socket1_(resized).jpg
knocker_(resized).jpg
b2_(resized).jpg
b1_(resized).jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 8 years ago

Ok - HELP! I shorted out something in my lamp matrix, fooling around with a loose socket and light bulb for Marilyn, of course, the game was on and the socket touched some other metal and that's all it took to screw something up.

It looks like the whole column 4 in the lamp matrix is screwed up all the characters plus a few others. When I turn off the machine, Drac and Gorbie, along with the Ride Again light stay lit and then slowly fade out. I also noticed that the Santa light lights up at the start of the game and just stays on. It looks like those character lights are not blinking the way they should in attract mode.

I am stooopid with the electronics end. How do I find what is fried? Could it be the diodes that are attached to the lamp sockets?

I'm hoping there is no damage to the board - it looks like 1J6 controls this column.

I have a meter but don't know how to use it. Maybe someone can help walk me through this. I'm soooo bummed, I refurbished this Taxi and now caused a problem - I need to fix this before holidays and friends/family visit.

Thanks for your help ahead of time.........

-Urgh, Nate-

#2 8 years ago

First with the power off repair the light socket. The will need work, are you up for it?

#3 8 years ago

I'm up for it - I think!!! Light socket is "fixed" although I think it'll need to be replaced, I think the BULB in the damn thing was acting up as well (LED of course, when will I learn just to stick with regulars?).

Oh, I will also mention that if anyone lives near me (Baltimore - county), I'd be happy to pay to have someone troubleshoot/fix for me.

-Nate

#4 8 years ago

This is a great explanation of troubleshooting the lamp matrix:

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index2.htm#lamp

#5 8 years ago

Thanks boscokid, I'll take a look. Offer is still good for someone to come to my place and fix it................

#6 8 years ago

Well, from reading about the lamp matrix, it looks like I have some burned out TIP transistors. Anyone in Baltimore County good at board soldering?? That's something I haven't done yet............I say I have bad transistors because the same row is turned on constantly, and very bright - so they are obviously betting the entire voltage and not being switched on/off so that they blink.

*Sigh* I'm so stoopid!

#7 8 years ago

Now is a good time to pick up a solder gun, some solder and try your repair skills out! Get the TIPs and diodes from Mouser electronics. Get a hanful of spares as well. One of the most satisfying aspects of pinball is fixing them

#8 8 years ago

Yeah I agree with simplykind if your going to own pinball got to learn sometime. If you really dont want to do it send it to JohnWartJr

#9 8 years ago

Simplykind and Kporter - thanks for the support. I actually have soldered and done repairs (I brought Taxi back to life....before injuring her!!!) and it is a rewarding feeling - but I am worried about messing up the board. I would think the TIPs are fairly easy to replace?.................I will be ordering the parts.

Do you have JohnWartJr info? You can message me. Thanks.

-Nate

#10 8 years ago

Tip's are the absolute easiest to replace and to learn your way around a multi meter. If nothing else you should get a decent mm and learn to test your TIPs. EBay het a used Hako 800 for $20-30 pull out board and test away. John's handle is his name. Or Chris Hibler or borygard. 3 good choices

#11 8 years ago

kporter that's nice to know, I'm fairly agile with repairs, I just worry about soldering those small round contacts out of the board - I know older boards this happens often.

I have a meter, will test them this week (when I figure out what to do!), gotta learn to use it sometime! Thanks for the recommendations also.

-Nate

#13 8 years ago

Once you have located the transistor that needs to be replaced you can cut off or snip the 3 legs of the TIP and then with small pliers you can pull the legs sticking out of the board while they are heated with the soldering iron. Then suck out the solder that you can on the board. If solder is left on the board covering the hole after using solder sucker, I use a toothpick (needs to be small to fit in hole and a material that solder will not adhere) to open the hole while the solder is melted. Then insert new TIP and solder into place, check continuity with multimeter to make sure each leg has good connection to next point on board. Cut off excess part of legs on bottom of board. Hope that helps you out! They are not too bad to replace!

#14 8 years ago

This is a great place to get started on board repairs because you have identical known good circuits above and below q60 to compare to.

#15 8 years ago

fish1975 and bosco - ooookay, you guys convinced me, fish, that is the type of instruction I need - I will get a solder sucker and see what happens - of course, carving out a niche of time to DO this damn repair is something else.......

I also need to ask how to use the MMeter when checking the circuits - I will shoot a photo of my particular meter and someone can point out the settings - sorry, but thanks, you are making me feel a little better - I was soooo depressed about this but it seems fixable!!

-Nate

#16 8 years ago

Have you done the test with the test leads and single bulb? If not, are you sure that the transistor is the problem?

