(Topic ID: 76195)

HELP! Stern Sharkey's Shootout / Whitestar wont boot!

By bonedoc

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo.JPG
ss.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I am new to this series of CPUs. I have this Starkey's Shootout and it doesnt boot.

-Upon power up, all 5 driver board voltage status LEDs are all lit.
-The blanking LED on the driver board blinks at a steady rate.
-New batteries, and zero corrosion
-The CPU LED status LEDs are lit.
-I have exactly 5V at the CPU.
-I swapped out both of the 6809 CPU chips on the CPU, and also the 6116 RAM.
-The fuses are all good
-I reseated every chip on the CPU and the DMD board.

-NO playfield lights are going (does have GI)
-The dot matrix display shows no sign of life!

Any ideas?

#2 10 years ago

Can you post a picture of the two boards?
Has the game ever played for you?

#3 10 years ago

I can get some pictures. Anything specific? I actually bought this not working. One thing...the LED status light on the driver board does not light at all. If I reverse the ribbon cable to the drier board, the status light blinks. I guess these 2 situations indicate 2 different problems, and the LED is supposed to be solid? I have head that getting a better socket for U212 NEC chip has solved this issue.

#4 10 years ago

Well, here is a pic. There is no ROM chip in U37. I thought maybe it didnt use it. However, there is indeed a chip here in the manual, but it says its only for "8MB Use",and the jumper by the NEC RAM chip is at the 32k, not the 8k.

ss.JPGss.JPG
#5 10 years ago

When you first power on a WS system, the DMD will briefly flash the display ROM version. The display has its own controller with its own RAM, ROM and CPU. Seeing this shows that the DMD is good and the controller board has booted. If you don't get this you have a problem with the display that you will need to resolve (first thing to check there is the power connector.)

The CPU board as part of its boot process sends a reset pulse to the display controller and then starts clocking data to the board showing the game, ROM version, etc.

If the CPU board is not booting and there is no corrosion damage, first things to suspect in order are RAM, ROM, CPU then PAL. Couple of things to note about these.

The major ROM revision on the CPU must match that on the display controller. For example, if the CPU ROM is version 2.x, the display ROM also needs to be 2.x.

The CPU used must be a 68B09E - specifically the E version which uses an external clock. A regular 68B09 will not work.

The PAL for Sharkey is unique to the game. It is the gold dot version. Most other WS boards use a blue dot version PAL except LOTRLE which uses a special version to lock the code/features for that machine.

viperrwk

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from bonedoc:

I can get some pictures.

Was actually wanting to see a picture of the boards in the game with power on. Sorry about that.
Seems viperrwk knows quite a bit about this game.

#7 10 years ago

Thanks guys! Just noticed something odd. I just flipped it on to test the display power, and the CPU was not it the machine. Guess what...the display came on! It said revision 2.01. So, this does indeed work, but I tried several power ups and it only boots about every other time. Weird...

#8 10 years ago

Seems like reset on the DMD is being held low when it's hooked up. At this point I'd swap out the ROM next and if that doesn't work, I think its the PAL as reset goes from the PAL to U216 (which controls plasma reset.)

viperrwk

#9 10 years ago

Are you saying all the ROMs? CPU and display? I did order a PAL last night

#10 10 years ago

CPU only - assuming that the display has a 2.01 ROM already since your CPU shows a 2.04 ROM. Latest for CPU Sharkey is 2.11, 2.01 for display.

viperrwk

#11 10 years ago

One question...On the CPU...do I just replace the main 3 ROM chips, or do I also need to replace U7 and U210?

I see that U7 is a 27512 and that U210 is a 27c040...but the folder with the ROM images is confusing. One says SSCPU.211 and the other says SSSNDU7.101.

SSSNDU7 is obviously the sound ROM....but what is SSCPU.211? Is this U210, by the PAL chip?

#12 10 years ago

Ok, I found the chart on sterns site. 210 is the CPU chip....I will put that in also...

#13 10 years ago

replaced all roms....no luck. Will check back in when my PAL gets here.

3 weeks later
#14 10 years ago

Ok....my PAL chip took a month to get here. Got it today and put it in. Still no action!!!

Now that I have replaced the CPU, RAMs, ROMs, and PAL....what next?

Also, if you look at the pic I posted above, can you see the 6116 RAM chip? The manual says 6264/6116. They have totally different pin counts. Is the 6116 above in correctly?

#15 10 years ago

Ok, I think I may have found the issue. I went through all the sockets and tested for continuity. That was good. Took off the driver board and found that pin 3 was broken off the Dallas DS1232! I wont know if this is the only problemuntil the chip arrives on tuesday....but Im keeping my fingers crossed.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG
#16 10 years ago

I had one and did the same problem I checked the fuses and they all looked good but there was one that look good but was bad , as soon as I replaced it, it worked ......

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from bonedoc:

Ok, I think I may have found the issue. I went through all the sockets and tested for continuity. That was good. Took off the driver board and found that pin 3 was broken off the Dallas DS1232! I wont know if this is the only problemuntil the chip arrives on tuesday....but Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Probably not. Factory did that. When you swapped CPUs did you swap with E's? What is your blanking LED doing exactly?

http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/sb112.pdf

Quoted from bonedoc:

Also, if you look at the pic I posted above, can you see the 6116 RAM chip? The manual says 6264/6116. They have totally different pin counts. Is the 6116 above in correctly?

Yes. But even if it wasn't working it wouldn't keep the board from booting as its the sound RAM.

viperrwk

#18 10 years ago

I used the MC68B09EP. Is this ok?

I suppose this means I need to clip pin 3 of the dallas chip when the new one gets here?

The blanking light just comes on solid.

So confused by this thing!

#19 10 years ago

Ok, I tested a few more things.

-All of the fuses are good
-all voltages to the cpu is good
-I measure 5 volts on the blanking pad of the CPU
-As a precaution, I replaced the 5v bridge rectifier.

Still....no progress.

I put the new Dallas chip in the driver board. I notice something interesting. Pin 1 of the driver board dallas chip pulses from 0 to 5V and the indicator LED is out. If I unplug the ribbon cable from the CPU to driver, Pin 1 of the dallas chip is held constant at 5V and the indciator LED flashes.

Can someone give me some insight on where to look now? I have a scope if that helps.

The LED on the CPU is constantly solid.

#20 10 years ago

Ok, I think I am as far as I am going to get on this board without trying to replace every chip on it.

I hooked my scope up and I have a signal at the 20mHz and 6mHz pads. I also have signal at Q and E. However, I see nothing at SND_RESET or SND_FRIQ.

I do have activity on the CPUs and RAM chips.

Who works on these and has a fast turnaround time?

9 months later
#21 9 years ago

What is necessary to boot a Whitestar board on the bench, can it be done without the I/O or display boards?

2 years later
#22 7 years ago

I hooked it up on my bench and it seemed to work. Connected +12v and 5v and all my leds come on.

#23 7 years ago

Oops, old thread

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-stern-sharkeys-shootout-whitestar-wont-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.