Score blinks and all, but thats it. A game won't start, displays will not come on, and flippers are dead (obviously because game is not in play.) I shut the game off and put all the regular bulbs back in. Still nothing.

#6 8 years ago

Would I have to get a new one of these? The CPU board above it is brand new... The power board (small to the left looks rough)

#8 8 years ago

Yes.

#10 8 years ago

Free Play. The game won't even register at all. Just the lights come on and the chimes. No display what so ever

#13 8 years ago

Displays do not come on at all. The little bulb that highlights the "High Score" comes on but thats it. No display, no play, just palyfield and back glass lights and the chimes after about 20 seconds. Power up the chimes come on. The game will not even start.

#15 8 years ago

Excellent! Thank you. I noticed my top molex connector works but the red wire (second to the left) is loose and doesn't connect very well. Should I look into getting a new power board? I found one for $35... I am not very handy with the voltages as I do not have a multimeter.

#17 8 years ago

Perfect! Thank you for the suggestion. Is there still a possibility that it may not work if I get the board given the details given?

#19 8 years ago

Ok! Thank you again so much for your help. Great members like you are the reason pinside is so great. Ordered a Power Supply from local distrubutor so we will see what happens. I will not need a driver board correct from what we have been saying?

#23 8 years ago

Thank you! I have been checking all the tilt mechs and slam door and everything looks good to me but will continue to check, also I have found a great System 1 video on Youtube on how to check where I need to with a multimeter. I am going to scour the machine today to see what is up. I have ordered a new power supply and may do a driver board just in case as they are the originals. If any one has any new or partially used cables from the MPU board to the Driver Board (I believe AJ1 or 3 or 5? you can tell I am still new to these) I am willing to purchase them from you. I appreciate all the support and help! You guys rock!

#25 8 years ago

Thank you Forceflow! I bought a cheap multimeter and was checking the power on the power board. The top where the 5 and -12 readings were working EXCEPT the far right pin at the top connector (-12?) It did not budge no matter what. It would read every other pin though. THEN I would check the pins on the far right in the middle where that connects the power to the MCU board and all but one was shot. No readings on any of them accept one in the middle? I did not check the bottom one as that is where the power comes from and needed to get the readings. I checked all the fuses and all metered to work? The power board is being shipped soon so I am praying it is the power board as some of the readings were not showing up?

#26 8 years ago

The Power board has seen better days, and I need to order a new connector for the A1-J5 / A3-J1

IMG_3197.jpgIMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3205.jpgIMG_3205.jpg

#28 8 years ago

OK, I guess I will just pray it was the shotty power board and if not than it has to be something simple I am missing? I am afraid to power it up as it may cause damage to something? Do you think I am ok to turn it on with everything connected and see what I can find? or will the risk it heavily?

#29 8 years ago

Power Supply Showed up... and the game still does not work? So now I have a new Nu-wimpf CPU that the LED's come on letting me know that power is circulating, the Power board is installed and brand new, and so the driver board from Rotten Dog is on its way and I don't think that has anything to do with it? I also ordered new connectors for Power supply to CPU and that big connector from CPU to Driver board.

I also ordered and replaced every single fuse and no luck?

The chimes play and the lights turn on, but the displays do not work and the game will not start? If the driver board does not work, what could it possibly be? I have checked all the tilt mechs and all and still nothing. I am going to have a tech come out and repair the drop targets and see if he can find it if this driver board does not work. Any other options you guys think it may be?

#30 8 years ago

**UPDATE**

New Nuwimpf board, New Power Supply, New Driver board... and it still will not boot. Any suggestions?

#33 8 years ago

Thank you gentleman.

FUGTM, I believe you are right. I found a wire (pictured below) that was not connected, so I soldiered it back and now some of the lights are out and the flippers won't flip any more compared to when it wasn't connected? The guy I bought it from said it could be a chip in my ni-wimpf board? Yet he can not be so sure without putting it in his shop. I was reading on the nu-wimpf site that the MPU boards do not work with the Rotten dog amusements? Is this true? I will triple check everything.

IMG_3273.jpgIMG_3273.jpg

#35 8 years ago

Here is a video I made explaining and showing a few things.

#39 8 years ago

Ralphwiggum - My connectors are kind of shotty but I ordered new Power to MPU and MPU to driver ones and should be here tomorrow or friday so I hope that helps. This is my first system one but I have learned so much already from this post right here so once again thank you all.

FUGTM - I did as you stated above and two interesting things happened. The first time I did it, the LED stayed on for 8 seconds and then shut off. Maybe a short? I noticed that my color changing LED on the back glass began to work though for the first time ever but another bulb (game over) that normally blinks was not working?

Then I turned it off and turned it back on again, same thing but the LED on the MPU shut off about 4 seconds later.

Fast forward, I connect all the connectors and LED shuts off after 4 seconds, BUT this time the flippers do not work when you press them and the back glass LED works?

I am thinking it may be my connectors? The rotten dog driver board is so new and I bet those connectors need to adjusted? Things are just not adding up but I feel we are getting closer.

#41 8 years ago

I sure will Ralph! I'll upload them asap

#43 8 years ago

Photo's are attached below. I took apart connectors to take photos plugged them back in and I noticed that the LED on the MPU stayed on for 20 seconds and the chimes too much longer than usual than it normally does. Flippers still do not work now, and the color changing LED is now on.... I DEF know that the power to the MPU board connector (5v second red wire) comes out of the harness so easy.

IMG_3286.jpgIMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3284.jpgIMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3282.jpgIMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3287.jpgIMG_3287.jpg

#44 8 years ago

IMG_3280.jpgIMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3283-2.jpgIMG_3283-2.jpg

IMG_3285.jpgIMG_3285.jpg

#46 8 years ago

The one above is the power supply and I ordered a new one of those. Looks like I will have to get some pins and molex connectors.

#49 8 years ago

I purchased a Carnevil machine this morning and had a tech who dropped it off take a quick look at the machine for me. I checked all the switches and things looked good, but we still couldn't find the source. He did notice though that some of the chips on the Nu-wimpf board (U17 and the big one to the left) was very hot and was probably the source of the issue in that MPU. With this being said, will I have to replace the chips or board all together? The board was purchased when I bought the machine and at this point I just want it to play already.

IMG_3306.jpgIMG_3306.jpg

#51 8 years ago

Ordered a new Ni-wimpf board. Took off the old one and the one chip is fried. Got the new one to make the machine work and play, but the 4 red targets in the back does not reset, the roll over targets do not register or chime and there is still a short out there some where. Love the Mark II board but I have to fix the short before this one shots. I have a tech coming over tomorrow to find and fix the short and replace the drop targets with new ones. If anyone is interested in this board let me know and I will ship it out to you.

IMG_3400.jpgIMG_3400.jpg

IMG_3401.jpgIMG_3401.jpg

#53 8 years ago

Feel free to DM an offer my man. You are the most knowledgable guy on this machine, and I can not thank you again for all the information. I am done throwing money at the machine and I am praying the tech tomorrow can fix it for me so I can just play a little on the machine.

#54 8 years ago

A quick update: The tech came and after hours of picking at everything there was a couple diodes that were shot, a few switches that were shorting the boards, a blown transistor on the new rotten dog driver board, and the MPU to Driver board connector (new one from docent electronics) was shotty. He replaced the drop targets, so now we are going to replace the diodes, the transistor is going to be added to the new board, and once docent sends a new connector it should be ready to see what it all says... Hopefully this thing will finally work. I will never get rid of this thing... lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinJer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-1978-gottlieb-sinbad-all-guesses-accepted?tu=PinJer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.