(Topic ID: 298025)

Help settle a debate: Would you be satisfied with this mod?

By Haymaker

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Lermods
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you be satisfied with this mod?”

• No, it looks poor and the ball should spin as advertised. I would be disapointed. 51 votes
    80%
  • Yes. It looks really good and the spinning is satisfactory. I'd be perfectly content with this 13 votes
    20%

(64 votes)

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

A while back I got a DP pro and one of the first mods I wanted to do was the disco ball mod. I chose the LERMods version because I thought it was the best integration and I know Ler has a great reputation in the hobby. Upon receiving the mod I was dissatisfied with many aspects of it, including it not working at all right out of the package and the ball itself being smooshed on one end. I messaged lermods and he was somewhat helpful and I did eventually get the mod working. At one point he even offered me a refund, which I was thankful for but passed on. I had already dumped a bunch of work into this mod, and uninstalling it from my machine and paying to ship it back to him (later he told me he would not have charged me for shipping, which is very generous) did not seem worth it. Overall he was helpful and I do believe he makes good products. This thread is not meant to bash lermods in any way, but there is a point of contention between us and I would like some other opinions.

The way the discoball mod works is that a light sensor picks up when a certain insert is lit and activates the spinning ball/light. Fairly recently there was an update to the code which made that insert flash instead of stay lit. This causes the ball to spin for fractions of a second at a time, instead of spinning constantly throughout the mode. After everything I went through and dealt with qualitywise with this mod, to find this out was disappointing at best. There is no mention of this on his site and every time I give a review of my disappointment with this mod I get a message saying I'm being unfair, everyone else is satisfied with it, ect.

Now, I am completely understanding that code changes and whatnot can effect things and mod makers have little to no control over this. Fine. What I don't agree with is that this product, in its current form, is completely fine, anyone would be satisfied by it, and I am crazy for being harsh on it. I feel there needs to be some sort of redesign or at the very least a warning before you buy it, that the ball no longer spins as it is advertised after the latest code update. Lermods disagrees with me and says everything is fine. I have asked his permission to make this thread and he agreed, and again, this is not to bash him or his other products. Hes a good dude and most of his other products I'm sure are great! Hes offered me a few solutions, which I am thankful for. I just feel that this particular product is faulty, he disagrees.

How would you feel with this mod in your game? Do you think the spinning action is good enough, or would you be disappointed as well?
Here is a video of it in action:

#2 2 years ago

That stop start would bug the hell out of me. There should be a notice to potential purchasers.

#3 2 years ago

would expect a smooth rotation like a actual disco ball!

#4 2 years ago

That's the most entitled thing I've ever read. It's a fan-made mod, and the part you don't like only happened after stern updated the code. Ridiculous on your part.

#5 2 years ago

Just to summarize these are your two main gripes. (1) The mod arrived damaged and you were able to fix it without a replacement offered by Lermod? (2) The mod was designed to work with the game prior to a code change from Stern. Lermod had no control over this, but still offered a refund anyway? Lermod should post the impact of the code change on their website with the product information and possibly stop selling it altogether.

Its sounds like they have been very fair with you. I am not sure what you expect from them. I have several Lermods installed in my games and have been completely satisfied with the quality and support. When you mod a game using a nonfactory part you assume a level of risk. The risk is you could damage the game during installation, void your warranty or the mod could stop being functional due to code changes the mod maker has no control over.

#6 2 years ago

"We cannot guarantee the functionality of this mod in part or whole, should any part of the mod be changed, or altered or any part of the mod that is deemed dependent on said mod functionality, from any present or future updates on any or all dependent components functionality. "

There, fixed.

#7 2 years ago

let's think ingenuity. is there perhaps another insert or lamp that only activates during this mode, and stays lit solid throughout? if so, i'd wire it to that.

#8 2 years ago

I would not be happy if it is advertised as spinning and it does not in fact spin. It turns incrementally. That is not spinning.

