12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by GWK4TX
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

I’m trying to repair a Sega Space Jam for someone. The game resets after about 30 seconds of play. I have checked and re-seated all power connectors, reflowed suspect headers on the driver, bridges tested out fine (surprisingly), and changed and cleaned one top right connector that had severe battery corrosion, which I thought for sure was the issue.

The display power connector is completely loose, yet, the display works fine, as in the headers must all be completely broken. The display was working completely (prior to resetting) until I disconnected and reconnected things on the driver board and DMD controller, and now the display only comes on with the rom version info, and nothing else. I replaced the 5v connector, but no change.

I tried booting without the display plugged in, as with the loose connector, I thought for sure something was dragging something down, but no change in the resets.

I’m not familiar with whitestar boards, but did a bit of research. I also tried the driver in my TSPP, and although it ran with displays and started a game, it would not spit out a ball, and only a few lights were active in the inserts. This was prior to replacing the connector (I can’t recall which one, second from the top right, across the top).

The only other thing I can try, given my research, is adjusting and upping the 5v pot. What else should I look for? The guy is an hour away from me, so I’ve been trying to figure this out between visits, but I’m thinking now, being more severe, I may have to bring the machine home with me to work on and try to get going.

#3 12 years ago

I went there today and played around with it for 2 hours. Bridges checked out, 5v was dead on everywhere I test it, every board, everything. It resets like crazy though. I started disconnecting area to try and isolate it, and I finally did - the DMD controller board is causing the problem.

I disconnected the DMD completely, then on the DMD board (systematically to find out if there was a certain ribbon cable) each connection, and it turns out it is the 5v connector. I tested this under load, and while resetting, and it is bang on 5v, just as every other board, and I mean 5.01v. I re-seated the rom, but no help. It doesn’t seem to be dragging the 5v down per say, but it’s doing something.

As soon as I take this connector out, it plays fine. I had already re-pinned this connector and re-flowed the headers.

I hate this f**cking DE/sega/Stern DMD controller, as this stupid board is the only board I have never been able to repair, and this will be the third one.

Again, the DMD power connector was completely loose, and I wonder if something shorted to the 5v, surging the voltage to this board. I’m going to try and repair the DMD headers (tough, as you have to lift the plastic channel and solder from the wrong side of the board), and see if I can fix this board, but if not on either count, it’s going to run this guy like $400+ to replace the two, so any help is appreciated.

What’s funny is the of all the whitestar reset issues I have come across, as with Sega, they usually point to the DMD controller.

1 year later
#6 10 years ago

It turned out to be br21 for me. It tested fine in circuit, but I read a few places they do this, and go bad quite a bit. I replaced it and everything was fine. I had the same issue with my TSPP at some point as well, again replaced br21.

It seems to be one of the common things to me with whitestar systems and something I'm considering adding to the immediate list of to-do's, along with dealing with the 5v connector on the DMD controller.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-space-jam-whitestar-issues?tu=atomicboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.