You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DMD Controller - BF a (resized).jpg
DMD Controller - BW a ferrite (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi

I have been trying to help a friend get his Sega Batman Forever pin working ... I don't know all the history, but the game had quite a few issues ... the only remaining issue is that I need a Sega Display Large 192 x 64 DMD Controller (520-5092-01) board. Now that everything else in the Batman Forever is fixed, I was able to get the large DMD working by swapping in the Large Display Controller from my Baywatch game.

Attached are pics of the board I need (game ROMs were not in when I took the pics) ... the first pic shows the bad Board out of Batman ... a previous owner must have socketed almost every IC on the board ... I'm guessing they never figured out the problem! And I think they may have added a critical problem by removing a ferrite when they added sockets. The second pic shows the good board out of Baywatch ... curiously it has what seems to be a piece of ferrite under the U15 PAL (see the red circled area) ... I gotta think that this ferrite was absolutely critical or else it never would have been there ... maybe it reduces ringing on fast pulse edges? If anyone knows the REAL reason I'd like to know. Anyone know where I can get a piece like this so that I can remove the socket from the Batman board and try to re-install the PAL with the ferrite?

These boards can be found in Batman Forever, Baywatch, Maverick, Frankenstein and Cut the Cheese.
Anyone have one of these boards that you can sell me ??? please and thank you !!! Kevin

Parts - Wanted
Wanted! - “I am looking for a Sega Display Controller Board (not the DMD itself) for the 192x64 large DMD used in Maverick, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Baywatch, Batman Forever & Cut the...”
2021-03-21
Hamilton, ON
Wanted
Archived after: 443 days
Viewed: 236 times

DMD Controller - BF a (resized).jpgDMD Controller - BF a (resized).jpgDMD Controller - BW a ferrite (resized).jpgDMD Controller - BW a ferrite (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

A friend of mine had the same issue, turns out multiple PAL ICs were bad on his board. At the time, Mike Chestnut bought them programmed from Stern and replaced the defective ones. I think I read somewhere to reach out to Patrick Powers at Stern, they may still have some original stock of these ICs.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frankenstein-needs-pal-chips

#3 4 years ago

Glad people are still answering questions about these displays. Have a Batman forever too with non working display. It I’m digging through power issues to it first.

How do you know the pals chips have gone bad? Just curious.

1 month later
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

How do you know the pals chips have gone bad? Just curious.

Mike Chestnut tested and found them to be faulty.

1 year later
#6 2 years ago

Has anyone used this replacement controller board?
-Kyros

5 months later
#7 2 years ago

I am looking for this as well - DATA EAST SEGA PINBALL DMD 192X64 DISPLAY DRIVER CONTROLLER BOARD 520-5092-01

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-sega-display-large-192-x-64-dmd-controller-520-5092-01 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.