(Topic ID: 316416)

Road Show (Two balls eject at the start of a game....)

By alexanr1

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by alexanr1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

38B6D8FB-E0CE-465A-85A7-E20735136041 (resized).jpeg
A-14977 7 Opto Switch (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexanr1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Long story short, this started on with a (Check Fuses F115 and F116, J112 Opt board error)
- I have cleared all of this now and am at the current issue where two balls are ejected at the start of a game.

The Ball 4 Opto is definitely the issue but I can't find the root problem.

#1) I used a switch matrix tester that I have and the switch matrix works 100% (It tests directly at the MPU)
#2) All of the LED's in the through trough are working
#3) I swapped an unused opto with the #4 opto and it still doesn't work.

My main first question is, can I "jumper" anything on the A-14977 7 OPTO Switch board to see if the issue is on it?
- My concern is properly jumpering and not frying something.

Has anyone done this? Thanks in advance for support and thoughts....
NOTE: Stock image, not my opto board
A-14977 7 Opto Switch (resized).JPGA-14977 7 Opto Switch (resized).JPG

#2 1 year ago

Bump….

#4 1 year ago

When I set it in switch test mode, opto 4 never shows closed. All the other opto’s respond. I was assuming that because opto 4 didn’t respond it was causing the 2 ball isssue. Might be totally wrong with my analysis….

Appreciate the comment, I think you can get to close to an issue and be totally blinded by the real problem

SIDE NOTE: of all of my machines, I have spent more time working on RS than all the others combined!

#5 1 year ago

One additional data point. It is a 4 ball game. If I take one ball out the game plays fine. Doesn’t kick out two balls.

Does that provide any additional insights to anyone?

Help?..

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

I looked at the manual. Thinking out loud here...
Opto 1 a ball jam switch
If it is a ball jam, then when there are 4 balls in the trough, optos 2,3,4,5 should be closed. If 2,3,5 are closed and 4 is open, then it must be confused because they are out of order?
If 4 is always open and you have verified the emitters work, then the receiver is bad, the wiring is bad or something on the board. Have you jumpered the #4 opto with 12v at he board yet? It is J2-3 on the opto control board. Use J2-10 as the power to see if the switch closes in the test.
When you take a ball out does it give you a missing ball message? BEacuse based on the above, it would think it only has 2 balls.

Interestingly enough, it doesn’t give a missing ball message and from what I have read the game can be played with 3 balls.

I don’t clearly understand the small board that runs the opto’s. (See photo in thread) I am trying to understand a way to fake it out (with jumpers) and see if everything works from that board back.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Try all of the other switches in the same row. You probably have a separated wire at one of the other switches in the row

Just needed someone else to make me think differently. You are 100% correct. I found a white with green trace wire that was cut. It appears to be the root issue! As I discovered it, I found 4 wires in the exact same area frayed. The were pressed into a connector for Ted’s dozer plug and they look all really bad. It’s gonna take me an hour to clean it all up and was too tired tonight. Will give a final post once done but shout out to The Pump House for the suggestion!

#11 1 year ago

Just to close it out. I replaced the connector at Ted’s dozer. That is where the wires were broken. The flakiness of the dozer was related to this plug having issues as well. Everything back to 100%.

No on to my BabyPac man. It has some intermittent issues as well plus I have a new playfield overlay for it,

Full time job keeping the home machines working

38B6D8FB-E0CE-465A-85A7-E20735136041 (resized).jpeg38B6D8FB-E0CE-465A-85A7-E20735136041 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.95
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Boards
PinSound

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexanr1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-road-show-two-balls-eject-at-the-start-of-a-game?tu=alexanr1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.