Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by gac
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3407 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3406 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3405 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3402 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3401 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3400 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2021-01-31-19-22-30.png
    #1 3 years ago

I have a new issue with my T2. Just recently, my machine will lose all of the settings when turned on. I've had a remote battery holder on it for many years. I thought maybe the remote unit developed an issue so I put the batteries directly back onto the CPU board. Still have the same problem. I changed to new batteries just in case but the issue still exists. I'm guessing the issue must be with the CPU board itself. Could it be cold solder on the battery holder itself? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 3 years ago

With your game off and batteries installed, put your DDM on DC volts and put the black lead on the backbox ground strap. Then put the red lead on diode D2 on the CPU board. The banded side of the diode should show about .5 volts less than the non-banded side (which should be about 4.3 volts). If only one side of the diode shows voltage, this 1N4148 diode is bad.

Next test for voltage at the CPU U8 RAM chip. With the game off, you should get about 4.3 volts DC at pins 26, 27 or 28 of chip U8. If you don't, the battery voltage is not getting to the U8 RAM chip, and the game will boot up with the "Factory Settings Restored" error. Note pin 28 of the 28 pin U8 chip is in the same position as pin 1 of the chip, but on the opposite row of pins. Pin 1 is designated with an impressed "dot" right on the top of the chip.

#3 3 years ago

Most likely, the contacts on the battery holder broke connection. Can you post a picture of the MPU board?

#4 3 years ago

Thank for the replies. I haven't gotten a chance to check with a meter or pull the board to get pics. Some additional info... I left the machine on for about an hour and then turned it off. When I turned it back on after waiting about five minutes, it had saved the settings and did not give me the Factory Settings Restored message. Does this provide any more clues as to the probable cause of the problem? I would think if the contacts were broken on the battery holder, the settings would have been lost. But I'm just guessing.

#5 3 years ago

I tested the D2 diode and got 4.85 volts on one end and 4.35 volts on the other. So I guess the diode is ok. In regards to the U8 chip, there is a circular indentation in the chip on the right side. Would pin 28 be on the top or bottom side of the chip? Thanks again

#6 3 years ago
    Screenshot_2021-01-31-19-22-30.pngScreenshot_2021-01-31-19-22-30.png
    #8 3 years ago

Here is a picture of the U8. Based on the picture, pin 28 would be on the bottom right, correct?

IMG_3400 (resized).jpgIMG_3400 (resized).jpg
    #9 3 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

Here is a picture of the U8. Based on the picture, pin 28 would be on the bottom right, correct?
    [quoted image]

Correct. I was hoping to see the board all around the battery holder actually.

#10 3 years ago

I will pull the board tomorrow and take pictures of the front and back.

#11 3 years ago

Just the front side will be fine.

#12 3 years ago

Here are pics of the front. Oddly, when I turned the machine today, all settings were saved.

IMG_3401 (resized).jpgIMG_3401 (resized).jpgIMG_3402 (resized).jpgIMG_3402 (resized).jpg

#13 3 years ago

The wires to J206 and J208 are not original. Are these going to a mod?

I'm happy not to see any obvious battery damage. That is the better type of battery holder. You should update to Lithium batteries, if not going with NVRAM to remove the batteries forever.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

The wires to J206 and J208 are not original. Are these going to a mod?
    I'm happy not to see any obvious battery damage. That is the better type of battery holder. You should update to Lithium batteries, if not going with NVRAM to remove the batteries forever.

Yes the wires on J206 and J208 are for a mod. I really don't think there is any battery damage. I've had the machine for about 15 years and have used remote battery holders all along and never had an issue before. Maybe a cold solder on the back of the battery pack?

#15 3 years ago

Tested U8 pin 28 yet? Did you just install that battery holder? Or was on on there when the previous batteries were on there and the RAM was holding memory? Kinda trying to help track down the history as to when the problem started.

Alkaline batteries are not made like they were 15 years ago. Most or all are now made in China and are doomed to leak, sometimes even in the packaging at stores.

Interested in hearing about that mod.

#16 3 years ago

Sometimes there is some soldering in solved in a remote battery holder if there is a diode installed. With the machine working again I suspect the remote battery holder again.

I would install the batteries in the remote holder and check for voltage on the output wires. That will rule out the remote holder or find a problem.

#17 3 years ago

Just tested U8 pin 28 and got 4.3 volts. Turned on the machine and settings were saved. (Hasn't been turned on in a couple days.) I dont know what it could have been. The remote holder worked for years.

#18 3 years ago

Here's the mod connected at J206 and J208...

IMG_3405 (resized).jpgIMG_3405 (resized).jpgIMG_3406 (resized).jpgIMG_3406 (resized).jpgIMG_3407 (resized).jpgIMG_3407 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-t2-settings-won-t-hold-batteries-are-good and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.