• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0473 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hello
I'm a newbie to the pinball world. Let me get that out of the way first!! Looking to the Pinside community for help!

Just purchased a Williams Road Kings a couple of weeks ago. First pinball machine ever owned.
I'm not the most electronically inclined when it comes to repairs or electronics in general, but am definitely willing to learn.

My game is in really good condition, totally clean, and most everything is totally working fine.
One thing I'm having trouble with is the left flipper on the game. It worked great for a few days but has been getting weaker and weaker. I changed out the EOS switch and put in a new one, didn't fix the problem. When I start up the game, the flipper fires at around 50% strength, but if you keep playing the flipper gets worse and worse. If I turn the game off and start it up a hour later, same deal, flipper works for a while but gets worse and worse.
The flipper doesn't have the same 'snap' sound the fully functional right flipper has, it even sounds weaker, almost like something is dragging.

attached is a pic, the only thing different is, I did put a new EOS switch on, pic has the old one.

Any help on what is causing this is greatly appreciated

IMG_0473 (resized).jpgIMG_0473 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Couple things to check:
-Your coil has definitely been hot, probably a result of your EOS switch. There is a plastic internal sleeve that may have or probably has melted and is restricting the flipper plungers motion. You may be able to get it out, but I would start with a coil.
-Once the coil is replaced your need to confirm you fixed the original problem. If the flipper works fine, that does not mean your are in the clear. You have to make sure you are getting the switch from the pull in windings to the hold windings. Easy way to test this is feel. Engage the flipper and hold it, at the same time holding the coil. If it gets hot, not good. Start with a new coil, make sure you compare numbers and wire orientation. Feel free to PM me if you need a coil and we can go from there. Invest in a good soldering station as well, mans best friend when it comes to pinball.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from sudbeckrn:

Any help on what is causing this is greatly appreciated

You also need to clean or replace the cabinet switch for this flipper.

#4 4 years ago

do you happen to have a part number for the cabinet switch??
it also doesn't look in good shape, I went through the manual and couldn't find it anywhere

Thanks guys for your help!!

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from sudbeckrn:

do you happen to have a part number for the cabinet switch??

Here it is at Marco Specialties

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SW-10A-48

and here it is at Pinball Life

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-flipper-leaf-switch-single-contact.html

Wherever you order from, you'll probably want to make a list of other worn/broken parts you'll want to replace and order all at the same time. Welcome to the Pinball Club!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-road-kings-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.