• 17 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Xenon75
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi All

Ok. Jay got done doing a thorough clean of the machine including adding new LEDs. All seems fine when power switch is turned on. Try to add credits via switch on coin chutes and credits do not appear. Put in test mode and flipper switches do not work. Tried to out in tourement mode and can't get to far there as switches don't seem to work. Other than that, when machine is just sitting powered up all seems fine. Was working ok prior to my cleaning and waxing playfield and changing bulbs to LEDs

Please anyone out there would appreciate some help. Hate like hell when shit like this happens

Oh well. I'll get it eventually with your guys good help. Thanks in advance

G

#2 9 years ago

If all the boards are flashing their LEDs and the machine is sitting in attract mode, the machine should be able to go into test mode and you should be able to navigate test with the flippers and start button.
Flipper switches not working in test could mean the flipper sensor board under the playfield was disconnected when you were putting in LEDs.

Also hate to say it, more people around here report problems with Sys3 after they put in LEDs. Reason being that the switch and lamp matrix on Sys3 share the strobes and if you put a bad LED in the matrix, it causes all kinds of havoc with the switch matrix. Personally, on Sys3 I prefer LEDs in the GI and flashers and incandescent on the matrix.

viperrwk

#3 9 years ago

Hello Viper

Went down and took a look. The status led's are blinking on the aux sound board, sound board, CPU board and Dot Matrix board. Doesn't seem to be one on the driver board. I will look to find the flipper board but again, when I manually trip the switch in the coin chute to add credits, it will not. I did not advise earlier but I also did the ground mod for the game and was exceeding careful here to insure that the grounds were indeed connected.

Does this assist with your assistance to me?

Thank you Viper,

George...

#4 9 years ago

Try this: remove P4 from the driver board and see if the switches work. If so you have a problem with the lighting. The insert lights won't work but if it recognizes the switches you know you have a lighting problem.

viperrwk

#5 9 years ago

Viper.

I would assume remove p4 with power off and then power on and try switches

Correct?

Thank you

G

#6 9 years ago

Yep.

viperrwk

#7 9 years ago

Viper

This did not seem to affect anything as far as switches go. No flipper sense when in test mode and still not able to add credits with the coin chute switches

I am grateful for your help. Anything else I can check? Do'in need to test each individual led that is under the playfield? I'm all ears

Thank you

G

#8 9 years ago

weekend bump

#9 9 years ago

Hi ALl,

Wanted to maybe clarify a bit where I am at with this beast. Attract mode seems to work just fine, Audio, DMD GI lights. All seems just fine. What I cannot do is to get the game to register a credit when I manually trip the coin chute switches (either) and the machine does not want to see the flipper works either. I understand that even in attract mode the flippers should be able to show the instructions for the game on the DMD but it is as though they are not there. Checked what Viper suggested the the board under the playfield is not disconnected. All the status LED's on the individual boards are blinking as they should. I also did as Viper suggested and disconnected P4 from the driver board and check again and this did not prove any different results.

If there is anyone out there that is well versed in GTB Sys 3 and can assist, I'll buy you a beer! OK, I'll send you the money for a beer unless your in my neck of the woods.

Thanks guys,

G

#10 9 years ago

One additional thing I thought might help. In test mode doing the switch test the machine reports all switches open. Doesn't sound right as the trough seiches should show as closed since the balls are sitting in there.

#11 9 years ago

Viper is as good with System 3 as anyone around here. If you're patient, he can help you get this fixed.

As for your switch test, select the "switch edge test" and toggle each switch manually. The DMD should display the last switch you toggled. Bring back a list of which switches aren't registering, and we can move forward.

BTW, if your flipper switches aren't sensing, you'll never be able to navigate your test menus. Since you can get into the test menus, your flipper switches have to be working properly.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

Viper is as good with System 3 as anyone around here. If you're patient, he can help you get this fixed.
As for your switch test, select the "switch edge test" and toggle each switch manually. The DMD should display the last switch you toggled. Bring back a list of which switches aren't registering, and we can move forward.
BTW, if your flipper switches aren't sensing, you'll never be able to navigate your test menus. Since you can get into the test menus, your flipper switches have to be working properly.

Just sent a pm. Flipper switches are not working. That is a major part if the problem

Thanks

G

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Flipper switches are not working.

Then how did you perform the switch test you mentioned above?

Quoted from GPS:

In test mode doing the switch test the machine reports all switches open.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

Then how did you perform the switch test you mentioned above?

By just pushing the yellow test button inside the coin door area and stepping through some of the tests. Sorry for the confusion. I could not control any if the tests though. Bob has been a huge help on this project. Machine is now running with P4 disconnected on the driver board. Am planning to remove all the LEDs from the controlled lights and just put in 44's. I hate to do this as I spent some good money on those with Cointaker. Wish I knew then what I know now about system 3, controlled lights as using LEDs. DONT. Oh well line and learn. Also found a bad opto circuit at the top if the ski hill

Going to replace the transmit and receive LEDs and that should fix that. As is it is reporting a closed circuit as if a ball were breaking the beam when indeed no ball is present

Also going to replace the three bridge rectifiers as I think I have one going bad. For the price I'll just do all three and w done with it

That's where I am at now. Thanks to Bob and Jim at Echo Lakefor all their kind assistance

G

#15 9 years ago

Don't be so quick on the Opto LEDs. Here's a repair log I wrote for a similar issue. It sounds to me as if your LEDs could be causing the same kind of symptom.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-3-repair-log

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

Don't be so quick on the Opto LEDs. Here's a repair log I wrote for a similar issue. It sounds to me as if your LEDs could be causing the same kind of symptom.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-3-repair-log

Hi There,

When i just powered the game up, all controlled lights were back in order working correctly along with switches but that opto circuit at the top of the slaom hill was still thinking there was a ball up there. One Red LED is on on the opto board so I think I may have a bad transmit or receive or both LED at that location. I will swap it out and see what happens. Thank you though for your post.

G

2 years later
#17 6 years ago

What was the resolution to get the switch matrix to come back? I am having a similar issue where I have no switches and no controlled lamps.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-wipe-out-gtlb-sys-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.