(Topic ID: 178864)

Help! Williams 3-6 sound board, type one repair (Laser Ball)

By Brewchap

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brewchap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I have a non-working Laser Ball. So far I have worked out most of the problems with the MDU and Driver boards.
While I was waiting for parts, I started working on the Sound board, that would not work at all. I am doing this on the work bench, using a computer power supply.

What I have done to this point:
Power supply circuit is good and I have the correct voltage on the capacitors, CR4 and IC11.

I also removed the old sockets for the PIA, CPU, and Sound Rom replacing with new sockets. I socket the buffer chips and replaced the two buffer chips.

SW1 circuit test good.

Tried new PIA and CPU along with a Sound Rom (and test Sound Rom)

Everything in the Sound Select Inputs test correct on the caps and resistors, all the way to the inputs of IC8 and IC9, other than 10J3-8 which only works if you turn SW2 on.

Where the problems lay:

The Reset Circuit, I replaced all resistors, caps, transistors, and zener diode in the reset circuit along with the crystal and the 2 caps for it.
I will have to replace one capacitor. This capacitor is C5. I did replace this, but with a larger value (50-ohms). This capacitor needs to be 2.2 MFD for the switching of the 3.58 MHZ crystal. I have that on order now, but I tried using two 1-ohm capacitors in parallel. This did not get me anywhere. (I tried)
With that said, I have tested the whole circuit and found no voltage on R7, 8, 9, 11, and Q2. I have no pulsing on IC1 p40 (have +5v) so the CPU is not starting.

The Audio To Speaker circuit, most all resistors, capacitors and transistor have been replace.
I have tested the whole circuit and found no voltage to C35, C12, and C13. Not sure what R18 should be doing, but it has no voltage.

Now I do have to say, tha, I dropped something on the board with power on. The TDA2003 shorted and had to be replaced.
Before hand the speaker had a slight pop to it at start up and rubbing a finger on the back of the board would cause a light hum.
After I replaced the TDA2003, I have a very loud (may be pulsing) humming tone that floats it tone a bit, (I think that I now have dirty power due to a weaken capacitors.) and then I touch the back of TDA2003, I get a loud (true) hum that I would expect.

I feel like I have replaced most of the board, only to get a very loud noise.

I got more parts ordered from GPE. More resistors and capacitors...got to love it!! I when ahead and ordered new sockets, new DAC and Nand gate just in case. Sucks finding out that you need a part and have to wait on it.

Barakandl has helped me a lot on what equipment I need (Love the Hakko FR-300,) techniques and personal advice to get me to this point. I have learned a lot from him. Giving him a shout out! He is a great guy and I'm sure I've asked to much already.

Sorry for the long post, Just wanted to get my story out on what I have done as I am getting frustrated trying to understand why the Reset and part of the Audio to speaker don't work. I've spent enough money to have gone out and bought new boards, but I enjoy this. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brewchap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-williams-3-6-sound-board-type-one-repair-laser-ball?tu=Brewchap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.