1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Chosen_S
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

87ABD9DB-5E5F-486E-99F9-36991C887428 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Hi all, I need a little nudge in the right direction please...

I want to put a mod in a system 11, basically where I press a switch and a coil fires

I found a relay that needs (3vDC to 30vDC). to use as the switch and can activate up to 240vDC

CG Solid State Relay SSR-25DD DC to DC Input 3-32VDC To Output 5-240VDC 25A Single Phase Plastic Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GNSPCND/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_32ZNKK4BVXX2WNB0MF6A

So... I don’t want to send voltage through the gnd if it’s going to hurt something unintended, but I’m sure I’ll need to use common gnd anyway... here’s my diagram I drew, anyone know what I need to do to accomplish my goal and not blow fuses or release the magic smoke?

Help is greatly appreciated , thank you

87ABD9DB-5E5F-486E-99F9-36991C887428 (resized).jpeg87ABD9DB-5E5F-486E-99F9-36991C887428 (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

Looks fine - just make sure the diode across your new coil faces the +Ve supply - I think that's how you have it with the arrow facing UP?

And, yes, you will need to make sure you use the common ground in the machine.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Looks fine - just make sure the diode across your new coil faces the +Ve supply - I think that's how you have it with the arrow facing UP?
    And, yes, you will need to make sure you use the common ground in the machine.

Thank you
    Yes, I have the diode pointed toward the +70Vdc supply

Should I add a diode toward the +5vdc as well?

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Thank you
    Yes, I have the diode pointed toward the +70Vdc supply
    Should I add a diode toward the +5vdc as well?

Not needed on the switch side.

The diode is required across the coil to arrest the back EMF when the power is REMOVED from the coil. This spike can reach several thousand volts and destroy lots of stuff.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Not needed on the switch side.

Thank you,

I’ll hook it all up and report back!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-want-to-fire-an-extra-coil-with-a-switch-and-relay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.