(Topic ID: 320389)

Help! Toy Story 4 will not boot up. Motherboard SATA cable?

By MurphyPeoples

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TS4 Message (resized).jpeg
TS4 Power (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

My TS4 had no sound coming from the left speaker from day 1. On 8/9/22, it would not boot up at all, and had an "F1 Default" message on the LED.
This morning I cut it on to check again, and got no power at all. Everything dark like it had no power at all. Checked power to the Pin and it was good. (I keep all my pins on a line conditioner/power surge protector).

This morning I saw a reply from JJP regarding the pin not booting up. It said:
"With the game off, reseat both ends of the SATA cable (at the motherboard end, move it to a different port - at the hard drive end, unplug and replug the SATA cable)."

I checked the TS4 Manual and searched for "Motherboard" to figure out which PCB card was the motherboard. It does not have that info. Could someone let me know which is the motherboard, and what it means about moving the SATA connections? Thank you!
Murphy

#2 1 year ago

I checked the fuse, and it was good. I also checked the switch box outlet for power - it was good too. See pic.
Yet game acts like it is getting no power at all.

TS4 Power (resized).jpegTS4 Power (resized).jpeg
#3 1 year ago

Here's the message I was getting when it wouldn't boot all the way up, and just before I had no power at all.

TS4 Message (resized).jpegTS4 Message (resized).jpeg
#4 1 year ago

You might need to jump it with a screwdriver or a paper clip , I had to do this on my wonka. Or try plugging in a key board first and press F1 to see what it does.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

You might need to jump it with a screwdriver or a paper clip , I had to do this on my wonka. Or try plugging in a key board first and press F1 to see what it does.

There should seriously be no need for anyone with such a new machine to have to do anything of the sort!!

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from guard:

There should seriously be no need for anyone with such a new machine to have to do anything of the sort!!

I agree - this is EXACTLY what happens when you 'cheap out' and use a standard, $100 PC motherboard to run your $10K game rather than developing the CORRECT electronics for this commercial application as Stern does and as Bally and Williams did.

For those who disagree with me, please ponder these questions:

(1) How long does it take for your PC motherboard pinball machine to boot? More than 15 seconds I will bet!

(2) What happens when your PC motherboard in your $10K pinball machine is 10 years old and dies (that's just what they do)? You have an expensive paperweight because that original PC motherboard will be LONG obsolete rendering your game worthless!

(3) Why are so many having BIOS screens appear when they just want to play pinball? (answer - because that's just what PCs do, they are NOT reliable nor designed for commercial applications).

#7 1 year ago

There’s a lot of coin op equipment that runs on standard PC hardware. Hell my Big Buck Hunter has a full on Dell PC inside, case and all.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

There’s a lot of coin op equipment that runs on standard PC hardware. Hell my Big Buck Hunter has a full on Dell PC inside, case and all.

How many PCs are in your home that are older than 10 years? Not many people have them this long because they either die or are obsolete.

EXACTLY the same situation applies when you use this type of 'throwaway' electronics in a machine you hope will last many decades, it just won't.

Your BBH was never designed to last more than 10 years - it is a throwaway arcade machine like most of the video arcade machines.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from pins4u:

How many PCs are in your home that are older than 10 years? Not many people have them this long because they either die or are obsolete.
EXACTLY the same situation applies when you use this type of 'throwaway' electronics in a machine you hope will last many decades, it just won't.
Your BBH was never designed to last more than 10 years - it is a throwaway arcade machine like most of the video arcade machines.

In addition to the PC in my Big Buck Safari (released in 2007, making it 15 years old) that is still functioning properly, I have a PC from the mid 90s in my house that I use for video game hobby stuff. I also have a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 3 from 1980 in a box in my closet upstairs that I'm sure would work if I dug it out and plugged it in.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

checked the TS4 Manual and searched for "Motherboard" to figure out which PCB card was the motherboard. It does not have that info.

Look on page 78, item 16.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Linthicum Heights, MD
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 16.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New Orleans, LA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-toy-story-4-will-not-boot-up-motherboard-sata-cable?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.