#9 2 years ago

I wouldn't hold a mod maker responsible for something that Stern changed code on and it happened to break the trigger for it. Hopefully Lermods could add something to it though that will pick up the blinking and put a delay before their motor shuts off that's the way I'd fix it.... just a timer that would reset everytime the insert blinks, if the timer expires, it turns the ball off.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

let's think ingenuity

If you're going to redesign the mod just add a timer circuit.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Gritty:

Just to summarize these are your two main gripes. (1) The mod arrived damaged and you were able to fix it without a replacement offered by Lermod? (2) The mod was designed to work with the game prior to a code change from Stern. Lermod had no control over this, but still offered a refund anyway? Lermod should post the impact of the code change on their website with the product information and possibly stop selling it altogether.
Its sounds like they have been very fair with you. I am not sure what you expect from them. I have several Lermods installed in my games and have been completely satisfied with the quality and support. When you mod a game using a nonfactory part you assume a level of risk. The risk is you could damage the game during installation, void your warranty or the mod could stop being functional due to code changes the mod maker has no control over.

Lermods indeed have been very fair, and I think I addressed all these points in my original post. My question is, is the mod satisfactory in its current state or should there be a redesign or at least a warning.

Quoted from bigehrl:

let's think ingenuity. is there perhaps another insert or lamp that only activates during this mode, and stays lit solid throughout? if so, i'd wire it to that.

There are people working on solutions like that, and I think its one of the better options. However, I don't think you should have to modify a mod to get it to work properly. I can understand for people who bought the mod before the latest revision, but it should be covered, noted, or at least warned of for current/future purposes.

Quoted from slochar:

I wouldn't hold a mod maker responsible for something that Stern changed code on and it happened to break the trigger for it. Hopefully Lermods could add something to it though that will pick up the blinking and put a delay before their motor shuts off that's the way I'd fix it.... just a timer that would reset everytime the insert blinks, if the timer expires, it turns the ball off.

I don't hold them responsible for anything other than continuing to say that no changes are needed and that it is perfectly fine as is.

#12 2 years ago

If a capacitor doesn't cause an issue for the way it's hooked up (modern games sometimes have an issue), a 10000uf 25v capacitor in the circuit should smooth out the function of the motor:

https://www.amazon.com/Radial-Electrolytic-Capacitor-10000UF-105C/dp/B01N2IKVZ6

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Lermods indeed have been very fair, and I think I addressed all these points in my original post. My question is, is the mod satisfactory in its current state or should there be a redesign or at least a warning.

Should not be a warning. Should be a description of how the mod operates, along with a video like yours, so potential buyers can determine if this is what they want.

I think all mod sellers can do a better job with showing more photos of the mod installed, how it looks from a distance and even a video showing how it moves/lights up/etc. Just be transparent with how something looks and works.

#14 2 years ago

one of the solutions offered recently by lermods was to adjust the pot on one of the potentiometers in the "brain box" of the mod. It may achieve the same thing as a capacitor. This is perhaps an option, but I haven't attempted it yet as I'm just not in my basement messing with my games much during the summer. This is fine if it works, however, the mod should start coming with this adjustment already made, not pretending like there is no issue IMO

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

That's the most entitled thing I've ever read. It's a fan-made mod, and the part you don't like only happened after stern updated the code. Ridiculous on your part.

So if you bought this mod, you wouldn't be disappointed in its operation? FWIW I didn't buy the mod before the update. The update was out quite a while before my purchase, so its not like I had it, and it worked fine, then after an update I suddenly got mad. If that were the case I wouldn't be upset at all. I just was not aware that such a problem was even a thing, until I looked into why I was only getting little tiny spins.

#16 2 years ago

I actually question any mods that are controlled via inserts in any nature, because yes, they do sometimes change with code changes. On this mod specifically I can see where that would be annoying.

I generally stick to mods that have their own code function, or just simply plugged into the GI or power.

