• Latest reply 4 years ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Starmag:

...I tried cooling these down with compressed air which made them quite cool to the touch, but cooling them didn't bring the sound back.

I'd get a can a freeze spray for electronics before shotgunning it. If it really is thermal (i.e. stops working when warm), you should be able to spot it fairly quickly. You can also use a piece of paper, etc. to help shield individual components when you spray. Helps to narrow down the specific part.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Starmag:

...Thoughts?...

Get some freeze spray, really!

It could also be a bad solder joint. After it is acting up, give the board a little bit of a press in several areas. If the sound comes back, then start looking for a cracked solder joint, broken trace, etc. Might be hard to spot, to the point of being easier to just touch up a bunch of solder connections.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Starmag:

Well it appears I was wrong and you were right mbwalker. Even though I haven't bought some freeze spray yet, I can bring the sound back by isolating U8 LM3900n with a tube of cardboard and blowing compressed air on it for 30 secs. I had just tried it previously with the larger chips above it. Thanks.

Nah, you didn't say/do anything wrong. I'm just an old fart that has used freeze spray sporadically over the years. And chasing down a thermal problem is a little harder with air than freeze spray. Freeze spray REALLY gets cold instantly. Like frosty cold! Good deal w/the cardboard tube for isolation.

Just make sure you didn't cool any possible culprit right next to the audio chip. Try cooling down parts next to the audio IC, excluding the audio chip to be sure.

Sounds like you are on the right track tho!

Also, does the audio chip have a heatsink with thermal grease? It the thermal path used to cool the IC is so-so (loose heatsink, dried out thermal grease), that can cause the problem too. The IC might just be going into thermal shutdown.

#29 4 years ago

I just looked up the LM3900..that's just a quad op-amp. I was thinking it was the output audio amplifier. So obviously my heatsink question is a 'whoops, nevermind'. LOL.

What pin is this in?

#31 4 years ago

Sorry, I should have asked the last time...Is there a Ux by the chip? Like U1 or something similar? I'll look up the schematic and take a peek at the circuit.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Starmag:

Yes, U8! I'm really sure I had it isolated when I cooled it though.Also isn't the heat sinked transistor the output amp? It was still working when the game sounds would die. You could turn up and down the usual display hum with the volume on the sound board.

Yeah - the heatsunk transistor is probably the actual output device that drives the speakers (haven't looked at the schematic yet, was just looking it up). I was thinking the LM3900 was the output amplifier, until I looked it up and saw it was just a lower level audio amp - my mistake.

#35 4 years ago

OK, looked up the circuit.

Not much going on there. I doubt R5 is bad. R4 - the same. Not impossible, but unlikely. C3, the 68pF cap - I'd blame that before the resistors - but I'd blame U8 first.

The schematic shows a couple of voltage levels you can check when it acts up.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#37 4 years ago

Link: https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=space+invaders&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

Scroll down a ways to the Space Invaders by Bally section, the look a little bit lower to Documentation. Full schematics there.

#39 4 years ago

U8 is up next then. I should have the resistors if you want to replace just for the heck of it... Just PM me your address.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Starmag:

I will if I need it. Thank you for the kind offer.

NP, it's just the cost of a stamp...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-strange-power-supply-problem-as2518-49?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.