• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

228890-i.jpg
photo 1 (Large).JPG
#1 9 years ago

So I am selling my police force this weekend and I was up front with buyer and let him no that one GI string is going on and off... From lamp matrix table it is row 2... Under playfield wiring is good (I believe I checked it right) pulled interconnect board to look for any cracked solder joints... Looked good but reflowed just in case.. Still out. Sometimes it would work for awhile but last few days it was out...

I put in single lamp test mode and momentarily grounded Q81 which it's associated with lamp row 2... Now it works. If I turn game off and on it takes light 15-30 seconds for lamp row 2 to get going but then it works fine...

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dan

#2 9 years ago

Tuesday morning bump... Thanks dan

#3 9 years ago

I would check all the connectors that are part of the row circuitry. Wiggle them while the game is on and see if the lamps start working/not working. With the game off, tug lightly on the row 2 wire where it goes into the connector and see if it's loose.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

I would check all the connectors that are part of the row circuitry. Wiggle them while the game is on and see if the lamps start working/not working. With the game off, tug lightly on the row 2 wire where it goes into the connector and see if it's loose.

That was first thing that I did... I have even pulled wires and reseated with the installation tool..

Dan

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

If I turn game off and on it takes light 15-30 seconds for lamp row 2 to get going but then it works fine..

Based on this you'll have to work pretty quickly, but I would check the input and output on the interconnect board with a DMM or logic probe (better choice). That will identify if it's a board problem.

#6 9 years ago

I have a DMM... Could you please describe how I should do this... Thanks

#7 9 years ago

Try some freeze-spray (canned air upside down) across the same connectors as well as possibly the transistors and other components coming from the connectors on the MPU and see if that isolates where the problem is, since it seems like it's thermal failing component. I would bet there is a bad solder joint on the MPU or something?

#8 9 years ago

The online manual is extremely hard to read, but I think I've got the correct test points. Row 2 will be a red/blk wire so you can confirm I've got the correct pin on the connector.

Meter set to DC (20 volt range or whatever is close), black lead on ground and red lead on each of the following test points (one at a time): J3-17, J14-2 and J15-2. After you're setup to take the first reading turn on the game and see what reading you get and if it changes after 15-30 seconds when row 2 starts working. Don't worry about the reading prior to the game booting up since it will change during that period.

#9 9 years ago

Those are correct connector locations... Where do I actually put the red lead? Inside connector?
Thanks

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Inside connector?

Yes, it can be a little difficult to hit the right spot, but you'll get the hang of it after a few tries.

#11 9 years ago

Perfect ( that's what I was doing under playfield but wasn't sure I was doing it right and why I concluded all was well under there)

#12 9 years ago

Ok here's what I got... Lights were not work and I was getting around constant 16v on the MPU pin for this lamp row. I checked other pin next to it and looked like it ranged from like 5v - 14v in attract mode. I temporarily grounded Q81 again and all the light worked again.. (They will stay on and function as intended). When I recheck voltages I am getting around 5V (edit think 10v) - 14v just like other pins now...

Ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks
Dan

#13 9 years ago

Where did you take the reading? As I explained earlier you need to check in the 3 places I noted while the inserts are not working.

#14 9 years ago

Yes I check those places and they were same readings everywhere (when lights worked and did not) they matched the reading on mpu

#15 9 years ago

Sounds like you've got a broken wire between the interconnect board and the playfield. With the game off check continuity from any of those connector points I gave you to one of the switches in that row (red-blk wire). Do this when the machine is cold and hopefully the problem will exist at that time (since it seems to go away after the game is on for a while).

Just to confirm, none of the lights in row 2 work?

#16 9 years ago

Check continuity to all PF and it's fine... From a cold start. Game sat over a hour, it took 6 minutes and then that GI string row worked.

Lost here...

#17 9 years ago

Anyone else? Is something failing upstream ?? Transistor or further upstream?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Transistor or further upstream?

I'd replace the transistor, if that doesn't do it then the first IC upstream from it.

LTG : )™

#19 9 years ago

Yes install a TIP102

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd replace the transistor, if that doesn't do it then the first IC upstream from it.

Makes sense.

#21 9 years ago

Q81 was replaced and problem still exists

Does anyone know acceptable replacement for IC7406 which is next upstream one and dont have one of those

#22 9 years ago

There is no substitute for a 7406, just different manufacturers.