I can see where you might be disappointed. Hopefully there's a viable (inexpensive) solution. As someone mentioned, maybe a redesign where it gets triggered by the insert, and rather than rely on it, just have it run on a timer.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

A while back I got a DP pro and one of the first mods I wanted to do was the disco ball mod. I chose the LERMods version because I thought it was the best integration and I know Ler has a great reputation in the hobby. Upon receiving the mod I was dissatisfied with many aspects of it, including it not working at all right out of the package and the ball itself being smooshed on one end. I messaged lermods and he was somewhat helpful and I did eventually get the mod working. At one point he even offered me a refund, which I was thankful for but passed on. I had already dumped a bunch of work into this mod, and uninstalling it from my machine and paying to ship it back to him (later he told me he would not have charged me for shipping, which is very generous) did not seem worth it. Overall he was helpful and I do believe he makes good products. This thread is not meant to bash lermods in any way, but there is a point of contention between us and I would like some other opinions.
The way the discoball mod works is that a light sensor picks up when a certain insert is lit and activates the spinning ball/light. Fairly recently there was an update to the code which made that insert flash instead of stay lit. This causes the ball to spin for fractions of a second at a time, instead of spinning constantly throughout the mode. After everything I went through and dealt with qualitywise with this mod, to find this out was disappointing at best. There is no mention of this on his site and every time I give a review of my disappointment with this mod I get a message saying I'm being unfair, everyone else is satisfied with it, ect.
Now, I am completely understanding that code changes and whatnot can effect things and mod makers have little to no control over this. Fine. What I don't agree with is that this product, in its current form, is completely fine, anyone would be satisfied by it, and I am crazy for being harsh on it. I feel there needs to be some sort of redesign or at the very least a warning before you buy it, that the ball no longer spins as it is advertised after the latest code update. Lermods disagrees with me and says everything is fine. I have asked his permission to make this thread and he agreed, and again, this is not to bash him or his other products. Hes a good dude and most of his other products I'm sure are great! Hes offered me a few solutions, which I am thankful for. I just feel that this particular product is faulty, he disagrees.
How would you feel with this mod in your game? Do you think the spinning action is good enough, or would you be disappointed as well?
Here is a video of it in action:

If the pot adjustment works then I don’t see an issue and I’d be satisfied. You have to install it yourself, hook it to the correct triggers yourself, it’s not unreasonable that you have to adjust it yourself as well. Mods are DIY in nature. It’s not factory, even then many games need adjustments right out of the box.

Let us know if the pot adjustment fixes the incremental spinning

#18 2 years ago

ok, yet again, I will chime in here, but it's getting really old. I offered two solutions for the OP (via PM and in another thread), plus the return option, which I get is not what the op is posting about. The OP has not tried anything I have offered, but repeatedly posts negatively about it.

1. Try adjusting the potentiometer inside the control box. It reduces the sensitivity to light and could keep the mod activated longer so it doesn't have the halting movement the OP shows. The OP did not try this and it may have corrected his issue. Unfortunately, I no longer have the game so I cannot test this.

2. I offered a time-delayed relay board option, which holds the power on for 1-40 seconds. Again, the OP did not take me up on this and I offered to cover shipping and make the swap free of charge.

3. A third option is to use a different insert or even a GI light, which will hold the motor and light on as long as those lights are lit. That's not how it was designed to work, but is an option.

At this point, and I have mentioned this before, we have not received any negative feedback on the performance of this mod outside of this one case and I will not change boards for the entire mod because one or two people have an issue. I also cannot account for code changes. Instead, I would prefer to deal with this on a case-by-case basis, which I have tried to do with the OP. If there are more people unhappy with this because of the code change, we would consider making the time delay relay board standard, but that has not been the case. OP appears not to believe me.

I'll leave it at that and allow my reputation to handle issues speak for itself.

#19 2 years ago

Lermods offered you a refund, you refused. End of story as far as I'm concerned.

#20 2 years ago

Personally, I would take it out and call it a day. Not Lermods fault the update changed it to a flash.

