• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by WildRover
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi all,

I have a Walking Dead Premium that has some really strange things happening.

When I press the start button all of these things start happening:
1.Prison Multi-ball mode automatically starts (typically you should have to hit the prison doors several times for this mode to start)
2.The ball automatically launches (normally you plunge the first ball and if you drain the ball quickly while the ball save is lit, the ball is automatically launched.
3. The drop target coils fire in a strange pattern, the coil on the three target bank fires three times then the single drop target under the right spinner fires. After a pause of about 10 seconds the cycle starts up again.

None of these things should be happening at the push of the start button. The last time I pressed the start button I had a score of 11 million points on ball one WITHOUT pressing the flipper buttons, just the start button once.

Here is what Ive tested/checked:

*Checked for switch alerts, nothing is posted.
*went through switch tests and coil tests with zero warnings.
*raised the playfield several times and checked all cable attachments, everything has a solid connection.
*unseated and reseated all of the connections to the drop target banks.
*checked for burned fuses in the backbox and have not found any.
*I cleaned the playfield really well thinking that the optos in front of the prison might be dirty causing the Prison multi-ball to start
*ran a test on the ball launcher, works perfectly
*All codes are up to date

I have no idea what to check next, the game is in great shape and is nearly new.
Does anyone have any advice on what could be causing all of these problems to be happening at the same time?
Does anyone have a source for repair advice on newer Stern games? Im finding lots of helpful stuff for older games but not newer ones.

Thanks!!

#2 7 years ago

On any game, any make, any era, schizoid behavior is often caused by connectivity failures that can corrupt the data being exchanged between circuits. This results in the circuits going HAL 9000 and flipping out.

Turn the game of and access the boards in the head. Go around on each board and press on each connector, paying special attention to the gray flat ribbon cables.

Also any chips mounted in sockets. Give them a little press too.

Any improvement?

#3 7 years ago

If the prison opto/switch is somehow misfiring, the would cause the ball launch.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice! I opened up the back box and disconnected everything as suggested and the game is working normally. My fingers are crossed that the problem is just a loose connection that needs to be tightened up every once in awhile. The game came directly from Stern and I noticed that one set of ribbon cables had a small amount of hot glue on the top of the connector on both sides. I'll keep my eye on that cable.

Thanks so much!

Oh, ps it was odd that you mentioned HAL because the game was singing "daisy" when the trouble was occurring.

#6 7 years ago

First, switch test isn't a self diagnostic that runs and returns warnings. It's meant to be user interactive. You activate each switch with your hand and see it on the screen.

The first 2 problems are probably caused by the same thing. The prison stand up that is part of the skull is too sensitive and machine gunning. This would start the multiballs as too many hits would get registered right away and also cause then auto plunge as it thinks the ball is put and hitting the prison. You can test this in the switch test menu. Go there and the display should be idle. If something is triggering repeatedly in and off then that switch is machine gunning. Lets start there.

I wouldn't be looking at any Hal stuff right now. That's a wild goose chase at this point.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

First, switch test isn't a self diagnostic that runs and returns warnings. It's meant to be user interactive. You activate each switch with your hand and see it on the screen.
The first 2 problems are probably caused by the same thing. The prison stand up that is part of the skull is too sensitive and machine gunning. This would start the multiballs as too many hits would get registered right away and also cause then auto plunge as it thinks the ball is put and hitting the prison. You can test this in the switch test menu. Go there and the display should be idle. If something is triggering repeatedly in and off then that switch is machine gunning. Lets start there.
I wouldn't be looking at any Hal stuff right now. That's a wild goose chase at this point.

Did you see post #4? I didn't see a correlation between the prison target and the drop targets, hence my "wild goose chase" suggestion that seems to have corrected the problem. You feeling OK?

8 months later
#8 6 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Im still being plagued by this same problem. I think I have it fixed and then it comes back. Im having two problems occurring at the same time, they seem to be related or its just bad luck that they are happening at the same time.

To go over my problems again-

When I press the start button, hits to the prison immediately register on their own until PRISON is spelled out. At the same time all four of the drop targets go off, the cycle starts on the left and they go down in sequence, 123 and then over to the drop target under the spinner on the right then back again to the left side.

When I enter the switch alert section in diagnostics, I expect to see nothing, instead switch alerts are coming up for both the prison optos and the drop target bank. I shot a video of this and posted to Youtube. When I shot the video, I was touching nothing on the playfield, everything was activating on its own:

Id appreciate any advice!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from SkillshotExhibit:

Hi Everyone,
Im still being plagued by this same problem. I think I have it fixed and then it comes back. Im having two problems occurring at the same time, they seem to be related or its just bad luck that they are happening at the same time.
To go over my problems again-
When I press the start button, hits to the prison immediately register on their own until PRISON is spelled out. At the same time all four of the drop targets go off, the cycle starts on the left and they go down in sequence, 123 and then over to the drop target under the spinner on the right then back again to the left side.
When I enter the switch alert section in diagnostics, I expect to see nothing, instead switch alerts are coming up for both the prison optos and the drop target bank. I shot a video of this and posted to Youtube. When I shot the video, I was touching nothing on the playfield, everything was activating on its own:
» YouTube video
Id appreciate any advice!

I just watched your video, follow the prison-door opto plugs and unplug one of them from the little board this will disable the opto if it doesn't trigger anymore in the switch test afterward it's probably an alignment issue if it does then Maybe a short near the drop target area?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I just watched your video, follow the prison-door opto plugs and unplug one of them from the little board this will disable the opto if it doesn't trigger anymore in the switch test afterward it's probably an alignment issue if it does then Maybe a short near the drop target area?

Thank you. I think this is a good suggestion, I have tried unplugging the plugs from the board. Ive also checked the alignment of the optos and they are lined up well. My thinking is that the drop target sequence and the prison madness are linked together somehow. It seems that when the problem goes away, both symptoms vanish at the same time, its not like the prison optos correct but the drop targets still fire, both happen at the same time or are functioning properly at the same time.

#11 6 years ago

Sounds like one or both of your prison optos are bad. If the transmitting or receiving opto is flaky and gong in and out, it will effectively register a hit and each hit spells a letter, this starting multiball. If your certain your optos are aligned and when you unplug the optos the problem goes away, it's your optos that are bad or you have a bad connection at those optos. It should not be a difficult fix. You can try to reflow solder to the wires at each opto and make sure the wires at the opto connector below the playfield are not loose and are making good connection.

I'm not sure why your 3-bank target is showing up in switch test, but go after those optos and then see what happens.

3 years later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-strange-activity-on-walking-dead-premium?hl=wildrover and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.