#17 8 years ago

Herg - I have not yet, I am going to get some alligator clips to test with. From the behavior of the bulbs I am assuming at this point. It happened last night - now I'm at work........ I was hoping maybe it was the diodes - could that be possible that they were fried - could the transistors be ok? (That would be great!) I know, we won't know until I test the damn things - I hear ya!!

I think the socket that was worked loose contacted the metal of the Marilyn pops which is directly beneath it.......I located the column that appears to be affected and the corresponding row on the schematic (pat on back!!!).

-Nate

#18 8 years ago

It does sound likely that the transistor is dead, but I'd rather do the test and find out that the test was wasted time than to replace the transistor and find out that I just did unnecessary board work.

#19 8 years ago

Have you read Terry B soldering posts? Lots of great info there. If you do not have the board soldering skills then send it out with a note of what happened.

#20 8 years ago

Yes, I'm leaning to having someone else do it - I just don't wannt f*&# up something else in the process - but I think I can do this type of thing, I need to practice on a dead board.................I've had some offers of help - I will keep you posted - I WILL do the troubleshooting to isolate what needs fixing though.

Thanks everyone!

Nate

#21 8 years ago

Okay, here's an update:

I used my Multi-meter to test the diodes on the sockets, black on the banded side and red on the opposite side. Readings were good at around .5 volts. This is my first time doing this, it seemed like sometimes I couldn't get a reading at all, even when I replaced one of the diodes with a new one after getting a "null" reading on that one in particular??? I might be doing something wrong?.....I guess easiest thing is to replace all diodes that I can't get a reading and just assume they are fried.

I did the test Boskokid pointed me to on the repair website while in the "all lamps on" test mode: on 1J7 location, all the pins touched with my diode (unbanded side) lit my light socket and made it blink -BUT pin 4 (counting from the right to left at 1J7) made the light sooooper bright and blinking, so I think that is the associated transistor that needs replacing - I am guessing that the "full force" of wattage is getting to that light since it's so bright.

On 1J6, all the 8 pins lit the bulb normally and made it blink when I touched each 1J6 pin with the banded side of the diode, so it looks like there is not a problem with that lamp row, only the column?

Can the multi-meter measure the current on the individual TIP transistors?

In the manual the column suspect is 4, which is the lamps for all characters (Pinbot, Drac, Marilyn, Santa, Gorbie, Ride Again, Passengers Carried, and the Lock arrow on the right of the pf). There's a small Q80 on that column heading written-in in the manual matrix table so that is the corresponding transistor location, correct? There are also a range of numbers from 25 to 32 written next to each lamp name (Pinbot, etc.) in the manual not sure what that number is.

Looking at the game in play mode, it looks like all those lamps are brighter than they should be an pretty much ON all the time with a slight dimming where it should be blinking.

Hope this helps, would like to get this thing fixed. My CPU board has been repaired before from what looks like acid damage, a lot of the trace work has been "polished through" and looks silvery - up to now though I haven't had any problems with the game.

Thanks again for comments/help -

Nate

#22 8 years ago

Are you using a taxi specific schematic?

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2505/Williams_1988_Taxi_Schematics.pdf

Scroll down to page 11.

You proved you didn't like the output at 1J7-4 - that TIP is Q60 (not sure if Q80 was a typo).

You should be able to work backwards from there, comparing identical points such as the output of R86 (that feeds Q60) with the output of R87 or R85 (identical circuits) - if those readings are all the same then you have proven Q60 is bad. If the readings are still different then move to the upside of those resistors and repeat until you find a spot where you get the same readings. Then you will know your issue is between that point and 1J7-4

If you trace the bad reading all the way back to U54 I would abandon the mission and have one of the board experts take a crack at it

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

You proved you didn't like the output at 1J7-4

Agreed. The results of your test says something on the board, likely the transistor, is not working properly.

#24 8 years ago

boscokid and herg, yes, that was a typo, - It is Q60, I am using a Taxi manual/schematic. I think it is the transistor, I will attempt the below tonight, but I have a question (see below):

"You should be able to work backwards from there, comparing identical points such as the output of R86 (that feeds Q60) with the output of R87 or R85 (identical circuits) - if those readings are all the same then you have proven Q60 is bad."

Question:What setting should I use on the Multi-meter for this test? And where does red/black lead go? Thanks, as you can see, I am learning as I go along - appreciate the input. I see that on the schematic, so I know where we are on the board - thanks.

Back to not getting any readings on some diodes, is it possible they are blown out? As I said, I got readings on some and not others, this is my first use of my multi-meter out-of-the-box new so could I be doing something wrong testing the diodes? I am putting the black probe on the banded side metal and the red side on the opposite side metal.

-Nate

#25 8 years ago

Put your meter on DC, Volts, range of 20. Turn the machine on so all the lights are flashing (attract mode or lamp test).

