View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20230207_141032_Facebook (resized).jpg
325A184F-E7A3-4AC7-9315-ADBB03BD3771 (resized).jpeg
00FDAD0B-F37C-428F-B314-B0E77E98FF3B (resized).jpeg
7FE5DB8A-8299-4829-8D24-41B8912471FD (resized).jpeg
025C3B11-6FA9-4A9C-AE17-56E43BF9C3D3 (resized).jpeg
5D036D7C-BC7E-45AD-99B3-8AC31C5F93D7 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Hey all, new around here. My dad was a trader back in the day and I’m currently in the market looking to get into the hobby. I know which machine I want to be my first and tracked down a seller via Instagram who, appears to be legit. The Instagram handle isn’t on the list of identified scams (has been active since September 2022). So far the communication hasn’t raised any eyebrows other than the person saying their website is currently under construction when I asked for references of prior sales. I asked about potential payment and was told it would have to be done via Zelle/Apple Pay/Google Pay. I know one of the hallmarks of the scam communication is poor grammar and this page’s communication seems real. Also said he would ship via CoinOp Shippers and not a phantom shipper. The Instagram handle is here: https://instagram.com/pinballmemory?igshid=NTdlMDg3MTY=

I’ve also attached photos I was sent of the machine which also seem to be genuine. I was also sent a video of it in action. Anyone work with this person before or am I being suckered? Thank you so much!

Edit: was told by the seller that I’d be able to inspect the machine if I could get to the location
00FDAD0B-F37C-428F-B314-B0E77E98FF3B (resized).jpeg00FDAD0B-F37C-428F-B314-B0E77E98FF3B (resized).jpeg025C3B11-6FA9-4A9C-AE17-56E43BF9C3D3 (resized).jpeg025C3B11-6FA9-4A9C-AE17-56E43BF9C3D3 (resized).jpeg325A184F-E7A3-4AC7-9315-ADBB03BD3771 (resized).jpeg325A184F-E7A3-4AC7-9315-ADBB03BD3771 (resized).jpeg5D036D7C-BC7E-45AD-99B3-8AC31C5F93D7 (resized).jpeg5D036D7C-BC7E-45AD-99B3-8AC31C5F93D7 (resized).jpeg7FE5DB8A-8299-4829-8D24-41B8912471FD (resized).jpeg7FE5DB8A-8299-4829-8D24-41B8912471FD (resized).jpeg

#2 1 year ago

The general consensus around here is to buy a machine in person, unless you are buying new in box from an authorized dealer.

I would not buy a machine shipped to my house from a random I don’t know for a machine I’ve never seen.

#3 1 year ago

Red Flag one, Website “under construction”. Is this a retailer? If so, what is the business name? They should have that result available and you should be able to verify the information they give you matches an address.

Red Flag 2. Payment methods are all non reversible in the event you get screwed. Whatever shipper they list is irrelevant as it doesn’t mean it will actually come.

If they give you an actual location where you can inspect and pick up then sure, but if they are pushing shipping and don’t want you there, it’s because they don’t have it.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from TheGreenVeggie:

was told by the seller that I’d be able to inspect the machine if I could get to the location

Does the seller already know how far away you live? Do you now the location/address? If not, ask for the location. Once you get the location, tell them you have a friend who lives within a 45 minute ride and will come to see it in person.

#5 1 year ago

Just looking at half of the prices would keep me from buying from them. Too good to be true and companies don't sell cheaper than the hobbyist. He isn't on the scam list because he is new and on Instagram. Might be legit, but my gut tells me to run. Based on his prices I would buy half of them right away. Cash on the glass IMO.

#6 1 year ago

As others have said, unless you can see this in person, I’d say no way.

FYI Too many insta users, blindly accept followers from bogus or scam accounts, they just want boosted follower numbers.
Then when the scammers are posting pics and trying to lure their next potential target in, you have all these people liking their pics.
Do your do diligence people, and look at the followers you are accepting. Several of you that are legit, add these peeps and you clearly don’t look at who you are adding. I can see them as I follow you as well….

#7 1 year ago

The pictures on Instagram all have banners for Pinmem. If you google that you get a Facebook page and website for a business in Australia, which looks legit, and has pictures with the same banners. If your not in Australia I wouldn't proceed. I can't imagine a seller with only an Instagram presence, no Facebook, pinside, klov, ebay, or other references.

#8 1 year ago

Isn’t that an Australian license plate on the truck?

Especially when starting, unless you live in Timbuktu, there is no reason to think about shipping a used machine.

#9 1 year ago

100% Scam

Run, you MF!!!

#10 1 year ago

As stated above...prices are below market and a classic red flag. Don't do it - stick to in person only for your first pin.

#11 1 year ago

Hey all, new around here. My dad was a trader back in the day and I’m currently in the market looking to get into the hobby. I know which machine I want to be my first and tracked down a seller via Instagram who, appears to be legit. The Instagram handle isn’t on the list of identified scams (has been active since September 2022). So far the communication hasn’t raised any eyebrows other than the person saying their website is currently under construction when I asked for references of prior sales. I asked about potential payment and was told it would have to be done via Zelle/Apple Pay/Google Pay. I know one of the hallmarks of the scam communication is poor grammar and this page’s communication seems real. Also said he would ship via CoinOp Shippers and not a phantom shipper. The Instagram handle is here: https://instagram.com/pinballmemory?igshid=NTdlMDg3MTY=
I’ve also attached photos I was sent of the machine which also seem to be genuine. I was also sent a video of it in action. Anyone work with this person before or am I being suckered? Thank you so much!
Edit: was told by the seller that I’d be able to inspect the machine if I could get to the location
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Shipping pinball machines is just foolish all around as someone new to the hobby!
These are aging machines and they break down easily.
Buy local, make local pinhead friends, you’ll need it!
You’re in NJ, I can think of 4 guys within an hour that are reputable sellers off the top of my head.

#12 1 year ago

Thanks everyone! I think I was obviously hesitant for the reasons everyone else replied with, but ultimately was holding out hope someone had purchased from them before. Thank you!

#13 1 year ago

Thanks guys, the profile has been added to the scam list, along with a few others.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-scam-game-seller-websites

#14 1 year ago

I'll add that, while certainly possible, I would find it to be an "orange" flag at least to see that none of us here on Pinside know this person, nor does he have a presence here. Any reseller would be smart to be apart of this community; to not be is of slight concern here.

I know it may be a hard call, but I'd run away from this transaction. In this market, better to be safe than sorry.

#15 1 year ago

Thanks everyone! I think I was obviously hesitant for the reasons everyone else replied with, but ultimately was holding out hope someone had purchased from them before. Thank you!

Scam. Run away!

Start here instead (all of these are near you):

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/search/

1 month later
#16 1 year ago
Screenshot_20230207_141032_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230207_141032_Facebook (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
Hardware

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-w-verifying-potential-seller and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.