(Topic ID: 298025)

Help settle a debate: Would you be satisfied with this mod?

By Haymaker

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Lermods
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you be satisfied with this mod?”

• No, it looks poor and the ball should spin as advertised. I would be disapointed. 51 votes
    80%
  • Yes. It looks really good and the spinning is satisfactory. I'd be perfectly content with this 13 votes
    20%

(64 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

A while back I got a DP pro and one of the first mods I wanted to do was the disco ball mod. I chose the LERMods version because I thought it was the best integration and I know Ler has a great reputation in the hobby. Upon receiving the mod I was dissatisfied with many aspects of it, including it not working at all right out of the package and the ball itself being smooshed on one end. I messaged lermods and he was somewhat helpful and I did eventually get the mod working. At one point he even offered me a refund, which I was thankful for but passed on. I had already dumped a bunch of work into this mod, and uninstalling it from my machine and paying to ship it back to him (later he told me he would not have charged me for shipping, which is very generous) did not seem worth it. Overall he was helpful and I do believe he makes good products. This thread is not meant to bash lermods in any way, but there is a point of contention between us and I would like some other opinions.
The way the discoball mod works is that a light sensor picks up when a certain insert is lit and activates the spinning ball/light. Fairly recently there was an update to the code which made that insert flash instead of stay lit. This causes the ball to spin for fractions of a second at a time, instead of spinning constantly throughout the mode. After everything I went through and dealt with qualitywise with this mod, to find this out was disappointing at best. There is no mention of this on his site and every time I give a review of my disappointment with this mod I get a message saying I'm being unfair, everyone else is satisfied with it, ect.
Now, I am completely understanding that code changes and whatnot can effect things and mod makers have little to no control over this. Fine. What I don't agree with is that this product, in its current form, is completely fine, anyone would be satisfied by it, and I am crazy for being harsh on it. I feel there needs to be some sort of redesign or at the very least a warning before you buy it, that the ball no longer spins as it is advertised after the latest code update. Lermods disagrees with me and says everything is fine. I have asked his permission to make this thread and he agreed, and again, this is not to bash him or his other products. Hes a good dude and most of his other products I'm sure are great! Hes offered me a few solutions, which I am thankful for. I just feel that this particular product is faulty, he disagrees.
How would you feel with this mod in your game? Do you think the spinning action is good enough, or would you be disappointed as well?
Here is a video of it in action:

If the pot adjustment works then I don’t see an issue and I’d be satisfied. You have to install it yourself, hook it to the correct triggers yourself, it’s not unreasonable that you have to adjust it yourself as well. Mods are DIY in nature. It’s not factory, even then many games need adjustments right out of the box.

Let us know if the pot adjustment fixes the incremental spinning

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
DEAD POOL (PRO) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 37.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinsburg, WV
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, NH
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-settle-a-debate-would-you-be-satisfied-with-this-mod?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.