Put the black lead on ground (corner screw on the cpu board) and the red lead on the right side leads of the heat resistors R82-R89 you should get about 14v on all of these. The 5th one from the top R86 is your suspicious circuit. If you get a constant 14V there then the only item between that spot and 1J7-4 is Q60 and that's what you need to replace.

If you don't get consistent voltage at R86 then we have to go the other direction up the circuit

As long as you only touch one lead at a time with your red probe you won't hurt anything

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Back to not getting any readings on some diodes, is it possible they are blown out? As I said, I got readings on some and not others, this is my first use of my multi-meter out-of-the-box new so could I be doing something wrong testing the diodes? I am putting the black probe on the banded side metal and the red side on the opposite side metal.
-Nate

I am no expert in diodes but I seem to remember Vid posting in the flipper thread that they need to be removed from the circuit to be tested properly, and given the low cost are just replaced if you suspect they are bad.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

they need to be removed from the circuit to be tested properly

In this case, you can do that by simply removing the bulb from the socket. The DMM outputs a small current, and if there's enough stuff in parallel to "steal" the current, the DMM can't properly bias the diode. This is most commonly a problem with coils since they're basically a wire in parallel with the diode.

Edit: I also found this really good description:
http://en-us.fluke.com/training/training-library/test-tools/digital-multimeters/how-to-test-diodes-using-a-digital-multimeter.html

#28 8 years ago

Boscokid, thanks for the "hand holding" - I will trace that tonight with the probe and see what I get - hopefully it is only that isolated Q60!!!

Herg, thanks for the added input on the diodes - the bulbs were out of the ones tested, I think I'll hold off on any diodes until I get the transistor(s) replaced.

Best,

Nate

#29 8 years ago

Ok, I tested the heat resistors R82-89 using the multi-meter set to DC, Volts - I used auto-range because I couldn't figure out how to make the range 20 - touched the right side (my right as I'm looking at the mounted board in the backbox I'm assuming......)with red and grounded the black on a corner screw.

If my meter is correct, it looks like all the resistors are fine, each showing 15 volts (I never did get 14).

Sooo, I'm guessing that only Q60 needs replacing.

Does this sound right?

#30 8 years ago

15V should be fine, mine was actually 14.8 at that spot and i just looked at police force and it was 16.2V I guess the important thing is all 8 measure the same voltage

Looks like Q60 to me but you could also pull off 1J7 and check voltages there. I would expect pin 4 to be wonky and the others to measure around 5V

#31 8 years ago

Thanks boscokid, I can check the pins on 1J7, almost surely, that fourth pin will be putting out much more voltage. I'm assuming I measure the same way as I did the resistors? (DC, ground black, touch red to pin - game in attract mode......).

-Nate

#32 8 years ago

yep - test the pin voltage the same way.

Obviously we want to see a bad reading on pin 4 to prove our Q60 is bad theory.

At that point you need to pull the CPU and look at the backside of Q60 and decide for yourself if you are comfortable soldering something that small. The steps fish1975tx gave above are exactly what you would need to do

#33 8 years ago

Yep, that will tell me. I will check tonight.

I dunno about soldering on the board, I know that there are small metal discs around the actual CPU board that can sometimes get heated loose and cause contact problems. This happened to me on the small lamp board that sits beneath the spin-out ramp when I removed a bad light socket - although I wasn't too concerned about that becuase I replaced that lamp board with an LED strip.

Someone mentioned cutting the legs off of the old one, and for a temporary solution, just solder the new resistor legs onto the old ones that are already soldered onto the board - is this ok to do for a few weeks fix until after the holidays??

-N

#34 8 years ago

Okaaaay, still messing with this problem, but hopefully closer.

I had a Pinsider resolder a new TIP at Q60 after bringing him the board. Glad I did because one of those tiny metal rings around where the TIP's legs are inserted lifted off when removing the old legs - sooo, he had to connect that leg directly to a trace - that's exactly what I thought would happen as this is an old board.......

Anyway, put the board back in last night, replaced the bulbs in the offending sockets (all Taxi characters) and........they still didn't light DOH! Why Youuuuuuu! Ok, it was late and I didn't do too much after that, I DID squeeze the diode from the bulbs not lighting and I got a VERY dim light coming from the bulb - so that is telling me that the diode is probably no good - correct assumption?

I have one new diode, so I will try replacing one this evening and see what happens. I also noticed some sockets are wonky, so will be replacing them as well.

Nate

#35 8 years ago

Are you talking about the green board under the characters? If so try the connector, as that was my problem then I reflowed the connector and problem was gone.

#36 8 years ago

There are two lights on that green board not working, (Carry Passengers and one of the "20k" squares in that green row above the characters) I haven't re-flowed that yet, but plan to - I assume you mean that ring where the socket screws, clamps down on? I did try making sure the metal leads on that screw-in socket were clean/pulled-out for good contact.

