You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SchematicSO.png
WilliamsReel.gif
#1 8 years ago

Hi All,
This request may not be for the faint of heart!!!

I picked up a non working SO about 6 months ago, it would not complete a new game start sequence.

It was very dirty. I cleaned all the score reels and steppers in the back box which helped get me closer and the game now does usually complete the new game start. I got discouraged though because of the issue below and have ignored this machine ..until now....id really like to get it working for Christmas flurry of pin action! It is going to take a pile of work though and I really hope to get some coaching.

I have this persistent problem between the score reels and the chime coils locking on. For example, when activating the 10 point bumper above the flipper and increment up to 90 all is ok, then when the score should roll over to 100 the 100 score reel does not fire but the small chime 100 point locks on with a loud buzz. I shut the machine off when this happens. I wonder if I have reassembled the score reels incorrectly to cause this?

This is a very dumb question but how does one start a 2 player game? Simply hit the start button twice at the beginning (after credits added) of new game? The machine does add credits and subtracts accurately.

As I was fiddling around trying to get reacquainted w the problems I walked away from months ago, I noticed It seemed I was on 2nd player because the little red 2 light on the bottom right of the back glass was lit but the big 2 beside the 2player score window was not lit and did not register any score. Problem. Then I notice the spinner 1000 when lit was on so I flip the spinner once and the 1000 chime coil locks on ...exact issue as the 100 chime,...problem. Why the spinner was lit for 1000 is another issue...guessing bonus stepper unit?

Why are the 100and 1000 chime coils locking on? But not the 10 pt?
I'm a newb and chasing several issues which makes isolating the problem areas tough for me. I could really use some coaching to help break this project down into manageable pieces. I have watched Steve Furys video several times on YT and wrote down all the steps. Yes I have the schematic and orig manual. Spread in front of me here at the kitchen table.

Even as I reread this I'm shaking my head. Any advice on the score reel and chime coil lock on would be very welcome.

#2 8 years ago

It sounds like your score reels need attention. When they turn around to 9th position is when the switches come into play affecting the rotation of the unit, i.e. more drag. All of the reel switches should be inspected for missing contact points (they do fall out on occasion), then adjusted "just so" so that the switches have a very light throw.

Generally, you just have to commit to tearing those reels down, cleaning everything, filing/sanding the points then adjusting them.

I want to say the EOS switch on the reel releases the chime coil...not sure on that one.

Maybe start a game, unplug the head and see if scoring points locks the chime coil then?

#3 8 years ago

+1 on Cody's reply - I think the EOS switch on the reel releases the 100/1000 point relay (whichever one is trying to roll over), which triggers the chime coil, however. I say that because if that gets stuck, then no switch that scores that amount of points on the PF will work while the EOS switch on the score reel is closed.

Your player unit sounds suspect with the Player 2 issue. When you press the credit button to add more players, the credit unit should decrease and that little red number at the bottom of the backglass should advance through 1, 2, 3 and 4. Then a switch on that unit opens to keep you from being able to add another (5th) player.

So then the game starts, and the player unit takes over. It is what moves through player to player as you work through a game. It works in conjunction with the ball count unit. Player unit is in the backbox and the ball count is on the motor board.

I would check all of the operations on the player unit for starters. Try manually advancing and resetting the player stepper unit in the backbox. It needs to be very clean and snappy, as there are a lot of contacts on that wheel that can bog its operation down if they get dirty. The clock spring on that player unit also needs to be adjusted just right in terms of tension to get a good reset and proper advancing.

Does the ball count unit work as it should in a one player game (e.g. moves through all 3/5 balls and then 'Game Over')? Sounds like it is ok at this point.

-scott

#4 8 years ago

Cody is leadin you right. you gotta go through all those reels, clean/lube/adjust. You can manually move the reels through the numbers with a finger or a stick. click them around a few times, and watch how the switches/reel acts when goin from 8 to 9, and from 9 to 0.
They must move smoothly, or you get all kinds of problems.
and chk the EOS switches, they are what releases the score relays, "most of the time anyway".
then, you have all the normal stuff, tighten switch stacks. clean/adjust as needed.
and chk coin door switches, "often overlooked", for correct assembly/function.
In short, go through the whole pin, clean and inspect everything. when these pins set for a long time, things get dusty, and oxidized.
you gotta get all that out if you expect the pin to keep working correctly.
and even then, expect a hiccup from time to time.