#21 2 years ago

I think the OP would be satisfied if someone would just deliver and set up a new Mandalorian in his basement which he could enjoy once the weather allows for a pleasant experience.

This would take his attention away from that dastardly disco ball.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Lermods offered you a refund, you refused. End of story as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, that was very nice of him. However as I explained, I didn't think it was worth it to uninstall a mod I had just installed, after having to tear into it, resolder the connection that was broken out of the box, and then pay to ship it back. It wasn't until after I politely declined the refund (not refused), that he told me I wouldn't have to pay return shipping.

Quoted from Lermods:

ok, yet again, I will chime in here, but it's getting really old. I offered two solutions for the OP (via PM and in another thread), plus the return option, which I get is not what the op is posting about. The OP has not tried anything I have offered, but repeatedly posts negatively about it.
1. Try adjusting the potentiometer inside the control box. It reduces the sensitivity to light and could keep the mod activated longer so it doesn't have the halting movement the OP shows. The OP did not try this and it may have corrected his issue. Unfortunately, I no longer have the game so I cannot test this.
2. I offered a time-delayed relay board option, which holds the power on for 1-40 seconds. Again, the OP did not take me up on this and I offered to cover shipping and make the swap free of charge.
3. A third option is to use a different insert or even a GI light, which will hold the light on as long as those lights are lit. That's not how it was designed to work, but is an option.
At this point, and I have mentioned this before, we have not received any negative feedback on the performance of this mod outside of this one case and I will not change boards for the entire mod because one or two people have an issue. I also cannot account for code changes. Instead, I would prefer to deal with this on a case-by-case basis, which I have tried to do with the OP. If there are more people unhappy with this because of the code change, we would consider making the time delay relay board standard, but that has not been the case. OP appears not to believe me.
I'll leave it at that and allow my reputation to handle issues speak for itself.

So are you saying there is a problem with the mod or not? Thats all I want, is you to admit that this mod is faulty in its current state. I do not understand why this is so difficult. Either that, or quit crying when I give the mod a negative review. I will continue to warn people that it is bad, unless you want to admit there is an issue, and either A. correct it the best you can. or B. at the VERY LEAST give future potential customers a heads up that it no longer does what it originally was supposed to do.

You did not "offer me a time delay board" you merely suggested that such a thing exists, but you haven't started putting them in the mod because everybody but me is happy with it. I would happily take you up on that offer if it fixed my issue, and I would urge you to start using it on all future orders.

Quoted from John-Floyd:

Personally, I would take it out and call it a day. Not Lermods fault the update changed it to a flash.

I agree it is not his fault. It is his fault for not telling customers it doesn't work anymore though.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

If the pot adjustment works then I don’t see an issue and I’d be satisfied. You have to install it yourself, hook it to the correct triggers yourself, it’s not unreasonable that you have to adjust it yourself as well. Mods are DIY in nature. It’s not factory, even then many games need adjustments right out of the box.
Let us know if the pot adjustment fixes the incremental spinning

You're not wrong. I just think it is being sold under shady practices, as I have stated numerous times. Most people are not going to think "Hey, I know, I'll just pry open this control box, fiddle with little dials, and then this mod will work the way its advertised". Small tweaks here and there, sure. How about a heads up that it doesn't do what it is supposed to do anymore before you buy it? I was able to forgive the smashed disco ball, the broken wires, ect out of the box. I'm even able to forgive that I have to modify potentiometers or find an entirely new light source to make it work. All I want is acknowledgment that there is an issue with the product and corrections to be made.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

ok, i just read up on how this all went leading up to this thread. I'll summarize:
1) you bought a mod that worked great, until stern changed the code.

I'm gonna stop you right there. No. I bought a mod that never worked great for me, as the code changed well before my purchase, and it was not disclosed that the mod no longer works great. This is the ONLY issue I am making with this thread. Lermods says it works fine and everyone but me is happy with it. I cannot fathom anyone being satisfied with how it works. Other than that, I have gone out of my way to point out that Lermods has offered me several solutions. Having a solution is not my issue. Fixing the problem for potential future buyers is what I want to see happen.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

1) you bought a mod that worked great, until stern changed the code.

I think this is what people are getting hung up on. The OP bought the mod after the code changed and there was no description stating that the ball did not continuously spin. That being said Lermods has offered many solutions to the problem with the best one probably being returning the mod. I understand the disappointment from the OP, but there is nothing more Lermods can do for you.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I'm gonna stop you right there. No. I bought a mod that never worked great for me, as the code changed well before my purchase, and it was not disclosed that the mod no longer works great. This is the ONLY issue I am making with this thread. Lermods says it works fine and everyone but me is happy with it. I cannot fathom anyone being satisfied with how it works. Other than that, I have gone out of my way to point out that Lermods has offered me several solutions. Having a solution is not my issue. Fixing the problem for potential future buyers is what I want to see happen.

ok, so you're taking it upon yourself to be a consumer advocate AND administrator of everyone else's satisfaction. Not to mention, you haven't even tried the fixes he offered, or taken him up on his offer to make you whole! And in doing so, dragging a good guy through the mud just to make yourself feel better. Born Yelper...

#27 2 years ago

#28 2 years ago

OP, I think given all the details, a better way to go about this would have been to start the thread, asking for others with the mod, and if they saw the issue with the code upgrades, and were they able to resolve it, and could they share that with you.

Since there were options to try to fix it provided, probably would have been better to at least try those first.

#29 2 years ago

If I was offered a full refund, I would of happily taken the mod out to get my money back. Not putting blame on you, I just would of handled it differently. Good luck.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I think this is what people are getting hung up on. The OP bought the mod after the code changed and there was no description stating that the ball did not continuously spin. That being said Lermods has offered many solutions to the problem with the best one probably being returning the mod. I understand ther disappointment from the OP, but there is nothing more Lermods can do for you.

Thank you. Yes you are right and as I stated multiple times I am thankful for the help Lermods has offered. I just think instead of Lermods telling me I'm crazy for thinking tiny spins are not satisfactory, he should say wow, yeah thats not right, let me make some changes.

Quoted from bigehrl:

ok, so you're taking it upon yourself to be a consumer advocate AND administrator of everyone else's satisfaction. Not to mention, you haven't even tried the fixes he offered! And in doing so, dragging a good guy through the mud just to make yourself feel better. Born Yelper...

I mean I guess. Its not like I made a public review until now, other than if anyone asked if it was a good mod, I would tell them that in my experience, no it is not. I don't think that makes me a bad guy or a "consumer advocate" I think its perfectly normal to answer somebodies question. I think its perfectly normal to review a product as well. I am well aware of Lermods rep, and I was expecting some people to be mad at me just because of it. FWIW one of my other mods is Pinwoofer and I've also been very vocal about how happy I am with that product, so its not like I'm trying to dog anyone just to be a jerk.

However, every time I say anything, Lermods is in my inbox telling me I'm the only one who feels this way, so I literally asked him if I could make this thread to show people the video and ask if the way the ball spins is satisfactory.

Did you watch the video? Would you be happy with that? If no, do you think every customer should have to hit up Lermods for the top secret "real instructions" to make the mod work, or should this clear issue maybe be addressed before going out to customers?

#31 2 years ago

n/m he answered an unknown.

#32 2 years ago

I am a newbie here, and think they should have disclosed how the mod works with the current code (doesn't work)

I am learning lots on this site and from the industry, like I was just told this from the mod seller:

a metal ball hit the MOD and broke away from the stand (which will happen to anything coming in contact with a metal ball in a pinball machine; plastics, playfield, mods, lights, etc)

Again, it wasn't that our MOD that malfunctioned... it was broken after being hit with a metal ball, after being installed in your machine for 5 - 6 months