#37 8 years ago

No. Tony is saying to look at the connector on that light board.

Do this: flip up playfield and go into diagnostics to test all lights at same time. Then careful jiggle the connector to that green light board. If those lights in question lite up when jiggling, you need to reflow that connector.

#38 8 years ago

Blackbeard, Oh, I gotcha - thanks. Will try that.

#39 8 years ago

Ok, someone mentioned maybe these sockets are not grounded properly?? I can't understand why all-of-a-sudden the bulbs are not working after I replaced the TIP on the board?

Anyway, they said to try running a clip from the ground braid to the socket, if it lights then it's a grounding problem. Either that or low voltage..........

I haven't done anything more with this, but will be looking at it tonight.

#40 8 years ago

I'm done. I had that TIP replaced, I don't think it was done correctly because now all the lights don't come on at all. I ran that test again with the alligator clips, and now that Pin #4 doesn't light the bulb at all.............

Also, now my pop bumpers don't work at all.

I really would like someone to come to my house (Baltimore, MD 21234) and repair Taxi. If anyone can do this, PM me and let's set up a time.

-Nate

#41 8 years ago

Did you read the voltages at all the pins? specifically what does pin 4 now read? I didn't see if you posted the numbers from all the pins prior to replacing the TIP. if you have the same reading at pin 4 as the others then we need to follow that wire down the playfield. If the board is putting out the correct volts then the issue has to be underneath the playfield. Get under there with the meter and start reading numbers at every junction. use a really bright flashlight and inspect every lamp holder closely

The pop bumpers are not on the same circuit we have been troubleshooting. did you recheck all the fuses?

Did you mention acid damage on the board that was cleaned up? can you post pics of the front and back of the board (including the newly installed TIP) silly question but did you or your fixer verify there is no connection between any of the legs of the TIP? Did you double check to match up the correct leg to the correct location? getting nothing where before we were getting bright lights leads me to think that TIP is bad or wasnt installed correctly or your lifted traces might be causing a broken connection

#42 8 years ago

I test all new parts before installing. Easier than repairing over and over.

#43 8 years ago

Contact Clive at coin op cauldron.

Stop wasting your time and sanity.

#44 8 years ago

BoscoKid, I'm pretty sure the TIP is not soldered in correctly, I am getting absolutely no reading now when I test the pins with the light-bulb at pin 4 as I had before. I have called a local guy to come look at this for me - but naturally, he is very busy until after Christmas....

We did check the TIP and got the same readings as the other ones after the new one was installed, I really think that is the problem.

As I mentioned, now my pops (all of them!) are out (unrelated I know)............I did check the fuses, they look okay. Oh, also a wire came out of the socket connect for the PinBot drop targets (they are so brittle)!!! I feel like this thing is falling apart as I work on it - like a Laurel and Hardy short!!!

I tried metering the TIP's last night with board in machine, from what I could read (some legs I couldn't get to) the readings all checked out, I really think its the solder job! Just my luck.........

Urg.

#45 8 years ago

A pic is worth a thousand words.

#46 8 years ago

This is too obvious, but did you make sure a fuse didn't blow?

#47 8 years ago

KingDaddy, yes, I checked the fuses, as I said I pretty much isolated the bad transistor, once that was swapped out, now I get no power to that column at all.

Here's a pic I happened to have of the board - the board is back into my machine, so I will have to pull it again to get better photos, you can see where something was done to the board because the traces in that very area are sanded down.........I know this isn't a very good photo - just a "fill-in."

I tested those resistors also, all tested ok.

Board.jpgBoard.jpg

#48 8 years ago

Someone mentioned this:

Did you check the conicity from the legs of Q60? This may help to see if
when Q60 was shorted out, it also took out the Q59 Pre-Driver transistor
(2N6427) and possibly the U53 (7408) Quad Gate. On your manual's schematic
page 70, follow the path to the left from Q60. You will see it leads to Q59
and then to pin 6 on U53. If there is good conicity from the three legs of
Q60, and column 4 is still out, then Q59 and possibly U53 have been blown.

I will check this too.

#49 8 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of corrosion, I'm not sure I would have fixed that board.

#50 8 years ago

Nate I feel for you. Crash course in brain surgery here. But its best to keep plowing through. You seem to be learning. Now my $0.02. When KingDaddy asked you about testing the fuses tour response was as if you checks them a while ago as you said "before isolating..." Did you physically pull them out and retest them AFTER you lost your pops? You can't accurately test them in circuit FYI. Keep your head up, take a deep breath. Pins aren't easy toys. Its not if its when they break. You dont want to have to rely on a repair man for the rest of your time in this hobby. 5 years ago I was just like you. You can do it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 109.00
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-taxi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.