#5 8 years ago

BC -

I just realized I said players 1-4 in that post above...Duh - that's Space Mission! Sorry about that.

-scott

#6 8 years ago

The End of Stroke circuit ensures the player gets a score when the pulse from a playfield switch is too short to fully operate a score reel. The reaction time of a relay is shorter than that of a score reel.

When a playfield switch is struck, it turns on a relay (10 pt relay, 100 pt relay etc).
When the relay closes, a switch on the same relay closes to lock itself on.

Another switch on the same relay closes to operate the chime coil.
Another switch on the same relay closes to operate the score reel coil.

As the score reel solenoid plunger reaches the end of its stroke, it opens the EOS switch.
That now-open switch cuts power to the previously locked on relay.

The contacts on the now de-powered relay open, turning off the chimes and score reel coil.

The need of the EOS circuit is somewhat controversial. Some say it is not needed. Me, I like to keep my machines 100% original operational.

You can adjust the EOS switch on your score reels so they are always open and defeat their purpuse.... If nothing else just to isolate the trouble.

#7 8 years ago

First off, thank you all for taking the time to read through my first post and then provide such helpful information!!
Between you you have given me a bunch of tips to investigate. I will re visit the score reels and player unit and ball count unit and report back ...likely with a bunch of new questions!

#8 8 years ago

Here is an animation I made a while back. Notice the EOS switch.
WilliamsReel.gifWilliamsReel.gif

#9 8 years ago

^^^That's really cool.

#10 8 years ago

Thank you Steve that is very helpful.
So some good news is that I cycled the 10 and 100 score reels with that animation in mind and it looks like the end of stroke switches on both are not opening ...regardless of number on the reel. I also noticed that they were very grotty and also the open @ zero, 9th pos etc switches are also very grotty...EM dust/grime. I was so focused on the reels and really did not understand the importance of the eos switches.

So I will pull off the back box now and get out the saw horses to go through each carefully. Some serious business card action needed! Those eos switch blades look very light and would not need much to give a mis adjustment the other way...always open ..will be cautious. Like Steve said I'd like to keep the machine orig and function as it should without "mods".

Tempted to just give a quick tweak and see if I'm on the right track.

#11 8 years ago

Discouraging. Gave the 10 point reel eos switch blade a small adjustment, studied the 9 and zero set of 3 switches on this same reel and they all seem to be working as per the animation. So I fired up the game and tried 10 point scoring , get up to 90, then 100 reel does not fire to read 1 but the 100 point small chime dings and coil locks on. Buzzzzzzzz. I guess I can only score 90 points max! I feel really dumb right now...

Also, player 1 lit up and scored on this display yet the red player 2 light on bottom right? Also cannot start a 2 player game. I got issues! So take the backbox off or keep troubleshooting in situ? I like everything plugged together and now I cannot lay so much blame on the dirty switch stacks in my post above ...they seem to be functioning as intended...at least moving closed and open, but the 100 point relay and chime lock on as described and this sucks arse.

#12 8 years ago

Just tried ball count unit to see if I could end on a positive tonight. Started game, scored 10 points, score the 1000 point side drain big chime dings once, does not score 1000 but the chime coil locks on. And the ball count does not move to ball 2! Does go from game over to ball 1 though...

When the machine completes a new game reset, should any of the middle playfield bonus lights be on? Ie 1000 is lit?
Does not make sense to me that it should but I have never played the game before , I guess I'll watch a yt video now.

At this point I wonder should I start to disassemble the machine and start a general clean of every switch and relay? There is not sparks flying around like some seriously bad connections, but I can't understand how I have so many bad things going on at once.

When the 1000 point relay was locked on (and chime) on one test, I accidentally hit the 100 point relay instead and it immediately locked on, I think the chime went once (which it should, but the coil locked on as well). What a gong show!! need to go to a happy place now!

