Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by dvandentop
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

got it mostly apart but still seems to be stuck on, the 2 nuts off the bottom were taken off but it seems like the light socket or something is keeping it stuck on so i cannot pull the assembly up.

thanks got to do all 3 on my FT as they are pretty wore down, in the middle of LED swap right now

#2 12 years ago

So are you asking if you have to cut out the old lamp sockets to replace the pop bumper?
The answer is yes. PITA isn't it.

#3 12 years ago

You'll have to clip the light sockets out or pull the staples and desolder them from the bottom in order to get the pops completely apart. I would recommend clipping them out and replacing them with new ones, that way you can just solder the new leads onto the old leads. It's a real pain frankly and on FT, probably complicated a bit by the pops being all the way at the bottom of the playfield.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from jay:

I would recommend clipping them out and replacing them with new ones, that way you can just solder the new leads onto the old leads.

+1 just cut them and put in new. even if you don't have them on hand, don't try to save them.

while your taking them apart make sure to inspect your rings and bodies and replace what is even the slightest bit questionable. Better to do it once while you have them apart now, but the parts are cheap. I know it sucks to be down another few days waiting for parts but such is life.

typically, I don't even mess around and rebuild the entire assembly with new bodies, bases, ring and rods, springs and coils with new coil stops. pinball life has everything you need in stock. I'm just a little obsessive about these things though.

#5 12 years ago

yeah after i posted i noticed that the wires are stapled down, so screw it i am continuing on my led install will deal with that later on.

how much usually are the whole assemblys?

#6 12 years ago

The parts for pop bumpers are quite inexpensive...
I have not decided yet which I hate more, rebuilding pop bumpers or drop targets...they both suck!
But on the flip side when you are done the final product sure does look nice.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

I have not decided yet which I hate more, rebuilding pop bumpers or drop targets...they both suck!

I think the drop targets are easy, do not like pop bumpers. Replaced a drop target on LW3 last night.

#8 12 years ago

you can get a complete assembly for 40 bucks from pinball life. that includes everything though... brackets and such. just replacing the sockets, bodies, bases, springs, coil stops, ring and rods is a lot cheaper.

here is the link to the entire replacement assembly (cross check part numbers with your manual)

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1513&parent=0

here is a link to a typical Williams/Bally pop bumper body (cross check part numbers with your manual)

Rod and ring

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=351&parent=0

body

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=330&parent=0

base

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=331&parent=0

sockets

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1513&parent=0

if replacing the coils they should come with the coil sleeve. if your coils are good just replace the sleeves as long as you have them apart, and they are cheap. check your user manaul for the part number pinball life should have them in stock.

#9 12 years ago

thanks alot for the help.

well i got it all back together did not mess with middle bumper at all after i aborted the replacement of the skirts for now.

anyways for some reason the middle jet bumper will not pop in game play but works good in the test menu??? looked and all wiring looks good

Post edited by dvandentop :

#10 12 years ago

Check the position of the skirt finger and the spoon. Should sit right in the middle of the spoon. Test from all sides. It can be a PITA to get it just right.

#11 12 years ago

Anyone know a source for pin2k pop bumper assemblies? One of mine in my RFM is very shot on an otherwise very clean game (skirt is cracked and underside spoon assembly barely registers after lots of tweaking).

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

Drop targets just plain suck. It took me forever to get motivated on my Flash Gordon because of all those targets. I personally dont mind the pops.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Check the position of the skirt finger and the spoon. Should sit right in the middle of the spoon. Test from all sides. It can be a PITA to get it just right.

checked that and it looked good that was @ 2am though after getting done with led's, will mess with it more tonight any other suggestions if that doesnt work? I didnt even mess with this one and since we know it test good in diag's we know power to it is ok.

#14 12 years ago

Check the switch on the pop bumper, it needs to be gapped properly.

I need to changed my fishtales skirts too, but it sucks, so I've put it off, then put it off again hahahah..

#15 12 years ago

LOL just got home for the day will let you guys know later tonight, how the shit works!

#16 12 years ago

screwed with it for a bit and seemed to be working then quit mid game can tell this is gonna be a fun one

#17 12 years ago

finally got it to work, seems as if the 2 copper prongs were touching all the time so had to bend em up a lil.

got a nice shock as well while testing lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 169.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

12,500 (OBO)
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-trying-to-replace-pop-bumper-skirts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.