(Topic ID: 261290)

Help us pick a 2nd pin.

By Nugilo92

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

We currently have an Addams a Family and want to add a second pin. We want a pin that is family friendly, fun, easy to play casually, universal theme. Our sons are 2 and 4 and the 4yo is already better on TAF than I would have thought at this age. We have been playing a bunch of games lately to try to narrow down our choices. Price isn’t a huge factor. Pin qualities in order of most important first.

Approachability/ease of play/fun
    Family friendly
    Long term playability
    Playfield toys
    Fun art and playfield design
    Flow
    Variety of shots
    Depth of game play

We have it narrowed down to the following games in no particular order (although my wife in lobbying for Wizard of Oz):

The Wizard of Oz
    Stern Star Trek
    Deadpool (I know- not really family friendly)
    Twilight Zone
    Midievil Madness
    Willy Wonka
    Stern Jurassic Park
    Spiderman
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Guardians of the Galaxy

Your thoughts may be helpful. Thanks.

#2 4 years ago

Willy Wonka, for no better reason than it may appeal to younger children better than some of the other games.

#3 4 years ago

Mideival madness

#4 4 years ago

Jurassic Park, if you can get a prenium it's pretty cool! Lots of toys, (T-REX eating the ball) etc..
    Easy for kids, The first multiball is pretty easy, new update looks really cool!
    For me, it would be the only game that ticks every aspect you asked for.

+ Kids loves dinos no?

#5 4 years ago

woz or jp or Spiderman are all great games and good family fun.

#6 4 years ago

IMO : Star Trek, JJP POTC or JP

#7 4 years ago

My 4yo grandson loves Spider-Man

#8 4 years ago

Fishtales, Whitewater, No good gophers, come to mind but from your list Jurassic, Guardians or Spiderman Vault

#9 4 years ago

Medieval Madness or GOTG.

MM is an all time classic, very family friendly, easy to play and appeals to all ages.

GOTG is a fantastic all rounder.

#10 4 years ago

Wow, as expected with threads like this, the recommendations are all over the chart!

#11 4 years ago

1. JP dinosaurs and best Stern ever.
    2. MM all around good fun, great mech

Impotant IMO is to get a game that feels as different as your AF as possible as small collections need variety (so TZ not recommended for you).

#12 4 years ago

If you want family fun , easy to understand with long-term enjoyment I would recommend Fish Tails or Attack From Mars . If you want a deep game and like working on machines I would buy a jjp game .

#13 4 years ago

Buy anyone of the above, or all, ship them to my house and i will report back.

#14 4 years ago

I have a JJP Wonka and Pirates and my 5 year old boy gravitates to Pirates 9 times out of 10. He absolutely loves it and has never seen the movies. He has seen the Wonka movie and likes it but PoTC always wins when it comes to our pins even though the CE theme is a bit ‘darker’.

That said our 2.5 year old boy loves how colorful the wonka CE is. Either would be a great choice.

My third choice would be JP. Kids love dinosaurs and it’s a great shooter.

#15 4 years ago

Get a Premium Jurassic Park.

#16 4 years ago

Whitewater is a great choice. Lots of great ramps, and very different gameplay than TAF.
    Monster Bash would work well too.

#17 4 years ago

JJP POTC.

Great sound, good ball times, easy to understand what to shoot for, rocking ship with a canon, PLUNDERING!, tons of shots.
    Every time I turn that game on, I think "WOW".

#18 4 years ago

Woz or Wonka would be a good choice imo.

#19 4 years ago

Out of that list, JP premium is the best. I have owned most if not all of them and I have 4 kids. Their favorite game I have ever owned was No good gofers and spiderman but my youngest son plays JP constantly now. It is not the easiest game but is probably the best game ever and code is getting ridiculously good.

#20 4 years ago

I have a three year old and he cries everytime we shut off JP. Could care less on any other pin but he adores that game. During family parties it’s also the one pin that most people who aren’t into pins go to

#21 4 years ago

I would go with WOZ or JP.

#22 4 years ago

Any of the games on your list would be a great fit. Our kids are not old enough to play pinball, but or nieces and nephews are all drawn to Star Trek. Most likely because of the lighting and the speed. I think Woz is pretty obvious choice as well. I prefer Wonka over Woz, personally. I might add Lord of the Rings to your list because of its depth.

#23 4 years ago

Just to add a few not on your list.. Lord of the rings and Simpsons Pinball Party should be right up there if you want something that has deep ruleset, family friendly, and long term playability. I've owned TSPP for 5 or so years and still find it challenging. Honestly its pinball so no matter what you choose it will be fun. GL!

#24 4 years ago

I second TSPP, In a home environment with kids it’s quite an experience. Jjps next next (Toy Story) would be the ringer.

Quoted from fisherdaman:

Just to add a few not on your list.. Lord of the rings and Simpsons Pinball Party should be right up there if you want something that has deep ruleset, family friendly, and long term playability. I've owned TSPP for 5 or so years and still find it challenging. Honestly its pinball so no matter what you choose it will be fun. GL!

#25 4 years ago

If the idea is getting the kids more interested or machines they would really like, I would go with something from JJP or some other post DMD modern pinball machine with video integration.
    WOZ and Hobbit really bridged the gap with our kids to where they will pretty much play anything now.
    Our experience is that pins like those with all the visual stimulation keeps their attention longer (at least at the young age).

#26 4 years ago

If money is no object, I’d get a newer machine and go one of 3 ways.
    1. Stern Jurassic Park Premium. The Dinosaur Eats the Ball! The theme is really kid friendly and it is deep enough to keep you busy and happy for a long ime.
    2. Attack From Mars Remake SE. Assuming your kids are not afraid of the art, it is a deceptively deep yet simple game with lots to do that’s hard to master. Beginners can continuously hammer away at the 3 bank and destroying the space ship is satisfying.
    3. Wizard of Oz. Packed to the gills with toys and very kid friendly. You’ll never get to the end.

#27 4 years ago

Does Midievil Madness have a different digital sound package? Kind of like some nostalgic 8-bit NES melodies. I would love that!

In all seriousness, I would play all the games and see what you like best. All the titles you listed have things people love and hate. The remakes are nice because they are classic games that stood the test of time and you can buy new or used for a good price. I would go that route personally. MM AFM MB in that order.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nugilo92:

We currently have an Addams a Family and want to add a second pin. We want a pin that is family friendly, fun, easy to play casually, universal theme. Our sons are 2 and 4 and the 4yo is already better on TAF than I would have thought at this age. We have been playing a bunch of games lately to try to narrow down our choices. Price isn’t a huge factor. Pin qualities in order of most important first.
    Approachability/ease of play/fun
    Family friendly
    Long term playability
    Playfield toys
    Fun art and playfield design
    Flow
    Variety of shots
    Depth of game play
    We have it narrowed down to the following games in no particular order (although my wife in lobbying for Wizard of Oz):
    The Wizard of Oz
    Stern Star Trek
    Deadpool (I know- not really family friendly)
    Twilight Zone
    Midievil Madness
    Willy Wonka
    Stern Jurassic Park
    Spiderman
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Your thoughts may be helpful. Thanks.

Those are all great options.

I would recommend wizard of oz or Jurassic park. Both are newer...so there should be minimal maintenance. Both have tons of toys and are great players with lots of flow and depth. They would both appeal to a family as well.

I own a WOZ, and my 3 young children absolutely love it.

#29 4 years ago

JP Premium or MM remake.

#30 4 years ago

I would give Dialed in a good look as well. Great family game.

#31 4 years ago

You should do a poll.

#32 4 years ago

Willy Wonka

#33 4 years ago

Monster Bash is a hit where I play among a sea of sterns.

#34 4 years ago

WOZ is a fantastic but very tough if not unfair game sometimes. It drains a lot, the multiball is not that easy to get but the animation, light, sound and life under the glass is top notch

Medieval Madness is a simple fast and instantly rewarding game. I still love blowing the castle even after thousands of games it’s simply the best toy ever built in pinball.

For the kids I would go for an MM, for the family with a learning curve to get WOZ is definitely a long term keeper. Plus let’s face it, it’s the most beautiful pinball ever built.

#35 4 years ago

Does Medieval Madness have a setting to remove the innuendo callouts? I remember seeing something about Family Mode, but I don't know if that's just the digital version in Pinball FX3.

Something to consider depending on the family.

#36 4 years ago

YTZ

#37 4 years ago

My daughter's (who is 10) favorite game is Champion's Pub. Although it isn't a great game for a small collection.

We own many of the games that you mentioned. We had a WOZ, but sold it since I thought my daughter would like it (she didn't).

I think Medieval Madness is probably the best all-around family game. Although you may want to put it in family mode. Spiderman is also a pretty good choice... it is relatively straight forward. We love our JP, but it is a bit complicated for kids. TZ a great game... but also tough for kids to learn.

Honestly, you can' go wrong with MM. It is top-notch... super fun for everyone... and mostly holds its value.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from MOSFET:

Does Medieval Madness have a setting to remove the innuendo callouts? I remember seeing something about Family Mode, but I don't know if that's just the digital version in Pinball FX3.
    Something to consider depending on the family.

Yes, there is... it is in (I believe) the adjustments menu.

#39 4 years ago

You can't go wrong with SM or MM, and I think the kids would like the SM better. However, I would go with MB over either for a family with young kids as they will know who the character are. SS in family mode would make for an interesting choice.

Having said that, I vote for Rick and Morty.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-us-pick-a-2nd-pin?hl=zwovr6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.