#23 9 years ago

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7406

Ed has them. Don't know if rat shack does.

#24 9 years ago

So why would that lamp row work after the machine has been on for several minutes and the work perfectly?

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

So why would that lamp row work after the machine has been on for several minutes and the work perfectly?

Something is warming up and then working. component, trace, solder joint. These are the issues that can drive you nuts. Easy fix, near impossible to find.

#26 9 years ago

Can I test/ check before I pull? If so how.. Thanks

#27 9 years ago

Buy a logic probe and then you can accurately walk through the circuit. The problem is with it being intermittent it's a tough problem to nail down.

#28 9 years ago

So after unnecessary replacing 7406 I pushed on R114, and then d6 or d7 I noticed the lamp row would turn on... Pulled and replaced and voila the lamp row that was out worked!!!! Thanks all that chimed in...

So question on how I could have solved this better... What would you have done to solve this issue? Any responses would be appreciated... Dan

#29 9 years ago

It's often hard to explain everything to check when helping someone out since there are so many things that a seasoned tech does without even thinking about. Pushing on components is one of those things. I do it without even thinking about it. Also visual inspections will catch a ton of problems, but if you don't have the experience then you wouldn't know what to look for.

A good way to look at it is to use all of your senses. Sometimes the sound of a coil firing, the smell or feel of an overheated component, the look of a solder joint will get you there faster than pulling out your meter.

Intermittent problems are a pain no matter how much experience you have. Overall you did pretty good, and learned a few lessons along the way.

Last but not least--tools. Lamp and switch matrix problems are a lot easier when you have a logic probe (at least in my opinion, some will disagree).

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

What would you have done to solve this issue?

Pretty much the same path you took. Intermittent problems can be tough to find and easy to fix.

LTG : )

#31 9 years ago

Shotgunning a repair is never good.

You waste parts. Yeah, they may be inexpensive, but it's worse than that.

You're soldering on a board unnecessarily. Heat is the enemy of the board. Even if you're good, and have experience, you can make a mistake, burn a trace off the board, pull a plated through hole.

Plus, what if you did that in the process of replacing the transistor, predriver and 7406? Now, you've got *20* solder points that could be messed up - some on both sides of the board - and some going multiple places! So, now you're messing with your schematic, trying to figure out what plated through hole you pulled. Better hope you didn't change the PIA - that's *another* 40 solder points. See where I'm going?

The way I troubleshoot these things - buy a logic probe. They are cheap. Get the schematic out, and look at a *working* row. Look at the state of the components in the working row. Compare Q81 to the same part in a working row. Does it behave the same? If so, you can be sure with a fair degree of likelihood that the problem is *after* Q81. If Q81 doesn't behave like another nearby row, go back the other direction on the schematic and work your way back to the PIA. Compare the PIA output tied to the non-working row to the PIA output tied to a working row.

At first, you're going to say, this takes more time than just shotgunning. Well, it may at first, because you're learning how to use your logic probe, and learning how the circuit works.

But, when you do this next time... or the time after that, you'll be ready.

Another good investment? Leon's test ROM and a used computer power supply. Wire the ground, +5 and +12 to the CPU board, throw the test ROM in U27, and it'll pulse the PIAs up and down in rhythm. It'll do all the PIAs. Then, you can grab your logic probe, and see where the signal stops *on your workbench*. This is helpful, as that allows you to have good light and easy access.

This is an ATX power supply from a 10+ year old computer, modified to provide +5, +12 and -12 0 I use it to bench test boards of all varieties. Plugs allow me to have a pigtail for different styles of boards, as different mfg/era require different pinouts.

228890-i.jpg228890-i.jpg

This is my WMS Factory test fixture for Sys 9 and 11. Works great to allow me to probe around with a logic probe and trace things out. After years of digging around in dark backboxes with logic probes, I finally located one of these. Very helpful tool - but for the casual pinball enthusiast, completely unneccesary.

photo 1 (Large).JPGphoto 1 (Large).JPG

#32 9 years ago

Thanks for advice guys... I think a logic probe will be an upcoming purchase... I actually did touch everything from sockets, interconnect, MPU, components but I didn't give those guys on MPU a firm enough push... Lesson learned!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-police-force-lamp-row-out-and-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.