(Topic ID: 175664)

Help - Sys 1 cannot get Pascal Janin card to work properly?

By 4Max

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by 4Max
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_3903 (resized).JPG
IMG_3902 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

My first SS (and at this rate, my last!) - driving me nuts. I'll send a question to Monsieur Janin, but in the mean time wondered if any Pinsiders have some ideas:

I spent all day re-pinning all the connectors that attach to my new Pascal Janin P1-1X4 all in one board.

All "look" to be good, including using Trifurcon for the two power connectors on left.

Machine powers on. All the LEDs on the x4 board light, and it seems goes through its start up process ok.

But when I press the Test button (which is how you change the game to CA, and to access tests) it seems to just jump around the menus at random.

In fact its all in Spanish right now, I had German for while and English at one point.

Even at the start, which is where you can change the game, if I press start when the game name flashes, it just jumps to the next part of the start up sequence.

Any thoughts anyone..its been a long day and now I know why I love my EMs

#2 7 years ago

Maybe one of the switches in your game is playing up. Could it be bouncing an input into the pascal board.

You could use disconnect the test and credit switches and then manually short the test switch and see what happens.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks Steve, by no joy. Credit and Test switch tested and working correctly. Checked all fuses are good. Playfield switches all "look" ok.

This is so frustrating after shelling out big $ for the card.

#4 7 years ago

I agree with SteveNZ... your switches are bouncing... maybe a bad ground on your switch matrix?
I would unplug your switches and see if you can trigger the board manually, after a boot.
Or if you've tried this and the board acts the same way with no switched attached then it could be a problem with the board. Check for shorts.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I'm afraid I'm new to SS and so feel like a complete idiot.

When you say "unplug switches" do you mean just the test and credit (which I have done, no differences, actual switches seem to be fine) or other switches like playfield? I assume not as they are all soldered.

Also, when you say "switch matrix" is that something physical or just refers to the way the connections are wired? I do have the manual but it's like when I first looked at an EM schematic, I.e. Overwhelming.

I assume these are all the diodes part of switch matrix, is there an easy way to test none have failed?
IMG_3903 (resized).JPGIMG_3903 (resized).JPGIMG_3902 (resized).JPGIMG_3902 (resized).JPG

The machine does seem to boot ok, it's just that it does know it's a Charlies Angels and I cannot change it as per above.

I think this is going to end up me creating a you tube and sending to Pascal.

#6 7 years ago

Just checked on Pinwiki and it looks like connectors J6 and J7 are the ones that connect to the switch matrix. you could try booting with those unplugged. I'm not exactly sure what will happen (will it boot or not) as J7 probably has more than just the switch matrix, but I don't have a full wiring diagram to check this.

If it boots then you can try connecting A1J6-3 to A1J6-8 momentarily this is the same as pushing the test switch (switch 00) if you get the menu up and no problem then you can be sure that the Pascal board is OK, but something in the wiring switches or diodes in your game is the problem. If you still have the problem with the switch matrix disconected, then I would suspect the pascal board.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks, Steve - so I unplugged J6 and J7.

Booted, no change, except I got a slam switch warning. But on Pascal board you can put a jumper to take those out of the start up check, which I did.

Booted again, and its just like when I had J6 and J7 connected. Tied the A1J6-3 to A1J6-8 and it does just the same as if pushing the test switch.

Hmmm, let hope Monsieur Janin is reading his emails....

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from 4Max:

All "look" to be good, including using Trifurcon for the two power connectors on left.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that you want to use trifurcon pins on an edge connector. Those are designed to give more contact area on a square pin and it would give less contact area on an edge connector.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from KevinD:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that you want to use trifurcon pins on an edge connector. Those are designed to give more contact area on a square pin and it would give less contact area on an edge connector.

To be clear, I only used the trifurcon on the these two connectors, all the others I used the correct single sided connector - quite a few of them!

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago

I totally forgot that the power supply is part of the Pascal board. My bad!

#11 7 years ago

Resolved - works out that the grounding wire that screws to the back of the backbox behind the board was sticking out and must have been touching a few of the A1-J6 contacts. Pressed that flat, and, bingo - we're away.

Had a few other issues that I could fix (cleaning & gapping contacts mainly) and I now have a working Charlie's Angels!

My learning has begun with System 1.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-sys-1-cannot-get-pascal-janin-card-to-work-properly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.