(Topic ID: 74071)

Help! - Tips For Outlets for Pins -Wattage/Amps

By pinnyheadhead

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I am finishing out an unfinished side of my basement next month and was wondering if anyone has tips and/or advice on setting up the electical outlets and fuse box for more pins? Would like to have an idea of what is necessary before the electician comes.
    Please, let me know what you have done electrically to your homes to accomadate your disease of collecting more and more pins.
    Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone. I entered a entertaining, fun hobby this year and have learned alot from all of you. It is a fun ride.

#2 10 years ago

Good quick rule of thumb is 5 amps per pin. So 20 amps per. This will leave you a little bit of flexibility. Have a 4 plug wall box put in every 10 feet or so.

#3 10 years ago

I have had 13 (modern DMD) pins running (on) using the same 20-amp circuit with 6-8 being played at once. I can't believe I didn't trip something, but there it is. Always better to fork out pennies now for more headroom than dollars later once walls are up, but unless you have dozens of machines being played all at once I can't see dedicating more than 1-2 max 20-amp circuits to the pins for normal home use. Not sure if Gex meant 5 amps per pin/20 amps per in that each breakout box would have its own circuit, but if so in my experience that's way more than you actually need.... If running conduit this would mean larger EMT and more wire upstream to handle all the dedicated conductors to each box. And if your local code requires AFCI breakers that means no common neutrals (more wire) and costly breakers, which also adds up.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from devlman:

I have had 13 (modern DMD) pins running (on) using the same 20-amp circuit with 6-8 being played at once. I can't believe I didn't trip something, but there it is. Always better to fork out pennies now for more headroom than dollars later once walls are up, but unless you have dozens of machines being played all at once I can't see dedicating more than 1-2 max 20-amp circuits to the pins for normal home use. Not sure if Gex meant 5 amps per pin/20 amps per in that each breakout box would have its own circuit, but if so in my experience that's way more than you actually need.... If running conduit this would mean larger EMT and more wire upstream to handle all the dedicated conductors to each box. And if your local code requires AFCI breakers that means no common neutrals (more wire) and costly breakers, which also adds up.

Yep thats what I ment, It give you the ability to grow and have flexibility but I'm guessing newer games such as WOZ require more power as well. When I design a game room for customers, this is how I do it. 4 games per 20 amps. unless there is an Airhockey table then I count that as 2 games (10amps)

#5 10 years ago

Good info. Thanks

#6 10 years ago

Ya if it is unfinished run a couple outlets for each breaker! Make it robust now, you'll thank yourself later

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Ya if it is unfinished run a couple outlets for each breaker! Make it robust now, you'll thank yourself later

Got it. Saving $100 now could mean spending hundreds more later.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-tips-for-outlets-for-pins-wattageamps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.