Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pindude80
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Recently my TZ developed a problem. I have only noticed it so far in multiball. I first noticed that when a ball would drain that it would just sit in the trough and the outhole kicker wouldn't kick it over into the trough. I though it might be the outhole switch, but it tested fine in test mode and I even bent the arm up slightly. I then noticed when it won't end the ball and a ball is sitting in the outhole that the coil that kicks the ball up into the shooter lane keeps firing even though there is no ball there.

Here's what I've checked so far and everything has checked out fine:
1.) two ball lock optos
2.) one ball lock switch
3.) all trough switches, including far left switch
4.) outhole switch
5.) outhole kicker
6.) confirmed the game has 6 balls- five steel, one ceramic

Can anyone tell me what to look at next, I'm at a loss.

#2 7 years ago

My TZ has done strange (seemingly random) things when a switch goes bad. If you take all the balls out of the machine does it look as expected (optos closed and micro switches open)? If so, I'd check each switch individually and make sure you only get a single closure for each. Probably a glitch in the matrix.

#3 7 years ago

This sounds indicative of a bad opto board. Had this exact same behavior with my BSD when I was swapping what I thought was a perfect working board. Ball sat in outlane, didn't get kicked over, shooter lane plunger kept firing looking for a ball.

Looks like TZ has a nearly identical board as BSD - a 10 opto switch board.

Sold out here, but at least you can get a look at it:

https://ksarcade.net/new-replacement-10-opto-switch-board-osb-10b.html

If you can determine that this is in fact the problem, you have a couple techs here that you could send it to for a small fee and get it on its feet again.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Recently my TZ developed a problem. I have only noticed it so far in multiball. I first noticed that when a ball would drain that it would just sit in the trough and the outhole kicker wouldn't kick it over into the trough. I though it might be the outhole switch, but it tested fine in test mode and I even bent the arm up slightly. I then noticed when it won't end the ball and a ball is sitting in the outhole that the coil that kicks the ball up into the shooter lane keeps firing even though there is no ball there.
Here's what I've checked so far and everything has checked out fine:
1.) two ball lock optos
2.) one ball lock switch
3.) all trough switches, including far left switch
4.) outhole switch
5.) outhole kicker
6.) confirmed the game has 6 balls- five steel, one ceramic
Can anyone tell me what to look at next, I'm at a loss.

Did you test the switch with a ball, or your finger?

Does the outhole coil fire in test mode as well?

#5 7 years ago

I had an issue with my Fish Tales where the trough switch would test fine in switch test, but in the game the ball would sit in the out hole and not kick to the trough. Replacing the switch fixed my issue. I realize that FT isn't TZ, but figured I'd pass along the info.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from fitzpatricksrus:

My TZ has done strange (seemingly random) things when a switch goes bad. If you take all the balls out of the machine does it look as expected (optos closed and micro switches open)? If so, I'd check each switch individually and make sure you only get a single closure for each. Probably a glitch in the matrix.

I took all the balls out and tested the trough and ball lock switches/optos and all looked good, but I will check all the other switches also.

#7 7 years ago

You can try putting the game into the Gumball Test mode, and putting it on 'Continuous'. That pretty much tests all the trough switches as well, and gives a nice display of them so you can look for anything abnormal.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

This sounds indicative of a bad opto board. Had this exact same behavior with my BSD when I was swapping what I thought was a perfect working board. Ball sat in outlane, didn't get kicked over, shooter lane plunger kept firing looking for a ball.
Looks like TZ has a nearly identical board as BSD - a 10 opto switch board.
Sold out here, but at least you can get a look at it:
https://ksarcade.net/new-replacement-10-opto-switch-board-osb-10b.html
If you can determine that this is in fact the problem, you have a couple techs here that you could send it to for a small fee and get it on its feet again.

Thanks for the insight! I will probably try and re-seat the connectors on it tonight and see if that does anything. It doesn't look like that board is available; I checked GLM's site so maybe I can send it out for repair if need be.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Did you test the switch with a ball, or your finger?
Does the outhole coil fire in test mode as well?

I tested the outhole switch with both ball and finger, works fine with either. I'm not sure if I checked the outhole kicker in test mode, but I can do that.

#10 7 years ago

Last night I tested all of the switches and optos that I could get to from the topside of the PF, everything seemed ok except for the left coin switch read closed, which is weird because there aren't any wires going to that switch on my game. I then reset all the connectors on the opto board and it fixed my problem, at least for now. I tested it in 2 and 3 ball multiball several times and it never missed a beat. I'm guessing the opto board developed a cold solder joint somewhere or a possible bad connector.

I really appreciate those that pointed me to the opto board, don't know how long it would take me to have figured it out without everyone's knowledge and experience.

Thanks!

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Last night I tested all of the switches and optos that I could get to from the topside of the PF, everything seemed ok except for the left coin switch read closed, which is weird because there aren't any wires going to that switch on my game. I then reset all the connectors on the opto board and it fixed my problem, at least for now. I tested it in 2 and 3 ball multiball several times and it never missed a beat. I'm guessing the opto board developed a cold solder joint somewhere or a possible bad connector.
I really appreciate those that pointed me to the opto board, don't know how long it would take me to have figured it out without everyone's knowledge and experience.
Thanks!

Boom!

So, if it starts doing this again, take the board out and light tin each solder joint. That will reheat each joint as well as all a tiny bit of new solder to the joint.

Now you also know if it acts up, you can send the board to Rob Anthony, Chris Hibler, John Wart, or another knowledgeable technician.

This is what the hobby is about.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Boom!
So, if it starts doing this again, take the board out and light tin each solder joint. That will reheat each joint as well as all a tiny bit of new solder to the joint.
Now you also know if it acts up, you can send the board to Rob Anthony, Chris Hibler, John Wart, or another knowledgeable technician.
This is what the hobby is about.

Was thinking about just going ahead and reflowing the solder to prevent any future issues.

The help is much appreciated, hopefully I'll see you at Scott's in a couple weeks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 132.00
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-twilight-zone-multiball-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.