9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by djblouw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MVIMG_20200410_172420 (resized).jpg
    F2AC97AA-4C0C-4812-AEB8-21561E351A2E (resized).jpeg
    MVIMG_20200410_124009 (resized).jpg

#1 9 months ago

I am doing a playfield swap on a Banzai Run and I broke a couple posts off screwing them into the new playfield. Can anyone recommend a good way to extract the broke post?

MVIMG_20200410_124009 (resized).jpg
    #2 9 months ago

Drill a small hole then slightly bigger. Buy a easy out and turn it out.

#3 9 months ago

Dremel a slot in the end if there is enough room, then us a screw driver to remove.

#4 9 months ago

Don’t risk damaging the Playfield. Get one of these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Spiral-Screw-Extractor-Set-5-Piece-A96SE51/205469301

There are other styles too.

#5 9 months ago

Ok, first I have to ask how hard are you torquing these things down to snap them? I see stress cracks in the clear around the ball guide screw too. Ease these in...
    That screw looks way too small to try to center drill and use a a standard extractor on.
    Now. What I would do. I’d buy a screw extractor from Rockler. It’s a pain in the arse to use but it drills *around* the broken screw. I use these when I can drill a new hole all the way through. I then use a post I can secure with a locknut underneath. Far more secure against angry pinballs.
    *extractor disclaimer. Much easier to use if you make a guide block to drill through and clamp it down to the playfield-examples of this are online- and these things are brittle. If you screw up and hit the metal screw, it will break some teeth. If you don’t have a Rockler nearby, order two.
    And note they have several sizes. Pick the one that works for you.
    F2AC97AA-4C0C-4812-AEB8-21561E351A2E (resized).jpeg

#6 9 months ago

Are you drilling a pilot hole before installing the stud?If not you need to.

#7 9 months ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Are you drilling a pilot hole before installing the stud?If not you need to.

Yes this was my mistake. I need to drill out each hole to make them a little bigger. The copper type post studs are very weak and it doesn't take much to break them. It didn't take much tork at all.

MVIMG_20200410_172420 (resized).jpg
    #8 9 months ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

Ok, first I have to ask how hard are you torquing these things down to snap them? I see stress cracks in the clear around the ball guide screw too. Ease these in...
    That screw looks way too small to try to center drill and use a a standard extractor on.
    Now. What I would do. I’d buy a screw extractor from Rockler. It’s a pain in the arse to use but it drills *around* the broken screw. I use these when I can drill a new hole all the way through. I then use a post I can secure with a locknut underneath. Far more secure against angry pinballs.
    *extractor disclaimer. Much easier to use if you make a guide block to drill through and clamp it down to the playfield-examples of this are online- and these things are brittle. If you screw up and hit the metal screw, it will break some teeth. If you don’t have a Rockler nearby, order two.
    And note they have several sizes. Pick the one that works for you.
    [quoted image]

Great suggestion, i just ordered one of these. It maybe the only way to go. They are not stress cracks you are seeing, just micro scratches in the clear.

#9 9 months ago

Will that be visible once the playfield is populated?

#10 9 months ago
    Quoted from Gritty:

Great suggestion, i just ordered one of these. It maybe the only way to go. They are not stress cracks you are seeing, just micro scratches in the clear.

Ugh. Why does everyone keep suggesting these? They leave an ugly patch in your pf. Not what you want to see on a restored machine.

Here is the best solution. Not as cheap as the ugly bore & plug method. But a better method used by pros:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-joust-restore-insert-catchy-title-here/page/2#post-4552766

#11 9 months ago

Heck no on that huge hole saw! Use a small center punch or hardened nail head to put a start point in the center of that screw. Put painters tape around the area to protect from scratches. Slowly Drill a 1/16” hole down the center of that screw. Proceed to a 3/32” or 1/8 inch drill after. When clear, If the hole is a bit large put a drop of epoxy or filler in the hole and drill new hole to mount post and done.

#12 9 months ago

I suggested it because I restore dozens of playfields a year and use these whenever I run across a broken stud topside, particularly if it was broken by ball contact. Using a locknut/washer under the playfield makes for a more secure post when the job is done. What type of ugly patch are you talking about? This method drills a hole through the playfield that you then fill with a new post and secure from below. I’m not talking about using it for under playfield screws, there’s a hundred other ways to skin that cat.
    That said, I followed your link and am willing to try that method next time if I remember it. You can never have too many tools.

Quoted from djblouw:

Ugh. Why does everyone keep suggesting these? They leave an ugly patch in your pf. Not what you want to see on a restored machine.
    Here is the best solution. Not as cheap as the ugly bore & plug method. But a better method used by pros:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-joust-restore-insert-catchy-title-here/page/2#post-4552766

#13 9 months ago

I have had great success just putting some thick tape on the playfield for protection, then drilling a very small (1/16) hole in the center of the broke off screw, then use a hand turned drive (not powered) screw extractor that is just a tad bit bigger than your 1/16. It will grab and get the screw up above the playfield just enough to then either 1.dremel a slot in it to remove it with a small straight screwdriver OR, place tiny vice grips on it and turn it out the rest of the way. I've used this method many times without failure for 10+ years. It is time consuming but if successful, you can never tell anything was ever wrong with that screw/post.

#14 9 months ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

I suggested it because I restore dozens of playfields a year and use these whenever I run across a broken stud topside, particularly if it was broken by ball contact. Using a locknut/washer under the playfield makes for a more secure post when the job is done. What type of ugly patch are you talking about? This method drills a hole through the playfield that you then fill with a new post and secure from below. I’m not talking about using it for under playfield screws, there’s a hundred other ways to skin that cat.
    That said, I followed your link and am willing to try that method next time if I remember it. You can never have too many tools.

Sorry, didn’t mean professional pinball restorers; Wooden boat restorers, and all the screws that break off from rust.

If it’s a high hit area, coring the screw out and adding a t-but would be okay. But this is just a simple plastic spacer post. Plus it looks awfully close to that lamp socket. I’d rather replace it with the same type post, I to the same hole.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Electronics
    PIN-UPS
    $ 11.95
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Led
    B & K Mods
    $ 6.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 6,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 360.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 750.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 189.99
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Boards
    PinSound
    $ 30.00
    Apparel - Men
    Pinball Haus
    $ 85.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside