Solved: Pop bumpers (and other switches) score but don’t chime

By chubtoad13

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

My #Jet Spin pop bumpers score but don’t chime when a ball hits them.
I can touch the skirt with my finger and they chime. It is a single switch that registers the score and the chime. I can’t seem to adjust it so both work.

I have this issue with other slings as well. They will chime if hit in a certain spot but not if they are hit too lightly or in the corners.

Could this be an issue with my chime box coils, or something else? I watched the chimes as I hit the skirt with a ball and they don’t move at all.

#2 5 years ago

Maybe the contact on the score relay for the chime isn't close enough? Or the hold circuit for that relay isn't engaging?

#3 5 years ago

Thanks, I’ll haven’t checked the score relays yet because some switches always chime, and the problem isn’t isolated to a specific score.
That seems like a good place to go next though. I’ll report back.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Maybe the contact on the score relay for the chime isn't close enough? Or the hold circuit for that relay isn't engaging?

What he said. Tighten the switch stack screws on each score relay, then clean each switch with a flexstone, and tweak the gap adjustment as needed. It also wouldn't hurt to overhaul the chime box unit if you suspect it's sticky.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I’ll haven’t checked the score relays yet because some switches always chime, and the problem isn’t isolated to a specific score.

I'm wondering if the pops just aren't sending a long enough pulse. Are these ac pops or dc?

#6 5 years ago

To elaborate on what others have said, the switches under the pop bumpers don't fire the score reel or the chime. The pop bumper skirt switch on either pop bumper fires the B/Pop Bumper relay which should hold itself on until the pop bumper reaches the bottom and opens the normally closed pop bumper end of stroke switch.

When the B/Pop Bumper relay fires it closes a switch that fires either the M/100 pt relay (on a 5 ball game) or the L/1000 pt relay (on a 3 ball game).

As zacaj and jrpinball mentioned, the M/100 pt or L/1000 pt relays fire the score reels and chimes so that's where you'd want to look if you're getting one but not the other.

And just like the B/Pop Bumper relay holds itself on until the pop bumper has reached it's full motion, the M/100 pt and N/1000 pt relays hold themselves on too until they see one of the score reels advance, which opens a switch to let the M or N relay relax.

The slingshots don't have their own relay. They fire the N/10 pt relay directly which should hold itself on until one of the 10 pt reels advances. If you're not getting a score and a chime for 10 points the N/10 pt relay would be a place to look.

/Mark

#7 5 years ago

Ok, I cleaned and adjusted all the point relays for good measure.

I haven’t resolved the issue unfortunately but I have some more data to share that might help in a solution.

When I set the game to 5 ball, everything scores and chimes as they should. The pops chime when a ball hits them, like they should. All is well.

But on a 3 ball game the pops will only score, not chime, when hit with a ball. (If I use my finger and touch the skirt the relay chimes and registers a score) Everything else scores and chimes as it should on a 3 ball game, even all the other 1000pt shots.

I don’t understand how the pops could work in 5 ball (suggesting the problem isn’t a switch adjustment or mechanical issue at the pops) and the 1000s relay works using every other switch to score 1000 points(suggesting the relay is in proper alignment.) But the pops still do not chime when a ball comes in contact with them for 1000pts.

I watched the relay while the pops were both manually triggered and had a ball roll into them. It seems to work exactly the same except no chime.

This leads me to believe the problem is somewhere in the 3 ball circuit. Unfortunately I left my DMM at work so the troubleshooting will have to continue tomorrow.

#8 5 years ago

The pops on many gottlieb change value from 100 - 1000 based on the ball count, maybe there's a bad connection in the ball count jack?

#9 5 years ago

There are three relays in the head box find the 100 relay it should be a switch

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I don’t understand how the pops could work in 5 ball (suggesting the problem isn’t a switch adjustment or mechanical issue at the pops) and the 1000s relay works using every other switch to score 1000 points(suggesting the relay is in proper alignment.) But the pops still do not chime when a ball comes in contact with them for 1000pts.

Yeah that is odd. What happens if you swap the 100 pt and 1000 pt chimes? Often the chime coils have removable connectors rather than soldered wires. You might be able to just slip off the 100 pt and 1000 pt connectors and swap them. Once you swap the chimes repeat your experiment with 3 vs 5 ball play.

If the 1000 pt chime fails now on 100 pts in 5 ball games that would indicate a problem with the chime.
If the 100 pt chime fails now on 1000 pts in 3 ball games that would indicate a problem up stream from the chimes.

#11 5 years ago

Solved.

I It turns out the pop bumper relay B had some clear tape on the face of the coil, inbetween the coil and the stack plate. It looks like the coil may have come like that from the factory and should’ve been removed before installation. I removed it and now I am getting those sweet chimes from my pop bumpers. I’m fact all the chimes sound cleaner and resonate a little more than they used to.

Thanks everyone for the help troubleshooting this with me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Lighting
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-setting-pop-bumpers-to-activate-chime-box and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.