(Topic ID: 82062)

Help Replacing Bally Vector Plastics - Special Tools??

By NoCashValue

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0751.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So yesterday I received all new plastics from CPR for my Bally Vector pinball machine in the mail (Thank God!). Today I'm trying to put some stuff back on my playfield after my teardown. Anyway, a few of the plastics that come with the set are there to replace ones that have metal pieces mounted to them. I have a crappy cell phone pic of two of the parts in question below:

IMAG0751.jpgIMAG0751.jpg

For the Vector plastic in the picture, there is a metal bracket that has been riveted to the plastic. How do I get this off and how would I mount the metal piece back to the new plastic? Is there a special tool for this?

For the other plastic in the picture, there are several cone-shaped spacers that are affixed to the plastic. I was able to pry one off of the old plastic, but I tried to jam it into the new one with no luck. Again, is there some sort of special tool I can use to put these back on? I can use the old one, but honestly - look at the pic, mine are so yellowed that it would look awful to put them back side by side with new clear plastic.

Hoping some of you restorer pros can offer some help here. Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Drill bits and a drill press are the "special tools" you need to remove those parts. New rivets and a rivet press as well as new spacers or drill them out and lay them in place. The screws will hold everything together.

2 months later
#3 9 years ago

I was just about to start a thread asking about this. Spacers & drills huh? Hmm. Okay.

How does one carefully rivet said parts into the plastic without going too far and snapping it from the squeeze?

Also, any parts links to Marco, etc for the spacers?

#4 9 years ago

Rivet presses can be a tad expensive for a one-time use. You can also use small nuts & bolts, though it won't be original. There are also kits you can use without a press. Mileage may vary.

#5 9 years ago

For the metal bell housings use a small thin soldering iron place it inside the metal bell warm for 3 seconds and wiggle it out. Then while the bell is still on the iron line it up with the hole on the new plastic and hold for 2-3 seconds till it pops into the hole and as soon as it does remove the iron and sit it flush on a flat surface. The plastic will reform around the hole holding it in place. As for the rivets I drill them out from the back and use a small screw with a nut to replace.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

For the metal bell housings use a small thin soldering iron place it inside the metal bell warm for 3 seconds and wiggle it out. Then while the bell is still on the iron line it up with the hole on the new plastic and hold for 2-3 seconds till it pops into the hole and as soon as it does remove the iron and sit it flush on a flat surface. The plastic will reform around the hole holding it in place. As for the rivets I drill them out from the back and use a small screw with a nut to replace.

Okay, that sounds doable. But normally doesn't metal expand when heated? Wouldn't I want the opposite(shrinkage) effect? I know with the 3 bells I can rotate them somewhat.

I might keep the bell-attached pieces in place since they look pretty darn decent as-is and keep the new ones for spares.

#7 9 years ago

I have used this process of 17 different full restorations and never had any problems. It works but I
think your reading too much into it. As long as you keep the heat to a short time you won't have any issues. If you want to test it drill a couple of holes in the old plastic and do a couple of test runs prior to doing it on the new plastic.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Okay, that sounds doable. But normally doesn't metal expand when heated? Wouldn't I want the opposite(shrinkage) effect?

Plastic will soften long before metal will expand. If you get it hot enough to expand the metal the plastic will be junk.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-replacing-bally-vector-plastics-special-tools and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.