#13 8 years ago

Hi BCpinhead
Cleaning every Switch ? Some people say (AAA) "Yes, DO IT !". Others say (BBB) "NEVER do it". Others say (CCC) "It depends on". I am BBB/CCC.
A Gottlieb pin : Rather BBB. A "Newbie": Rather BBB. "Wms/Bally and some experience": CCC - Have a look at some switches - all dirty ? Tight-adjusted blades ? Very-loose-adjusted blades ? Stepper Units have signs of old grease, sticky, "no smooth stepping by hand" ? -> Rather AAA.

Several problems -> I would take ONE Problem and solve it -> THEN have a look at the next problem. you should decide and tell us - "Ball-count does not move at end of a ball" ? OR: "Game can not be started for a second player (or such)" ? OR: "Problem: Chime sticks and XXX-Points Relay sticks (or chime sticks - but not the according relay (or such) ? OR: "Problem with ..." ?

"1000 Point Bonus at start of a (new) Ball" ? I say: Yes, thats is normal on Space-Odyssey / Space-Mission. "More modern pins might have this feature.
Look here -> ipdb.org, Space Mission, Schema-page-2: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2253/Williams_1976_Space_Mission_Schematic_Diagram_paginated.pdf -> the LIST "COIL LOCATION (around Number-14)" tells us: "Bonus Unit Step-up Coil" is shown at E-14 -> look there and see the wires coming down (in the schema). A SWITCH ON THE OUTHOLE-RELAY IS INVOLVED. Conclusion: Yes, 1000 Point Bomus is given at "Start of a new Ball".

As You can play a bit - the first ball (a bit) - I suggest: First problem to be solved: "sticking Chimes / related XXX-Point-Relay.
The "Coils of the Chimes" are also shown on page-2, at E-12 / E-13.
EVERY Chime is simply operated by a "Switch on according XXX-Point-Relay". EITHER the Switch is set too tight and makes (faulty) always contact OR: The according relay does "Faulty pull and stick".
I believe the "10 Point / 100 Point / 1000 Point Relays" are in the Backbox. Unplug the Main Power-cord, take a wooden stick ( a ruler from school is fine), practice a bit: Push the end of the wooden stick onto the anchor-plate of such a relay and let go - You simulate "Coil gets current and starts to pull - looses current and let go".
Plug-in the Main-Power-cord, turn-on and start a game -> take the wooden stick and push the anchor-plate of the 1000 Point Relay and immediately afterwards let go WHAT happens ?
Turn-off / unplug the pin -> (all relays move back) -> plug-in, turn-on, start a game -> use the wooden stick on the 100 Point Relay - WHAT happens ?
Do the same with 10 Point Relay -> WHAT happens ?

Please report - and we look further, Greetings Rolf

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi BCpinhead

Several problems -> I would take ONE Problem and solve it -> THEN have a look at the next problem. you should decide and tell us

Agreed, i will try rather than shot gun approach. I have difficulty separating the issues given such strange behaviour.

"1000 Point Bonus at start of a (new) Ball" ? I say: Yes, thats is normal on Space-Odyssey / Space-Mission. "More modern pins might have this feature.

Good to know thank you for confirming the 1000 point bonus starting point.

I have a schematic and have been staring at E 12 in particular.

As You can play a bit - the first ball (a bit) - I suggest: First problem to be solved: "sticking Chimes / related XXX-Point-Relay.
The "Coils of the Chimes" are also shown on page-2, at E-12 / E-13.
EVERY Chime is simply operated by a "Switch on according XXX-Point-Relay". EITHER the Switch is set too tight and makes (faulty) always contact OR: The according relay does "Faulty pull and stick".

This. I'd love to get this exact issue sorted, the other stuff seems easy...like ball count, score motor, bonus unit etc
Sorry but could you please explain faulty pull and stick?

