• Latest reply 10 years ago by Choggard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-371.jpg
#1 10 years ago

When I open the coin door and go into the settings and than exit the game starts up.. What could be causing this?

Thanks for you help

Game is BK2000

#2 10 years ago

Dead batteries

#3 10 years ago

Or a stuck switch. I'd bet on the stuck switch.

#4 10 years ago

I'm leaning toward dead batteries. Had the exact same thing happen to my taxi. Installed a remote battery holder while I was at it, all was fine after.

#5 10 years ago

No batteries are brand new. What kind of stuck switch wouldn't allow the game to start up?

#6 10 years ago

Batteries are good.. Bump

#7 10 years ago

It should say on the display the switch number if i remember correctly. Does the free game knocker pop too?

The other thing could be good batteries but a bad diode or battery holder. I don't have a game of that era to test but I'm pretty sure it is a switch or battery not holding the settings. You can have good batteries and a bad on board holder and get this message.

If you turn it on, let that message come up then flip the switch fast off and on does it boot right? If yes your batteries are 110% of the problem.

Chris Kruger

#8 10 years ago

yeah take a meter and measure the voltage at the board right at the holder with the game off. 4.5v OR more.

#9 10 years ago

Adjustment error on startup can be caused by powering it on with the coin door open.

#10 10 years ago

Are your high scores and game settings gone after you get past the adjustment warning?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

yeah take a meter and measure the voltage at the board right at the holder with the game off. 4.5v OR more.

Good suggestion. Batteries can look like they are in fully, but are actually not quite making contact somewhere. Check the actual voltage coming from the holder. Especially if you just changed them.

#12 10 years ago

Your battieries may be good, but they are likely not making a good connection.

#13 10 years ago

I would examine the battery holder as well. If there is corrosion on the contacts, new batteries wont work as they are sitting there but basically not hooked up.

#14 10 years ago

yeah i saw one holder were the middle upper contact fell off and battery was just pressing up against bakelite spacer, thus no voltage to the board with brand new batteries. It is really best to just mount a remote holder anyhow. Pull the board and do the work.

#15 10 years ago

Update- I replaced the battery holder and the game started working again with no errors.. Two days later I am getting a different error now.. Now I can't play it at all when I power it on it says U25 adjustment failure... Just ordered a 6116 chip today so in a few days I'll replace it and hopefully that will fix it..

#16 10 years ago

Is there any battery damage present on the board? Just went thru this on a black knight 2000, there was some alkaline damage under u26 and u27 sockets.

#17 10 years ago

u26 error from the manual states "flipping over priced games to other pinheads results in electrical gnomes infecting future games"

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Is there any battery damage present on the board? Just went thru this on a Black Knight 2000, there was some alkaline damage under u26 and u27 sockets.

Thanks I'll look at it later tonight..

#19 10 years ago

6116 on that board in soldered in. Be careful those etches are flimsy. Use a socket so you can inspect and test the etches under the chip if something goes awry.

What does the MPU diags leds say when you hit the diag button?

You could have just blew out the 6116 while handling the board or you could have an interlock problem/mem protect.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Update- I replaced the battery holder and the game started working again with no errors.. Two days later I am getting a different error now.. Now I can't play it at all when I power it on it says U25 adjustment failure... Just ordered a 6116 chip today so in a few days I'll replace it and hopefully that will fix it..

It is not likely that you need to replace the 6116, unless you have confirmed that the battery voltage is actually getting to pin 24 of U25 first. From the repair guides:

"After testing the batteries at the battery holder, test for voltage at the blocking diode D2 (1N4148), which is next to the left bottom side of the battery hold on the CPU board. With the game off, put the black lead on the backbox ground strap, and put the red lead on either side of the diode. You should get around 4.2 to 4.8 volts. The banded diode of the diode connects to the U25 RAM chip pin 24, and should be about .5 volts less than the non-banded side of the diode. If you only get voltage on only one side of the diode (the non-banded side, which connects directly to the battery), the diode is bad and needs to be replaced.

Next check for voltage at the U25 RAM chip. With the game off, you should get about 4.3 volts DC at pin 24 of chip U25 (ground is pin 20 by the way). If you don't, the battery voltage is not getting to the U25 RAM chip. This will cause the game will boot up with the "Factory Setting" or "Adjustment error". Note pin 24 of the 24 pin RAM chip is in the same position as pin 1 of the chip, but on the opposite row of pins. Pin 1 is designated with an impressed "dot" right on the top of the chip. This chip is a 2k by 8 CMOS static 24 pin RAM chip. The part number will be 2016 or 6116-L or NTE2128. Early system 11 games specify this chip as a 5177, but this chip can be replaced with a 6116 instead.

