(Topic ID: 152785)

Help replacing early SS Bally rectifier board

By westofrome

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
    schem_(resized).jpg
    harlemrectifier_(resized).jpg
    rect_(resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

I'm replacing a blown-out rectifier board with a new Pinhead board. When I took off the screws of the old one and pulled off the board, a rectangular metal plate fell off that was held between the board and the mounting plate (I'm holding it in the picture below). There was lots of white residue with it.

Do I need to re-screw it to the mounting plate prior to mounting the new board (even though the new board doesn't have through-holes for the screws like the original one)?

Thanks,
    Dave

rect_(resized).JPGrect_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

You don't need that plate any longer.

Clean that white thermal compound off with whatever grease cutter stuff you use, like "Fantastic".

#3 8 years ago

The new rectifiers are probably on top of your new board. That is heatsink grease from the old rectifiers.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks guys. The old rectifier was bolted to the back of the backbox and wired to the board, is that why the heatsink was needed? New board has three rectifiers on the board. First time doing this so just getting my bearings.

Other weird thing, I'm repinning the connectors and I discovered that there was no wire present for J3 pin 13 (Sol Buss). Now, this board was hacked to pieces and there were pins burnt off, soldered directly to the board, etc. but with this particular wire there was no evidence it even existed - there were no extra wires in the harness all the way around. Is this normal or do I need to replace? My ability to read the schematic is pretty limited. Thanks!

harlemrectifier_(resized).jpgharlemrectifier_(resized).jpg

schem_(resized).jpgschem_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgthere is no wire at pin 13

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-replacing-early-ss-bally-rectifier-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.