It is nice to learn mods are not built to withstand being hit with a metal ball. Kinda funny to me but I am learning.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I mean I guess. Its not like I made a public review until now, other than if anyone asked if it was a good mod, I would tell them that in my experience, no it is not. I don't think that makes me a bad guy or a "consumer advocate" I think its perfectly normal to answer somebodies question. I think its perfectly normal to review a product as well. I am well aware of Lermods rep, and I was expecting some people to be mad at me just because of it. FWIW one of my other mods is Pinwoofer and I've also been very vocal about how happy I am with that product, so its not like I'm trying to dog anyone just to be a jerk.
However, every time I say anything, Lermods is in my inbox telling me I'm the only one who feels this way, so I literally asked him if I could make this thread to show people the video and ask if the way the ball spins is satisfactory.
Did you watch the video? Would you be happy with that? If no, do you think every customer should have to hit up Lermods for the top secret "real instructions" to make the mod work, or should this clear issue maybe be addressed before going out to customers?

honestly, no i wouldn't be happy with that. and i don't fault you for going to him and expressing your dissatisfaction. but at that point he offered you several options that will at worst, cause you to not lose a dime and just be without the mod. and at best, it gets fixed. sounds like some fine customer service, if you ask me. promising to leave bad reviews if he doesn't do what you want him to, is pretty much a form of extortion. and I can't speak for him, but I've proven before in my business, I don't make management decisions based on threats. I get that you want the mod and you want it to work, but I'm of the opinion you should rethink your strategy.

#34 2 years ago

Lermods needs to disclose that code has changed and the mod no longer works as advertised. Only problem i see in this situation.

I would just work to fix it somehow personally or take lermods up on the refund.

#35 2 years ago

Based on the feedback I think the title of your thread has been concluded.

“Help settle a debate”

The majority of Pinsiders agree…. Until you participate by trying the mentioned modifications or try turning the delay rheostat or have an unsuccessful refund attempt….the seller has done everything possible to accommodate your concerns.

This thread will forever remain to alert purchasers that they may want the delay board included with their future purchase.

Or… you could revert to previous Stern Code and be happy as a clam.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I dont' think he wants to get rid of the mod, he likes it...he just wants it to work like it did. But yes, probably could have handled it differently.

it never worked the way it was supposed to

Quoted from bigehrl:

honestly, no i wouldn't be happy with that. and i don't fault you for going to him and expressing your dissatisfaction. but at that point he offered you several options that will at worst, cause you to not lose a dime and just be without the mod. and at best, it gets fixed. sounds like some fine customer service, if you ask me. promising to leave bad reviews if he doesn't do what you want him to, is pretty much a form of extortion. and I can't speak for him, but I've proven before in my business, I don't make management decisions based on threats. I get that you want the mod and you want it to work, but I'm of the opinion you should rethink your strategy.

You're right, and I tried to make it clear that he has been very good with the customer service. I'm not trying to extort him though, I'm not even threatening him. I probably should have just worded things better. If somebody asks for info on the mod, I'm going to give them my take because I think they should know. I wish I had known before I purchased. If I knew this issue was fixed, then my stance would soften greatly. I guess it just rubs me the wrong way that every time I try to say there is a problem, I'm told that I'm crazy for thinking its an issue. I do plan on trying the potentiometer fix that he offered to me, I just have other priorities than messing around in my basement during the summer months. I got a laundry list on pinball things to take care of down there, and that is certainly on there, but I'm enjoying the nice weather here in the midwest while it lasts.

#37 2 years ago

Wow!!! This is a real fucking doozy of a problem totally trumps cancer, homelessness, COVID-19 & natural disasters. PS: the Disco ball sucks a bag of dicks

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:Lermods needs to disclose that code has changed and the mod no longer works as advertised. Only problem i see in this situation.
I would just work to fix it somehow personally or take lermods up on the refund.

Yep, this is literally the only problem in the situation, I am in complete agreement and I don't know how many times I can say that but still have people overlook it.

