(Topic ID: 216107)

Help troubleshooting WPC DMD Controller power/display issue

By FlippinBallsEric

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I recently moved my Dirty Harry machine and when I set it up, the DMD was out. When I turn it on, I get a quick flash of a few pixels, then nothing. Everything else is powered and working - the game plays, just no display. I have checked every cable and connection inside the backbox and the playfield. Everything seems to be tight and properly seated. I did notice that the LED on the wpc controller is not lit however, so I tested the gray wire on J606 on the controller - I'm only getting about 2 volts to that board. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can test next - considering I dont have another controller board to swap out.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippinBallsEric:

I recently moved my Dirty Harry machine and when I set it up, the DMD was out. When I turn it on, I get a quick flash of a few pixels, then nothing. Everything else is powered and working - the game plays, just no display. I have checked every cable and connection inside the backbox and the playfield. Everything seems to be tight and properly seated. I did notice that the LED on the wpc controller is not lit however, so I tested the gray wire on J606 on the controller - I'm only getting about 2 volts to that board. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can test next - considering I dont have another controller board to swap out.

i assume you reaseted all the ribbon cables and checked fuses,go ahead and try swapping the controller board and see if anything changes.post back your results

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippinBallsEric:

I did notice that the LED on the wpc controller is not lit however, so I tested the gray wire on J606 on the controller - I'm only getting about 2 volts to that board.

The original poster already indicated the issue. I am assuming that is the 5v logic power feeding the DMD controller. Trace the wire back and reseat any connectors it ties in to. Does everything else work in the game? As in does it boot and does the sound work? Your high voltage is good or you would not see the dots flash.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The original poster already indicated the issue. I am assuming that is the 5v logic power feeding the DMD controller. Trace the wire back and reseat any connectors it ties in to. Does everything else work in the game? As in does it boot and does the sound work? Your high voltage is good or you would not see the dots flash.

ok,i just wanted to rule out the ribbon cables then we can start testing volts and see what measurements he gets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-troubleshooting-wpc-dmd-controller-powerdisplay-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.