(Topic ID: 179120)

UPDATE: Help! Stern Stars: No solenoids fire. ALL new boards...

By megalo17

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by megalo17
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4858 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megalo17.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm trying to bring a Stars back to life. It was sick when I bought it. MPU board had severe corrosion damage, so it's been replaced with an Alltek board. Upon startup, I get the proper flashes from the LED. It seems like I can start a game, but not a single solenoid will fire. I'm considering replacing the power supply and driver boards, but I'm scared that it still may not solve the problem...

UPDATE: I did replace the rectifier and solenoid driver boards... ALLTEK mpu board is new as well.

HERE'S WHAT I KNOW:

-Still getting the proper flashes on the mpu.
-All led indications and cyclone led's on ultimate driver board are proper.
-All voltages on test points are reading as they should, except TP3 on the rectifier board is reading 18Vdc (should be 12), but I'm not sure what to make of that.
-All coils have 43Vdc going to them
-I have verified dipswitches and jumpers on the Alltek board are correct.
-The 1amp slo-blo fuse under the playfield is NOT blown (otherwise I wouldn't have power to the coils, right?)
-When I start a game, all switches will score points except for one. The switch checks out with a dmm, and the wire has good continuity going to the connector.
-All other wiring looks intact, and I'm basically using the "hunt and peck" method at this point. The connectors that haven't been replaced don't appear to be degraded. No green or blue corrosion. I haven't checked them all yet, but am doing my best to test them.

Any and all advice will be investigated, and is really appreciated. I know that troubleshooting over the interwebs is more thankless than doing it on your own machine, and I am very grateful to you all. This is driving me crazy. I've got a lot invested in this machine and really want to play it, and move on to other projects...

#3 7 years ago

Nope. All fuses are good.

#5 7 years ago

I'll check that now. A fellow pinsider told me the high voltage is normal to out of whack when unloaded. Besides the cap not filtering the dc, all voltages are good for driver board as well. When I "start" a game, all I get is flippers. Nothing else. Drops don't reset, no trough kicker, no chimes.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for your help Ken! I'm trying to do the diagnostic check. I guess I assumed this game didn't have one, due to it being super early SS. Is the self test switch the only push-button inside the coin door? I've got something that looks like a pb, but it won't depress. Also, a wire is disconnected. It seems to rotate, so I was wondering if it's the volume rheostat... I tried shorting the wires, bypassing the switch, but nothing happened.

#8 7 years ago

IMG_4858 (resized).JPGIMG_4858 (resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago

I checked continuity from the wires coming off of the fuse clip, and it's good. Self test didn't fire any solenoids.

#11 7 years ago

I haven't done this yet, as I'm just trying to get it running before I bulletproof it. It looks fine. No burnt connectors or anything, and all tp voltages are good. I get 43vdc at the solenoids. I tested the transistors to ground, and all fire except for Q6, 8, 9, 10, 18, 19. Not sure if these are used for this game.

1 week later
#13 7 years ago

I think I might turn my attention to the coindoor wiring. It looks like crap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 10.00
$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 169.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megalo17.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-stern-stars-no-solenoids-fire?tu=megalo17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.