• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimeBandit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have two AC/DC pros.

On one of them the cannon motor doesn't work. Neither during a game nor in test.

If I switch the CPU boards the problem follows the CPU board to the other machine.

Everything else on both machines is fine.

There is something on the CPU board that is affecting ONLY the motor.

What is it?? I have poured over the schematics for hours and can't get there. I've tried to get the scope onto the main CPU pins but I'm not 100% sure I have the right pin anyway, and it's all getting a bit tedious.

I'm sure someone smarter than me has a good idea.

Anyone want to chime in?

#3 5 years ago

I thought maybe that initially but I have discounted it a couple of different ways. Switches are definitely not involved.

My last test had only the plugs connected on the entire board set that are required for the motor to operate in test mode. No switches connected except the coin door switches, and no lamps. One CPU board worked. One didn’t.

I think it goes all the way back to the CPU, but I want to confirm that theory of operation says there is one pin there just to drive the motor.

#5 5 years ago

I probably should give a bit more info on what I have tested so far..

I have had the scope all the way back to U5 looking for a drive signal and I’m not getting one. So no, no signal at Q32. Everything else on the same chip is fine. I actually replaced U5 just to be sure.

My strategy at the moment is to just follow the signal path back until I hit the CPU. And that’s sort of what I want to confirm is the right thing to do.

I even connected the bad cannon across to the good machine, and it worked fine in test. So there is nothing wrong with the motor, or the power.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The circuit that drives the motor is CPU bus -> power driver board -> HCT273 latch -> Q32 transistor. There is not a single pin on the CPU board that could fail that would only affect the canon motor.

Thanks Herg, that’s exactly what I was afraid of.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
We had a similar issue on a Stern driver board. With outstanding help from Chas at Stern and Ken from Lake Macquarie, we isolated the issue to that chip (1st photo). That particular chip is on both the driver and CPU boards. I cannot let go of stuff unless I work out what caused the issue. Our machine had a shaker motor fitted without the in line filter (pic 2). Electrical noise from the shaker motor stuffed that microprocessor and one circuit was locked on. It took a long time to do it but I feel this was the culprit. Before you do anything, change over the chip (pic 3) and reset the entire machine to see if you still have the same issue. Check the tracks and continuity of all connections for this circuit. I am assuming you had already checked all other circuits that are associated with that faulty one. I am also assuming, that you have isolated that there is no signal from the CPU board and the issue is not with the driver board (you swapped out the driver boards first).
I cannot find anyone is Australia with a test bench to test and repair this board. If you find one, please let me know. We have a few boards that we would like to be repaired. People keep posting how good SAM is and how bulletproof it is, well I think maybe not so, especially if the machine has mods. It worked out more economical for us to buy a new board than send our old board to Ks arcade (USA) for repair. Honestly the most economical and fastest place to buy the board is from Pinball Life, you will have it in less than 2 weeks. We bought ours from AMD to keep a good relationship going with them as they have always looked after us.
Good Luck!

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

First thing..I can probably repair your boards for you. I have all that stuff covered. PM me with more details if you like.

Second thing is ...... SOLVED.

I'm not really embarrassed by how easy the fix was, as I believe I have been pranked, haha. But still, I should have checked this but sometimes you just don't go to the easiest thing first for some strange mental block thing. Can you see where I'm going with this?....Yes, the cannon was disabled in the menus.

Sorry to create a useless thread, but maybe just the age old warning reiterated. Start with the easiest stuff first, lol.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimeBandit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-totally-stumped-ac-dc-cannon-motor?tu=TimeBandit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.