I plan on fixing it. The problem is, this issue isn't isolated to just me, this will be anyone's experience who puts it on their game.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Yes, that was very nice of him. However as I explained, I didn't think it was worth it to uninstall a mod I had just installed, after having to tear into it, resolder the connection that was broken out of the box, and then pay to ship it back. It wasn't until after I politely declined the refund (not refused), that he told me I wouldn't have to pay return shipping.

So are you saying there is a problem with the mod or not? Thats all I want, is you to admit that this mod is faulty in its current state. I do not understand why this is so difficult. Either that, or quit crying when I give the mod a negative review. I will continue to warn people that it is bad, unless you want to admit there is an issue, and either A. correct it the best you can. or B. at the VERY LEAST give future potential customers a heads up that it no longer does what it originally was supposed to do.
You did not "offer me a time delay board" you merely suggested that such a thing exists, but you haven't started putting them in the mod because everybody but me is happy with it. I would happily take you up on that offer if it fixed my issue, and I would urge you to start using it on all future orders.

I agree it is not his fault. It is his fault for not telling customers it doesn't work anymore though.

You're not wrong. I just think it is being sold under shady practices, as I have stated numerous times. Most people are not going to think "Hey, I know, I'll just pry open this control box, fiddle with little dials, and then this mod will work the way its advertised". Small tweaks here and there, sure. How about a heads up that it doesn't do what it is supposed to do anymore before you buy it? I was able to forgive the smashed disco ball, the broken wires, ect out of the box. I'm even able to forgive that I have to modify potentiometers or find an entirely new light source to make it work. All I want is acknowledgment that there is an issue with the product and corrections to be made.

Quoted from Haymaker:

Yep, this is literally the only problem in the situation, I am in complete agreement and I don't know how many times I can say that but still have people overlook it.
I plan on fixing it. The problem is, this issue isn't isolated to just me, this will be anyone's experience who puts it on their game.

How can it be sold under shady practices when there have been no complaints about the mod except from you? You want me to admit there is an issue based on what? Your experience where you didn't even bother to try a solution I offered? Yet somehow my selling tactics are shady and I need to warn everyone? Sorry, but that's not right.

Rather than posting and starting threads, you should have been willing to help troubleshoot so that we could address the issue you were having and prevent others from having your experience, which I think is what you want most. I am 100% positive I could have fixed your issue, either with your current set up or using the time-delay board. If you didn't want to bother troubleshooting, which is very clear you don't, then you should have just sent it back, it takes 5 mins or less to uninstall and I offered to send you a pre-paid return label.

As for the mod arriving damaged (since you keep bringing that up), that is entirely possible and I don't dispute it, we all know how USPS delivers. I apologized for that and offered to swap it out at no cost to you. At this point, I've done everything I can and clearly you won't accept my viewpoint so I will have nothing more to say about this.

#40 2 years ago

I solve these first world problems by not paying good money for junk I dont need.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I solve these first world problems by not paying good money for junk I dont need.

Why are you calling it junk? It came as standard on the premium, is that junk too?

#42 2 years ago

Not every mod you make is going to turn out great. Not every dollar you spend has a return. I just ripped out side art I thought I’d like but never grew on me. Throw it away, move on with life. The nuance of the situation seems to be lost on everyone here and isn’t worth debating at this point.

#43 2 years ago

Lermods offered both a refund, and a solution... you chose neither option.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Why are you calling it junk? It came as standard on the premium, is that junk too?

Yes

Typical Stern happy meal build quality

#45 2 years ago

OP, I'm sorry but you sound like a spoiled entitled brat.

You have plenty of options that you turned down under pseudo pretexts, you don't want to unmount, you don't want to return it, you don't want to touch it, but you don't like it either.
Then you bring this to the public place, in hope to get support from all of us spoiled brats

Well you won't get support from me ! You like it keep it, you dont like it send it back, you want it better take one of lermod many options, it's that simple.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yes
Typical Stern happy meal build quality

First time I've heard that.

