Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9CA54FB1-5752-447A-BDAD-2E05C99F0532 (resized).jpeg
C60827F0-0563-4CDF-99EE-BCE84DFA1CCB (resized).jpeg
876D1233-5014-439C-993D-06CEE636F61F (resized).jpeg
2FD8828F-296B-4E06-9885-7F2B545ED311 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Hey Everyone,

Need your help please. My STTNG is having some sort of ground short problem in Row 1.

When the top interlock switch on the coin door is pressed in (door closed), all of the switches in the entire game close. Leave the coin door open and it’s fine.

Driver board is rebuilt and the CPU is a Rottendog with no battery damage. I installed Frank’s Battery Board. That doesn’t mean something couldn’t have gone wrong here. This happened after I soldered a lighted Hallmark shuttlecraft to the GI. No evidence that was the problem, nor are there any cold solder joints or loose wires there.

Removed connectors 133 and 138 on the Driver Board in the Backbox and restarted and it did not fix the problem.

I pulled, tested and cleaned the door switch. That did not make the fix.

Tested the diodes on the driver board and they either came up with a value of near 0 or 0.5.

It’s not the lamp matrix because the lights all work.

Pic below is not from my machine but is the same message on the DMD. It is for reference.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2FD8828F-296B-4E06-9885-7F2B545ED311 (resized).jpeg2FD8828F-296B-4E06-9885-7F2B545ED311 (resized).jpeg

#2 1 year ago

Do the other switches on the row work correctly with the coin door open?

Disconnect the playfield switch harnesses from the MPU. If the error goes away the problem is a short in your playfield. If it doesn’t you probably burned u20 on the MPU.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Arcadegarage:

Hey Everyone,
Need your help please. My STTNG is having some sort of ground short problem in Row 1.
When the top interlock switch on the coin door is pressed in (door closed), all of the switches in the entire game close. Leave the coin door open and it’s fine.
Driver board is rebuilt and the CPU is a Rottendog with no battery damage. I installed Frank’s Battery Board. That doesn’t mean something couldn’t have gone wrong here. This happened after I soldered a lighted Hallmark shuttlecraft to the GI. No evidence that was the problem, nor are there any cold solder joints or loose wires there.
Removed connectors 133 and 138 on the Driver Board in the Backbox and restarted and it did not fix the problem.
I pulled, tested and cleaned the door switch. That did not make the fix.
Tested the diodes on the driver board and they either came up with a value of near 0 or 0.5.
It’s not the lamp matrix because the lights all work.
Pic below is not from my machine but is the same message on the DMD. It is for reference.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
[quoted image]

Did you unsolder the shuttlecraft from the GI to put it back to the state before the error?

Check Fuse 114 OUTSIDE the holder (not in circuit). Is it ok?

#4 1 year ago

Did you perform the work with the game switched on?

As above, unplug the two connectors bottom right of the MPU - J206/207/208/209 - does the message go away?

YES: you have a wiring issue on the playfield

NO: U20 is likely toast - usually caused by shorting things on the playfield while working on the machine. This can fry in microseconds if you touch the wrong things.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from pins4u:

Did you perform the work with the game switched on?
As above, unplug the two connectors bottom right of the MPU - J206/207/208/209 - does the message go away?
YES: you have a wiring issue on the playfield
NO: U20 is likely toast - usually caused by shorting things on the playfield while working on the machine. This can fry in microseconds if you touch the wrong things.

Maybe he will get lucky and already have a socketed U20.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Maybe he will get lucky and already have a socketed U20.

He said it's a Rottendog board. U20 is already socketed on them.

#7 1 year ago

Ordered the U20 replacement since it’s socketed and an easy start. Will update next week.

Please keep the advice coming. Thanks.

#8 1 year ago

Ordered the U20 replacement since it’s socketed and an easy start. Will update next week.
Please keep the advice coming. Thanks.

Order a few. Always a good chip to have on hand.

1 week later
#9 1 year ago

Ok so I’m working in this game as well. U20 was replaced and nothing changed. We tried a second MPU board and nothing changed either.

Basically, the game boots fine as long as the coin door is open. If the door is closed then the issue occurs. This is caused specifically by the two black-yellow wires being connected inside the top interlock switch. As soon as the coin door is closed, every switch in the matrix appears to close and all flippers are locked on. Originally we thought it was just a row 1 issue, but it’s not. Also, the 12v LEDs on both the driver board and the small auxiliary driver board go out. Attached are pictures of the matrix when the coin door is both open and closed.

Lastly, at one point the game started smoking. I think from the upper left area of the backbox. We unplugged it right away and haven’t had that issue since.

876D1233-5014-439C-993D-06CEE636F61F (resized).jpeg876D1233-5014-439C-993D-06CEE636F61F (resized).jpeg9CA54FB1-5752-447A-BDAD-2E05C99F0532 (resized).jpeg9CA54FB1-5752-447A-BDAD-2E05C99F0532 (resized).jpegC60827F0-0563-4CDF-99EE-BCE84DFA1CCB (resized).jpegC60827F0-0563-4CDF-99EE-BCE84DFA1CCB (resized).jpeg
#10 1 year ago
Quoted from MikePags:

Ok so I’m working in this game as well. U20 was replaced and nothing changed. We tried a second MPU board and nothing changed either.
Basically, the game boots fine as long as the coin door is open. If the door is closed then the issue occurs. This is caused specifically by the two black-yellow wires being connected inside the top interlock switch. As soon as the coin door is closed, every switch in the matrix appears to close and all flippers are locked on. Originally we thought it was just a row 1 issue, but it’s not. Also, the 12v LEDs on both the driver board and the small auxiliary driver board go out. Attached are pictures of the matrix when the coin door is both open and closed.
Lastly, at one point the game started smoking. I think from the upper left area of the backbox. We unplugged it right away and haven’t had that issue since.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well, with the coin door open you have the coil power cut off. When you close the door, it energizes the coils, which makes sense that it's energizing all the switch matrix go solid if there's a short from the matrix to coils somewhere.

Did you undo the lighted hallmark shuttlecraft (i.e. remove it again) and check around the area to make sure some errant solder didn't fall and create this short?

Have you tried this with the playfield all the way up?

#11 1 year ago

Get rid of ALL the mods - colour DMD included!

Otherwise you are going to keep going around in circles.

Once you fix the problem you can re-connect the mods one by one.

#12 1 year ago

We desoldered the Hallmark DS9 Runabout Shuttle Mod from the GI lamp and now the game works fine. I did not hook it back up. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

#13 1 year ago

We desoldered the Hallmark DS9 Runabout Shuttle Mod from the GI lamp and now the game works fine. I did not hook it back up. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

Glad that was narrowed down to be the problem and you're back in business!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 85.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-sttng-ground-short-row-1?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.