(Topic ID: 33913)

Help requested 1969 Gottlieb Airport shuts down.

By JDCycle

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Machine resets fine. During first ball if any 100 point targets get hit it goes to game over. Further investigation actuating 100 point relay in back box same result. The machine will reset with the playfield removed with same result. All coils resistance appears in spec. All switches appear to be adjusted correctly. At times it will blow the 15 amp fuse. the actual contacts located on the 100 point relay appear to be a power supply to many of the playfield switches and can be traced to a number of the lower board relay contacts. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any help. Should I have posted this in EM Hangout? Would I be in violation if I posted both?
[email protected]

#2 11 years ago

Hmmm... I used to have a Gtb. Airport once
how about a few photos ?

#3 11 years ago

I'm going to move this into the EM hangout sub forum if you dont mind,
it should make it faster / easier to find by the EM crew we have now

#4 11 years ago

Thanks for the help. Will post pictures when the machine is back together along with the rest of the makeshift game room.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from JDCycle:

At times it will blow the 15 amp fuse.

Sounds like a short circuit somewhere caused by broken insulation rubbing against something causing that or two wired terminals touching , bad bulb ,possible short caused by playfield action when hitting a target ,bumper ,rollover,ect. that has a shorted path.

Lets narrow it down.

What circuit is controlled by this fuse ?

Maybe the jones plug is in wrong? causing the weird issues.

#6 11 years ago

Playfield out of the machine, problem duplicated. Main 15A fuse will blow at times. There are several circuits related and they seem to source from the reset bank game over relay and the tilt circuit is one of them and tests fine when tilt is forced. It would seem a shorted bulb would take down the 5v circuit and fuse? I have checked all over for terminals touching and found a couple to no avail.

#7 11 years ago

Mabe a shorted bell/chime coil or score reel coil?

#8 11 years ago

Check for screws under the Jones plugs. Gets me every time

-Jeff

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Sounds like a short circuit somewhere caused by broken insulation rubbing against something causing that .

First thing I thought of. My "Jungle" did that to me.

Best of luck.

#10 11 years ago

Short circuits are hard to find. You have done a great job narrowing it down. I would suggest you narrow it further.

First, you should make one of these, as it will save you time, money and aggravation:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Electrical_short_troubleshooting_Fuse_helper

Next, pull out your schematic and look up the 100 relay on the LEFT hand side. It is likely labeled L.

It will probably say something like: 9E L A-9735 AG 6A 100 Point Relay.

9E = location on schematic of the coil
L = shorthand schematic label
A-9735 = coil part number
AG = relay "type"
6A = 5 Normally Open switch stacks. There are 6 things this relay does. You need to find them ALL.

Now, either go back and find all the switch pairs on the schematic or just dive in. I would prefer to find the switch pairs. The following are from a Gottlieb Mini Cycle of the same era.
1. Lock in on the relay
2. Chime
3. To the high score circuitry
4. To the first and second hundreds unit
5. 0-9 match unit
6. To the thousands (K relay)

Now, start eliminating circuits. Maybe slip some paper in between the switches or desolder. Keep going until the circuit breaker no longer breaks.

Now you know what circuit you are on, and your detective work is reduced by a factor of 6.

Good Luck.

Todd
Team EM

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from JDCycle:

Main 15A fuse will blow at times.

Main?
If its the first fuse main then the power cord (cheap to replace) could have an internal short or the wall plug socket is Fubar.

Quoted from JDCycle:

It would seem a shorted bulb would take down the 5v circuit and fuse?

Best bet get a meter w/a beeper type option for continuity and start checking & moving the wires around to see if it triggers ,+ck sockets, +ck 4 bad bulbs too.

1 week later
#12 11 years ago

Thanks to all that stepped up to help. Rather than try to diag any further I pulled the motor board and head unit and completely overhauled them both. Found stuck ball count unit along with many burned bulbs. The game plays fine now. Thanks again.

#13 11 years ago

Airports a tough game to roll
-good luck with it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-requested-1969-gottlieb-airport-shuts-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.