2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by High_End_Pins
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1282 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0070 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6619 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6621 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6623 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6624 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6625 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6628 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6626 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6627 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6633 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6630 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6631 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6634 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6635 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6637 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Backstory: A few months after getting into the hobby I bought a FH project which included a later run IPB PF (has the “Diamond Plate” logo). The seller was in the Chicago area and I arranged for someone to transport it back to NJ but they weren’t able to get it back east for a couple of months. This was fine since I wasn’t in any rush and I still needed to do a bunch of research about the restoration process so based on what I’d learned during that time I knew the first thing needing done was getting the PF cleared. Since this was getting picked up in the Chicago area I had them drop it off at HSA for the clearing. After a couple of months HSA returned my freshly cleared PF and it looked great. That was 2011…

Fast forward to mid-2016 when I finally begin the restoration. I had stored the PF flat under my bed for a couple of years before I hung/clamped it on the wall after noticing it had developed a slight warp/twist. It was nothing major and I figured if the clamping didn’t fully straighten it out it would fully take care of itself once side rails were installed and it was fully populated. Anyway, after all these years the clear still looked great but noticed it had settled ever so slightly around a couple of the inserts. I’m sure it was a combination of both the clear fully curing and the wood drying out but it wasn’t noticeable or bothersome enough to warrant sending out to be re-cleared so full speed ahead with the resto.

I began working on it for several months in earnest until kids, life, etc. took me out of my groove around April/May of last year. At that point I was probably 90% done with the entire resto and, with the exception of the ramps and apron, the PF was almost fully populated top and bottom. The PF has been sitting in my rotisserie, face up, since April/May last year.

I was finally able to get back to it over the weekend and when I went to clean dust off the top of the PF I immediately noticed several inserts had raised, the clear had settled significantly in some areas and out-right cracked in others???? I don’t know what the f*ck could have happened and I’m absolutely sick over it!!! My workshop and other pins are all in a temp and humidity controlled basement.

Does anyone have an idea of why this happened? Was it because I left it in the rotisserie for so long? Do you think this is fixable without spending a mint on re-working it or do you think I’d be better off getting another repro PF? There’s no way I could finish the resto and leave the PF as-is as that would bother the shit out of me. However, the thought de-populating the entire PF again to send it out or replacing with a new one really, really sucks just as bad. Man this sucks……..

IMG_6637 (resized).jpg

IMG_6635 (resized).jpg

IMG_6634 (resized).jpg

IMG_6631 (resized).jpg

IMG_6630 (resized).jpg

IMG_6633 (resized).jpg

IMG_6627 (resized).jpg

IMG_6626 (resized).jpg

IMG_6628 (resized).jpg

IMG_6625 (resized).jpg

IMG_6624 (resized).jpg

IMG_6623 (resized).jpg

IMG_6621 (resized).jpg

IMG_6619 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

I would guess the glue wasn't strong enough over the years to hold the lenses secure. Probably depopulate the top, remove & secure lenses that are problems (epoxy). Secure lenses that appear ok from bottom. Sand & clean playfield (naptha), & then get it clear coated again. I have always used epoxy for my new playfields & lenses. Same as CPR over the years, I know epoxy used by me was their choice way back years ago. Mirco uses his robots, don't know what he is using or others making playfields. I have seen Bally & Williams playfields with loose to secure lenses 1978 - 1985.

IMG_0070 (resized).JPG

IMG_1282 (resized).JPG

#3 2 years ago

Only fix if it bothers you this much is to redo it.
    The playfield is well cured at this point and has experienced some rebuilding trauma and weighting. It is likely but never guaranteed that inserts and such have settled at this point but there is more to it.
    The thing you might not realize is that the way the wood and inserts interact is based on load as well as expansion and contraction.
    The inserts and wood become more loaded in some spots once populated,weighted,upside down,and that can make pressure points in places that were not there when blank and bare.
    When you cut a hole in wood then insert a plastic plug(insert) it is no longer solid.
    Now if you refinish that surface to perfection unloaded it looks good. Now load it and the pressure points change.
    When you add weight pulling from below say a coil mech or leave it clamped in a rotisserie for a while the micro gap between the wood and insert shows signs of stress because that weight may be forcing the plug out from the change in pressure points.
    I don’t have a real opinion about any of it just understand the concept of why and how it happens. Maybe too technical but the real point is the playfield structure has a lot to adapt to and the finish is the most fragile part.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 7.50
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 218.00
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 89.99
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside