(Topic ID: 256423)

Help wanted! Sticker removal on Lost World.

By RobDutch

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by sbmania
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should I leave the sticker?”

• No 9 votes
    69%
  • Yes 4 votes
    31%

(13 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191128_224740_HDR (resized).jpg
20191128_194904_HDR (resized).jpg
20191125_215109 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

As you can see from the photo, the large green bit is not original. I thought it was painted, but yesterday I found out it is a sticker (Same thickness as the mylar near the slingshots).

I am not planning on restoring the playfield, but I might remove the sticker because it looks awful.

Anyone got tips on removing such a thing without tearing all the paint off? I peeled a corner off and it does not look like I pulled any paint off.

20191125_215109 (resized).jpg20191125_215109 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

One question is why was the sticker put there in the first place. Perhaps there is substantial wear underneath. Still, I agree that the sticker is awful and even a substantially worn playfield might be preferable.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

One question is why was the sticker put there in the first place. Perhaps there is substantial wear underneath. Still, I agree that the sticker is awful and even a substantially worn playfield might be preferable.

I am 100% sure the playfield has damage there, but I prefer to see a damaged playfield instead of this

So the question is not if I should remove it, but how I should remove it..

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

I am 100% sure the playfield has damage there, but I prefer to see a damaged playfield instead of this
So the question is not if I should remove it, but how I should remove it..

Well, you do have a poll asking if you should remove it . . . .

#5 4 years ago

True true

Do you have an idea how to remove it? (heatgun or something?)

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

True true

No. I’ve never done it, but there are plenty of threads on pinside about the heat vs freezing methods. I don’t think there is a consensus.

Good luck! And be sure to post pics of what’s under there.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

True true

I would try heat first myself.

#8 4 years ago

That playfield needs some TLC. All that applied red is at wear areas also. First thing I would do is give it a good cleaning and see what I'm up against.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

As you can see from the photo, the large green bit is not original. I thought it was painted, but yesterday I found out it is a sticker (Same thickness as the mylar near the slingshots).
I am not planning on restoring the playfield, but I might remove the sticker because it looks awful.
Anyone got tips on removing such a thing without tearing all the paint off? I peeled a corner off and it does not look like I pulled any paint off.[quoted image]

Are you ready for the work needed if you peel this up and it’s a horrible mess under there? Maybe there’s terrible wear and gouges or something. Maybe it’s fine.
This is a huge gamble and if you peel it off you’re committed!

#10 4 years ago
#11 4 years ago

Check google, youtube, and pinside for articles on "Mylar Removal". Same principle. I'd recommend the freeze spray method. You can always practice on an old car bumper sticker, or anything really with stickers on it.

#12 4 years ago

I would rather leave the decal than see bare wood

#13 4 years ago

Get your wife's hair dryer, put it on hot, and start heating the area where you already started peeling up a corner. Put the nozzle of the hair dryer only an inch or two away from the surface. It needs to get HOT!
As the sticker gets hot, slowly start to peel it back further. Don't rush. Make sure you are only peeling after the glue is quite hot. So hot that you might actually want to use needle nose pliers to help hold the corner of the sticker when you are peeling. Continue heating and peeling, sweeping the hair drier back and forth over the area to be peeled. It will usually come off without any problems and remove little if any paint, except for paint which was already loose in the first place. Clean up the glue residue with lighter fluid and lots of rags, and then get ready for a massive touch up effort to correct whatever the sticker is hiding!

#14 4 years ago

PS Every time I have tried the freeze spray method, massive amounts of paint get destroyed. I'll never do that again! YMMV.

#15 4 years ago

Thanks everyone! Will try a bit with a heatgun and if the damage is "ok", I'll continue.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Check google, youtube, and pinside for articles on "Mylar Removal". Same principle.

I didn't think of that but its the same principle indeed.

#16 4 years ago

You'll probably be left with an arrow shaped area of bare playfield but that beats the ugly putting green right in the middle of the game. You've got to hand it to whoever put it on in the first place, they tried to make it look somewhat artistic.

#17 4 years ago

That doesn't look too bad. Whoever did it has put in time and effort. Leave it there as you will likely cause more damage removing it and it's likely underneath is poor.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Anyone got tips on removing such a thing without tearing all the paint off? I peeled a corner off and it does not look like I pulled any paint off.[quoted image]

You could make an effective repair with this: ebay.com link: BALLY LOST WORLD Pinball Machine Playfield Overlay

Expensive? Sure. Lost World was my favorite game to make into a Frankin' Kiss. However, the white wood door for a Kiss is very - very difficult to find these days. Also it looks like you need a rubber ring kit in a bad way.

#19 4 years ago

Managed to peel it off without taking any paint. Looks pretty okay if you ask me
Don't know if I'll remove the red ones (near the holes) too, it's obvious that the damage is deeper there.

20191128_194904_HDR (resized).jpg20191128_194904_HDR (resized).jpg
#20 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Managed to peel it off without taking any paint. Looks pretty okay if you ask me
Don't know if I'll remove the red ones (near the holes) too, it's obvious that the damage is deeper there.[quoted image]

Nice! That’s far more preferable than the sticker.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Nice! That’s far more preferable than the sticker.

Agreed! And now that its cleaned and with fresh rubbers (almost all of them) it looks a lot better.
20191128_224740_HDR (resized).jpg20191128_224740_HDR (resized).jpg

#22 4 years ago

You could touch that up easily with little bit of testors! Looks way better than the green decal!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-wanted-sticker-removal-on-lost-world?hl=mombo-number-5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.