I believe the "10 Point / 100 Point / 1000 Point Relays" are in the Backbox. Unplug the Main Power-cord, take a wooden stick ( a ruler from school is fine), practice a bit: Push the end of the wooden stick onto the anchor-plate of such a relay and let go - You simulate "Coil gets current and starts to pull - looses current and let go".
Plug-in the Main-Power-cord, turn-on and start a game -> take the wooden stick and push the anchor-plate of the 1000 Point Relay and immediately afterwards let go WHAT happens ?
Turn-off / unplug the pin -> (all relays move back) -> plug-in, turn-on, start a game -> use the wooden stick on the 100 Point Relay - WHAT happens ?
Do the same with 10 Point Relay -> WHAT happens ?
Please report - and we look further, Greetings Rolf

Here is the deal. .. The 10, 100 and 1000 score relays move freely without any current involved. As soon as the machine is powered up and a game started, if you increment the 10 point score relay manually in the back box...no problem ,,, ding...ding....scores by 10 every time. Awesome right!?!

THEN when you try to same thing with the 100 score relay,....as soon as you even lightly touch the relay, it pulls in, sticks on, dings once on chime, chime coil sticks on and the relay is stuck on...all while it does not even score the friggen 100 points!!!! Argggggg! Does the exact same thing for the 1000 point score relay also!!! But not the 10! All good with that one.

Sorry for the long post and rant.

Thanks so much Rolf for your advice and trying to help. Greetings!
Honestly starting to think this machine is possessed. And, it sat for years as basically no one could figure it out but it looked nice in the corner of a shop all lit up ...which has resulted in severely cupped inserts, and the playfield paint is medium shape at best. Aye...aye aye.. Off to a rocky start for sure

#15 8 years ago

Hmm, sorry Rolf but 1/2 my reply in the above post is imbedded in the block quote from you.
Looking forward to any suggestions, I'm lost.

#16 8 years ago

Have you checked for a stuck playfield switch? This could also cause some of these issues.

#17 8 years ago

Hi mikala, I thought of that too, stuck on playfield switches but wouldn't they then lock on as soon as a game was started?

#18 8 years ago

Hi BCpinhead
The Space Odyssey is well worth fixing it - a fun pin ( I happen to own a Space Mission).
You can start it: GREAT - there could be many problems on "starting the game" - we do not have these problems.

The very first problem - as soon as the 100-Point-Relay starts pulling (You use the wooden stick or You close a "Playfield-Switch worth 100 Points): The Relay sticks, the 100-chime sticks and (I say: the "100 Point Score-Reel-Plunger" sticks. Am I right ? Maybe / maybe not.

Can You "take-out" the 100-Point Score-Reel ? Every Score-Reel is hooked-in and then secured. At the "bottom-side end near You": a stiff steel wire / nail comes down, straight. With a finger You can move this nail a bit to the "Lefthand-side" (keep-on moving) - You can "lift-up / turn-up" the lower end of the Reel a bit and then "unhook" the top end of the Score-Reel. NOW You can take the Reel out / away. Turn around the Reel a bit - so You can have the reel "loose / visible / secure / not making shorts / no hindering of movement of other goodies" - the reel hangs on its many wires and You can see the "Inside of the Reel".

You can do 1 (to 2) minutes of testing having a relay "faulty-constantly pulling". After 1-2 minutes: Unplug the Line-Cord and let cool off.

Do Your test again and look at the Score-Reel - does the plunger move and then stay "pulled" (the Score-Reel also sticks) ?
P-AAA (Possibility-AAA): Yes, the plunger moves and sticks.
P-BBB: No, the plunger does not move - NO sign of action (of the plunger).
P-CCC (we unfortenately do not have): The plunger moves and shortly afterwards it moves back.

Great, Your 10-Point-Score-Reel is functioning. ALSO take the 10-Point-Score-Reel out. Let a friend make 10 Points on the playfield and You watch the 10-Point-Score-Reel. Look here: http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1977-1978/index.html#/14/zoomed : the moving plunger / plastic part has a notch - the notch "at end of travel" OPENS the "Switch named SW-2M-12". The "Switch opens" does CUT the "feeding of the "Coil on 10 or 100 Point RELAY". THIS Switch must open on Your 100-Point-Score-Reel.

If You have P-AAA: Have a look at the lower end of this switch - is there a "drop of solder in between" ? Is one "blade-and-the-solder-point" bent making "always faulty contact" ? Does the moving plunger securely OPENS this Switch ?
You might have to adjust the blades ...

If You have P-BBB: Sneek-in a stripe of paper (for insulating) in between the two blades of the switch. You have this switch permanently open. NOW: Let Your friend make some 100 points on the playfield - You should see: 100 Point-Relay gets active - and then it lets go again.
(Of course: The Points are not given onto the Score-Reel).

Please report - we might have to investigate (P-BBB) on "Why does the "Coil on the 100-Point Score-Reel" does NOT get current ?".

(((Please do not write about "writing long posts" - You make me moody))) Greetings Rolf

#19 8 years ago

Try a small piece of card stock between each of the 100s score reels EOS switches. The 100 pt relay coil is powered through a number of paths but this may be the easiest to test right off. You can see below that the coil is locked in via a switch on that 100 point relay when the relay pulls in. Then when one of the normally closed EOS switches opens, that path is broken. If you manually activate the relay, the coil should not lock on because you should have no path to ground through the EOS switches UNLESS it's one of the other paths in this section of the schematic. You could even consider doing this with the playfield disconnected.

Disclaimer: This schematic was from the 4 player version, so yours will not be exactly the same, but the methodology is likely similar.

SchematicSO.PNGSchematicSO.PNG

#20 8 years ago

Well, it looks as though I'm going backwards and the machine has decided to put up an extra fight. The machine will now not complete a new game start up sequence. It will add and decrease credit, switch from game over to ball 1 in lower left display along w player 1 score window lit, but will not reset the score reels and the score motor just spins.

Before this started though, I did learn one thing trying some of your advice above (thank you). On a fresh new game reset, I incremented the 10 score relay up to 90, then at 100 the 100 score relay activated, 100 pt chime goes ding once, chime coil and score relay are locked on....AND the 100 point score reel plunger did not move at all!! When I manually activated the 100 score reel plunger to score a 1, the eos switch worked, and broke the current to the buzzing locked on coils...they released.

#21 8 years ago

Hi BCpinhead
the "Original problem, 100-Point-Relay sticks" - You've located the cause: The 100-Point-Relay does pull and closes the switch for to let current flow to the "Coil on the 100-Point Score-Reel" - BUT the current does not get there -> ipdb.org-schema Space Mission -> page-2, around "Number-10 / -11": A "Switch on 100-Point-RELAY closes -> through the "Player Unit" -> the Score-Reel gets current.
Well, Your pin is a 2-Player pin and (very likeky) does NOT have a Player Unit - a Relay is used, it pulls or does not pull: Player-2 / Player-1 (maybe: Player-1 / Player-2).
So lets look for a 2-Player schema of that time -> http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=EM&mfgid=413&yr=1970-79&pl=2&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced -> Swinger-1972, Liberty-Bell-April-1977, Lucky-Seven-July-1977. I would choose "Liberty Bell" schema for looking "original Problem" (((or maybe "Swinger"))).

Unfortunately, You now have a "Starting problem" - I would look in "Schema Space Mission" - The pin does not reset and the Score-Motor runs forever.
Do You remember what You have done "just before the Start-Problem arises" ? Would be a help.

The schema shows (page-1, E-4) the Score-Motor, downwards runs a wire -> I see a "Switch on 25 Cent Relay (endlessly faulty-pulling ? Switch-Blades bent and " there is faulty contact (even when the relay is not pulling) ?). A wire runs down further -> many Switches can keep the Motor (faulty) turning.
"Make and Brake Switch on Reset Relay (endlessly faulty-pulling ? Switch-Blades bent ?)", "... on Outhole-Relay ( ?, ?)"
"Normally-Open Switch on Coin-Relay (?, ?)", "... on 10 Cent Relay (?, ?) - actually ALL the (Relays), Switches shown (?, ?)

Did You work on the "Make and Brake Self Hold-Switch SCM-IND-E" ?

Write about the mentioned Relays / Switches / Things I have done before the problem". Greetings Rolf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-w-de-bugging-space-odyssey-multiple-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.