Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ravve
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have an Earthshaker with no working display. Being unsure if it is the display itself or something else, I performed some measurements and discovered two things I need help with:

1. Connector J2 on the Power Supply board powers the display and should have +5V, +100V and -100V DC.
I get +4.91V, +99V, -128V DC when display is disconnected. However, when display is connected, the +99V changes to +32V! The other values stay unchanged. Also not sure if -128V is out of accepted range.

2. On the CPU board, display connected, connectors 1J1 and 1J3 (goes to display) has most of their pins measured 4.9V. However, there are a few pins that measures 0.3V on 1J1 and 1.15V, 3.36V and 1.91V on 1J3. Not sure if this is right?

Any ideas where to go from here? Why do the +100V drop when display is connected? And why do some pins measure diffrently than the others on 1J1 / 1J3? It would be GREAT if someone who has an Earthshaker could perform same measurements.

I have measured lots of stuff on the CPU board and Power supply, everything else seems fine. Even changed the ribbon cable that goes to the display (not the one that goes to audio board).

I THINK that game is playing fine, only display is not working. Lost the free-play settings, so I can´t verify the games functionality as it is right now. Need to fix display first!

#2 3 years ago

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Display_problems

according to the troubleshooting table -128 means the transistor is shorted

#3 3 years ago

Thanks! Located two transistors Q1 and Q3 that do have continuty between two of their legs, suppose there are shorted, right?

Well that should hopefuly fix the -128V issue.

How about the +99V dropping to +32V when the display is connected, will that issue be fixed as well or is it the display board that is causing this?

#4 3 years ago

No Idea there.... I just follow what the wiki says in this case.

I'd think that if one of the voltages were way out it might pull the other one down, though, the display itself doesn't actually need negative and positive voltage - it needs the difference between them. So it's looking for 200 volts. Other manufacturers actually built 200v power supplies to solve this issue, (the ground is the same all over the machine in this case). It's apparently easier/cheaper? to build a + and - power supply instead - the display panel itself's "ground" is the - supply.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks, will start with the Q1 and Q3 replacement on the power supply, but I doubt they will fix the +100V drop. Worth a try...

Could it be the caps on the power supply that causes +100V drop perhaps? Maybe I should replace all the caps? Hm...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-voltage-drop-when-display-connected-on-system-11b?hl=ravve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.