You can still have problems even if you installed new batteries and all the voltages check out. If your game is still giving "Factory Setting" or "Adjustment error", you may have a bad CPU U25 RAM chip. But make sure you double check that battery holder. Even minor corrosion can cause this problem. The voltages may all check out, but the corrosion may be enough to limit CURRENT, and cause this problem."
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index3.htm

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It is not likely that you need to replace the 6116, unless you have confirmed that the battery voltage is actually getting to pin 24 of U25 first. From the repair guides:
"After testing the batteries at the battery holder, test for voltage at the blocking diode D2 (1N4148), which is next to the left bottom side of the battery hold on the CPU board. With the game off, put the black lead on the backbox ground strap, and put the red lead on either side of the diode. You should get around 4.2 to 4.8 volts. The banded diode of the diode connects to the U25 RAM chip pin 24, and should be about .5 volts less than the non-banded side of the diode. If you only get voltage on only one side of the diode (the non-banded side, which connects directly to the battery), the diode is bad and needs to be replaced.
Next check for voltage at the U25 RAM chip. With the game off, you should get about 4.3 volts DC at pin 24 of chip U25 (ground is pin 20 by the way). If you don't, the battery voltage is not getting to the U25 RAM chip. This will cause the game will boot up with the "Factory Setting" or "Adjustment error". Note pin 24 of the 24 pin RAM chip is in the same position as pin 1 of the chip, but on the opposite row of pins. Pin 1 is designated with an impressed "dot" right on the top of the chip. This chip is a 2k by 8 CMOS static 24 pin RAM chip. The part number will be 2016 or 6116-L or NTE2128. Early system 11 games specify this chip as a 5177, but this chip can be replaced with a 6116 instead.
You can still have problems even if you installed new batteries and all the voltages check out. If your game is still giving "Factory Setting" or "Adjustment error", you may have a bad CPU U25 RAM chip. But make sure you double check that battery holder. Even minor corrosion can cause this problem. The voltages may all check out, but the corrosion may be enough to limit CURRENT, and cause this problem."
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index3.htm

Thanks yeah I was reading this... I checked the positive on the battery pack wire I solder to the board and it was reading 3.6v.. I replaced the batteries with new ones and now everything is working again. It will probably do the same thing again.. Two days is fast for brand new batteries to run dead.. Now I just need to find those diodes.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Thanks yeah I was reading this... I checked the positive on the battery pack wire I solder to the board and it was reading 3.6v.. I replaced the batteries with new ones and now everything is working again. It will probably do the same thing again.. Two days is fast for brand new batteries to run dead.. Now I just need to find those diodes.

Blocking diode D2 is to the lower left of the onboard battery holder.

#23 10 years ago

Jump right over and measure U25 pin 24...if you get 4.3VDC or more there, then you should replace U25. If not, it's probably something else (D2, battery pack, solder connections etc..)

#24 10 years ago

D2 diode is reading 4.8 on both sides.. Checks out okay

Quote from repair guides:If you only get voltage on only one side of the diode (the non-banded side, which connects directly to the battery), the diode is bad and needs to be replaced.

Are they talking about diode C30 on board above D2 next to battery pack? This diode is reading 0volts on one side and 1.3v on the other side..

#25 10 years ago

image-371.jpgimage-371.jpg
C30 Blue diode on top is testing 1.3v on bottom side and 0volts on top..

D2 diode test 4.8 on both sides..

#26 10 years ago

C30 is a capacitor.. C = cap D = diode.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

C30 is a capacitor.. C = cap D = diode.

Thanks yeah I knew that.. Lol.. If that d2 diode checks out okay than what's causing those batteries to die? U25 chip is bad?

#28 10 years ago

U25 chip pin 24 tests 4.4v.. I already ordered a 6116 chip.. Why would this kill the batteries that fast?

#29 10 years ago

Could just have been crap batteries. That is not rare. Evan had instances where the leaked on the board after just a week. Grab a fresh set from another package and try it before swapping chips. Its easier and safer for the board.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Could just have been crap batteries. That is not rare. Evan had instances where the leaked on the board after just a week. Grab a fresh set from another package and try it before swapping chips. Its easier and safer for the board.

Yeah could be but i am thinking it's more than that.. Time will tell.. Thanks for your input!

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

U25 chip pin 24 tests 4.4v.. I already ordered a 6116 chip.. Why would this kill the batteries that fast?

Internal short on the IC to ground, drawing more current than it is supposed to....BUT, something else is bothering me, about this:

Quoted from Choggard:

C30 Blue diode on top is testing 1.3v on bottom side and 0volts on top..
D2 diode test 4.8 on both sides..

Is this with the power off? It shouldn't be measuring this - there is no voltage drop from the diode. My game measured 4.8VDC on the anode (non-banded) side and 4.4VDC on the cathode. This is around what you should see with the power off.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

D2 diode test 4.8 on both sides.

Do you have meter with diode test? sounds like your diode is bad like you are reading a piece of wire or shorted diode.
You should see a small voltage drop across the diode like wayout measured.

#33 10 years ago

Ask your old fluffer alter ego.

What was his name again? "Huggies"? "Hugsc"? what was his name???

I thought he was an expert in all things pinball when it came to your games...

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Do you have meter with diode test? sounds like your diode is bad like you are reading a piece of wire or shorted diode.
You should see a small voltage drop across the diode like wayout measured.

Thanks guys I'll checked tonight!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Machine - For Sale
Woodinville, WA
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-when-i-turn-the-game-on-its-doesnt-start-it-says-adjustment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.