#47 2 years ago

Without modding it, yes, it now looks like a pile of shit. But I would try his fix! If that doesn't work, would not a capacitor fix the issue? I really dont see how his fix will help, but what is the harm in trying? With the current software, I would not purchase this mod, but now that you have it in your possession, why not try to mod the mod?

#48 2 years ago

All of this is just unnecessary but... My ONLY gripe here is it's clear the code has been changed so the mod doesn't work like it did. Okay FINE no worries, that happens. However, I still don't see any update to Lermods website to inform a potential buyer that due to the code change the mod works differently now. So while I get the Lermods is adamant this is the only complaint, failure to update the website will inevitably lead to more which just seems silly to me. Otherwise it's clear Lermods has tired multiple times to rectify this and the OP doesn't seem to want to play ball here so that's on them, not Lermods.

Just my two cents...

Jeff

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:All of this is just unnecessary but... My ONLY gripe here is it's clear the code has been changed so the mod doesn't work like it did. Okay FINE no worries, that happens. However, I still don't see any update to Lermods website to inform a potential buyer that due to the code change the mod works differently now. So while I get the Lermods is adamant this is the only complaint, failure to update the website will inevitably lead to more which just seems silly to me. Otherwise it's clear Lermods has tired multiple times to rectify this and the OP doesn't seem to want to play ball here so that's on them, not Lermods.
Just my two cents...
Jeff

I'm going to do the updates that were suggested, I simply haven't got around to it. That was never the issue. Also again, worth noting, myself and anyone else who has bought the mod since the latest update will have this issue. Anyone who had it before the update should have no reason to complain.

Quoted from ToddSonOfOdin:

Not every mod you make is going to turn out great. Not every dollar you spend has a return. I just ripped out side art I thought I’d like but never grew on me. Throw it away, move on with life. The nuance of the situation seems to be lost on everyone here and isn’t worth debating at this point.

The difference is, you saw how the side art looked before you bought it. You are certainly right about the nuance being lost though. Its not and never has been about getting mine to work right.

Quoted from Lermods:

How can it be sold under shady practices when there have been no complaints about the mod except from you? You want me to admit there is an issue based on what? Your experience where you didn't even bother to try a solution I offered? Yet somehow my selling tactics are shady and I need to warn everyone? Sorry, but that's not right.
Rather than posting and starting threads, you should have been willing to help troubleshoot so that we could address the issue you were having and prevent others from having your experience, which I think is what you want most. I am 100% positive I could have fixed your issue, either with your current set up or using the time-delay board. If you didn't want to bother troubleshooting, which is very clear you don't, then you should have just sent it back, it takes 5 mins or less to uninstall and I offered to send you a pre-paid return label.
As for the mod arriving damaged (since you keep bringing that up), that is entirely possible and I don't dispute it, we all know how USPS delivers. I apologized for that and offered to swap it out at no cost to you. At this point, I've done everything I can and clearly you won't accept my viewpoint so I will have nothing more to say about this.

Look at the video dude, lets say nobody else has complained, fine. Every single one you send out the door is going to act like that, and you're fine with putting your name on that? You don't see an issue? You don't think maybe it could use a little tweaking? Its never been about getting mine fixed, I've stated countless times you offered me fine enough solutions and service and I was thankful for it. Every time, you dodge my question and just say "oh I offered you a solution". YES! I know you did, thank you! I put that in my very first post and probably 20 posts since then. Thank you for the help, I sincerely appreciate it. Now, please fix your product so others don't have to do the same thing as me, I don't care if others have complained or not, people ain't gonna be happy with the tiny spins. Look at the poll. My whole issue is you telling me there isn't a problem and I'm the only one who would be unhappy with it. Thats just not true man!

#50 2 years ago

I think there should be a disclaimer stating to work as intended, the last working code (whatever version that is) should be installed. Obviously a permanent solution would be ideal.

I think Op was respectful in this post and Lermods was more then fair with the solutions he provided.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
DEAD POOL (PRO) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 37.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.95
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-settle-a-debate-would-you-be-satisfied-with-this-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.