• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-12-21 14.22.28.jpg
2014-12-21 13.27.11.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Got a call to work on a space shuttle today that wasn't working. The owner thought that the coil that ejected into the shooter was broken. And he told me a bunch of numbers kept coming up when he turned it on.
He said he recently had the MPU serviced by a big name vendor (starts with Bet and ends with son) who had the board for 3+ months.

The first issue I pretty quickly determined was the game wasn't holding memory. I asked him if he replaced the batteries. Very impressed with this owner, he said yes, and he opened the backbox to show me.

Well I pulled the board to get a better look. Yep, batteries were good, but the battery holder that was replaced, well, here's the problem...

2014-12-21 13.27.11.jpg
#2 8 years ago

Anyway, repaired that. Game held memory properly.
MPU booted correctly and the display showed a "zero" which is a clean boot. Game actually went into attract mode. I put some credits onto the game, but here's the problem:

I put the game into test mode, and tested every solenoid, and they work in test mode. Checked a few switches, they registered properly.

Press the start button, game resets the drop targets, but that's it. Won't kick a ball. No scoring, no solenoids firing.

Thoughts?

#3 8 years ago

If there are not enough balls in the trough, or a trough switch is not registering, it will act like that.

You could try checking those switches in test mode.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks. Good place to start.

I also pulled the boards and I'm going to reflow the connectors.

#5 8 years ago

Wanted to close the loop on this. I'm a smart guy sometimes.

Went back, replaced the boards, same behavior.
Was really frustrated. Went through the switch test and every switch registered. Every coil fired. Every flasher flashed.

On a lark I tested each switch to make sure it was registering properly. And, lo and behold, the switches look like they had been replaced in the tough at some point. And wired in the incorrect order. So the bottom switch in the trough was actually registering in the top. So the game would never correctly understand which balls were where. Swapped them around, game fired right up and played!

Lots and lots of other issues with the game, but the owner had family coming over in an hour, so I just had to make it work and leave it be.

Next visit I may get a chance to rebuild the flippers and install a real EOS switch in place of the paper clip that was there

2014-12-21 14.22.28.jpg
#6 8 years ago

Nice find with the trough switches.

Looks like his lane switch isn't going to work either. ...cause it's, you know, not there anymore.

#7 8 years ago

This game just needed so much. But in this case the owner just wanted it to play for the grandkids to knock around. Very hard for me to not want to fix everything...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,000 (OBO)
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bristol, TN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-space-shuttle-wont-startweirdness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.